“GOOD FOOD: POOR SERVICE” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Rates from just $129!
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Rye Brook
Floral Park, NY
“GOOD FOOD: POOR SERVICE”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My family attended my grandaughter's involvment in the Miss Teen U.S.A. Competition. Ten of us ate at the Harth. There were five children who are veterans at eating in retaurants and quite honestly, and many of you know the drill they were all on their I-Pads, blackberries or texting, so they were extremely well-behaved. When the waiter approached he appeared to have preferred root canal. The unfortunate part was the food was exceptional, but every step of the journey was like pulling teeth. I would like the wait-person to understand that his pre-judgment of what he expected did not occur. We are well-mannered, excellent tippers and he was out of line. The manager did do her best to remedy this situation, and I thank her for going above and beyond. I actually look forward to eating there again, because as I already stated the food was great.

Room Tip: Try and stay close to the elevators, the walk from many rooms is large. Staff were exceptional from...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
DeniseRubin, Manager at Hilton Westchester, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear Peter C,

Thank you for posting your comments via Trip Advisor. I am happy that you enjoyed your fodd and that you will return. Of course I am very concerned in regards to the comments about the waiter. Our hotel is family friendly, pet friendly and welcomes all. I would be happy to know when you may return so that I can assure you receive the proper service you deserve.

502 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed here on Saturday night, Jan. 19, 2013, with 5 kids for my daughter's 11th b-day party. We had 2 connecting queen bed rooms, one for the 4 girls, and one for my husband, me and our 8 yr old boy. The hotel was very accommodating, making us a dinner reservation, and nice to the girls. The breakfast buffet, while not the largest selection ever, did have very high quality baked goods, and the best bagels we've ever seen in a hotel. Clearly they get them from a local bagel shop, and not some commissary. We were pleased overall.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear JMS18,

Thank you for posting your comments via Trip Advisor as well as spending your daughter's 11th birthday with us. It is always nice to hear the positive feedback, I will share your experience with the team. The majority of our food is purchased from local vendors and farms, thank you for noticing. We look forward to your next visit.

New Castle, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stay in this hotel quite a bit on business and have watched the transformation made through their renovations. The down side to this hotel is the resturant and lounge staff, especially the dining room during dinner. Long waits, servers who make you feel like you are inconveniencing them and the limited menu make for a not so great dining experience. If it was not for the extrordinary front desk staff, I would have given a much lower overall rating. The hotel is not inexpense and it is just about the only game in town. There are certainly other resturants around, but after a day of travel or work, who wants to venture back out for dinner? I saw some improvement in resturant staff during my last visit, so I am hoping they are on their way to fixing the only thing keeping them from being great.

Room Tip: This hotel is sprawling, so unless you want a long walk from the lobby to your room, request a room...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear dmazzei,

Let me start by saying thank you for posting your comments and providing us with a higher rating. The new restaurant (harth) is an extremely important feature of our renovated hotel. The service must be there to make your overall experience a positive one. Please know I will be sharing your comments with the Director of Food & Beverage and both of our focus will be the importance of customer satisfaction, hospitality and overall service. Please do not hesitate to contact myself directly if I can be of further assistance.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My boyfriend and I were looking for a getaway and we made the best decision by staying at Hilton Westchester. We spoke to Mohammed over the phone regarding our reservations and he made us feel so comfortable and welcomed. After meeting him in person, we couldn't believe what a true gem and a remarkable human being he was. Mohammed is the best example of customer service we've even seen. We enjoyed the indoor pool and Jacuzzi. There are many restaurants near by a long with shopping centers and movie theatre. We would definitely stay here again after our amazing experience, all thanks to Mohammed!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
denise r, Manager at Hilton Westchester, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Vanrog C,

Thank you for choosing us and sharing your experience via TripAdvisor. We are very happy you and your boyfriend had a great getaway. I will share your comments with the team as well as Mohammed. He will be very excited to see the comments you wrote. Thank you again see you soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Pulling up to the covered entrance a sprawling complex is evident. Some newly renovated features very pleasing to the eye. We stop and get out, pop the trunk and a gentleman wearing a blue jacket approaches and asks if we want to valet. I tell him yes and he informs me of the $14 daily charge. When I tell home that's fine he almost seemed annoyed that I accepted this.

Check-in was easy. The major remodel of the lobby and restaurant is seen here with new seating areas and a fireplace.

The halls on the way to the room were somewhat drab with a slight unpleasant odor, maybe a mildew smell. Nothing looked dirty.

The rooms were nice, what you expect from a Hilton that was just remodeled. Beds comfortable. No extra sheets, blankets, or pillows in the room. Poorly built and too narrow closet doors in the living room of our suite.

Headed up to the bar and tried to get a draft beer. No draft available. Something about running out of gas for the draft system. Ok, ordered a bottled beer off the menu. Sorry, don't have that one either...

Went out to the front to get the car brought around. I had to get the valet ticket stamped first so back in to the front desk. Car came, the valet didn't give me back the ticket as they usually do if you are staying multiple nights, didn't think twice about it. Left to have a nice dinner.

Upon return got the same surprised / annoyed greeting by what appears to be a contract valet guy. Got a new ticket, had to go to front desk to get it stamped... Are you kidding me? This huge hotel and they can't figure out how to run a valet service without being a hassle to their guests, something every other hotel on the planet knows how to do?

The following day we gather in the lobby bar for lunch, again told try have no gas for their draft beers. This is NY. There is no CO2 available to a major Hilton facility in NY? Doubt it.

Had a plumbing problem in our bathroom, told the front desk, said it would be taken care of. Went through the same dance with the valet again, got car and hopped a train to the city. Upon return new valet ticket with same $14 speech, need to get it stamped, no gas for drafts in bar, plumbing still screwed up in the room.

Starting to wonder if there is any management in this hotel. Anyway, not gonna let it ruin the rest of our trip. None of these issues are terrible, but certainly not what this Hhonors member expects from a large Hilton property.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear TJwolf,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience via TripAdvisor. We are sorry to hear of the disappointing encounters you had with our valet service and bar offerings and we will share your comments with the appropiate team members to work on a solution. We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced in your room that may have hindered your impression of our property as we strive to provide the best in comfort and service. We hope you were able to enjoy your time in the city and that you might give us another opportunity to provide the quality hospitality and accomodations you expect and deserve from our brand should you return to the city in the future.

Southampton, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I liked it. It wasn't perfect but we got a very good price on this one. It was very close to the Capital Theatre in Port Chester which was our ultimate destination and if that's yours it is an easy 1+ mile down the road.

If you are looking for the Ritz Carlton, this isn't it, but the people that worked there were very friendly. If you have kids its good and if you like the indoor pool/jacuzzi on a cold wintery day as we did, this place is fine.

While I settled on a ''very good'' - my title was meant to reflect that your expectations should be realistic...its either a lower very good or an ''above average, average''.

Hope that helps.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
denise r, Manager at Hilton Westchester, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear kaluss,

Thank you for the very good rating. I will share your comments with the team, we do hope you will visit again.

Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed here for 6 nights over the Christmas holiday. We make a lot of trips to this area and wanted to try something different from our usual hotel because the Hilton allows dogs. We're tired of paying boarding fees and wanted to check this out. The room price was very, very reasonable (much less than the summertime rate) so that was helpful too. The location was very convenient - close to I-95 and 287 and close to a couple of small shopping centers which have some nice grocery stores, a pharmacy, restaurants, etc.

The hotel is located in a woodsy area and it's hugh. Our room was located a short walk from the main lobby and was big and clean even though the carpet was a bit stained. The bed was very comfortable, the linens were crisp and felt clean every night. (I didn't think the pillows were quite as nice and asked about getting a couple of feather pillows but the front desk clerk assured me the pillows were feather. They didn't feel like any feather pillows I've ever slept on but that's a minor quibble). The bathroom was very nice; the shower had amazing water pressure, plenty of hot, hot water and the bath towels were big and thick.

Although there were plenty of dogs in the hotel, we would never have known they were allowed in the facility since there was no evidence of it.... a good thing!

We only ate breakfast once in the restaurant and were surprised how good it was. The prices initially seemed a bit high (which is true of everything in the NY metro area) but it was well worth the money; everything was very hot and there was so much food neither one of us could finish our meal.

There were only two things I wish we'd known ahead of time so we could have made different arrangements. Our room had a connecting door to the room next door so we could hear everything going on in there. Our first neighbors were VERY LOUD and seem to stand next to the door all night to yell at each other. Although the front desk clerk told us we could be moved to another room, we didn't want to go through that process. (We also kept hoping our neighbors would quiet down but they didn't). They finally checked out and the next group weren't particularly noisy but every sound from the excited, noisy children came through the door. On our next visit, we will request a "non-connecting" room.

The second issue is a safety one. This may have only been true in our room, but there was a drop of about 1-2" from the bathtub to the floor. That doesn't sound like much but if you're a little older, or have ankle or foot issues, that is a potential problem...especially when wet. After our first shower, we were both careful how we got out of the tub.

Overall it was a very pleasant stay and we'll make sure to bring our bathing suits on the next visit. The indoor pool looked very nice & we were sorry not to be able to take advantage of it.

Room Tip: Ask for non-connecting room and be careful getting out of the shower; there may be a drop from the t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Biilsburg 1981,

Thank you for the comments in regards to your stay with us. I am happy that you enjoyed the hotel as well as the services. I was wondering if you could possibly give me a call with our room number so we can check the tub and bathroom floor. I will share all your comments with the team, it is always nice to hear our guests feedback. Have a wonderful New Year and hope you stay with us again soon.

914-934-2540

Been to Hilton Westchester? Share your experiences!