“Superb hotel-Excellent Value!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“Superb hotel-Excellent Value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

I stayed one night with my 13 year old daughter. We booked through Hotels.com and got a great rate of $129 a night which was $30 less than the hotel's website. This is a GREAT value for the money. This hotel is a solid 4+ star. There is an indoor/outdoor pool with very comfortable lounge chairs and you can have room service deliver pool side. Tennis courts and golf courts looked perfectly maintained though we didn't use them. The room service menu is limited but the food was very good. Most of all we LOVED the room. Our room had 2 queen beds which were both as comfortable as any hotel I've stayed in. Each bed had 2 feather and 2 synthetic pillows which were plump and much better than most hotel pillows (I'm picky about pillows and bring my own but these would have been fine). The linens were upscale comforters and the toiletries were some of the best I've seen, including cotton balls and q-tips in a lovely glass container. The room was positiely immaculate and the air conditioning worked well. It was nice not to have to deal with a/c that noisely turns itself on and off all night like many hotels. Black out drapes made sleeping in very easy. Our room had 3 telephones, a TV with good remote, decent lighting, 2 desks both with internet ports (and ethernet cables) and good closet and drawer space. The gym looked modern and well equipped. My cousins who live nearby are members and I can see it is a gym worth paying membership for. The only things lacking were an in-refridgerator and a hotel spa (massages are available on weekends by prior arrangement). Staff at this hotel from valet parking to the front desk and room service were polite, friendly and helpful. I felt we got a great deal on a really nice place to stay in the NYC area. We were staying for a family event nearby but I would return for a weekend getaway if I could get a great deal again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

We enjoyed our stay at the Doral Arrowwood. Our room was very nice with a comfy king size bed. It was spotlessly clean although not exactly new. Everything was more than acceptable. We had two glitches. The safe could not be used until someone came to reset it and the tv also had to be reset, so we never got to use it during our stay. Fortunately, we would rather read that watch tv. Ours said "welcome Mrs So-and-So" on it and it wasn't our name! I mentioned this at checkout and no discount was offered.

I noticed that we were charged for a phone call we didn't make, and they were nice about removing it from our bill without a question.

The place is huge so be prepared to walk a lot. Our room was far from the elevator and if I had to go back for anything, it was quite a hike. It would be worth requesting one closer to the elevators.

We ate at Mulligans, the outdoor restaurant and my salad was very good. Later I had a turkey club at the Pub, which was okay, not great. The breakfast buffet was wonderful although very crowded on the weekend. It would be nice to pour your own coffee rather than having to wait for staff to do it. Sometimes they were quick and other times you had to flag them down.

The pool is not large. There is a lot of foot traffic going by that spot as well as many loud airplanes zooming overhead. I don't golf, but friends described the course as challenging.

The noise from the planes was a minor nuisance inside the room. Not really an issue for us.

Best of all was the staff. Very friendly and accommodating. The bellman even took us to our car in a golf cart. If you do not use the expensive valet parking, expect to walk a bit of a distance uphill to the parking lot. Overall, we were happy with our stay here.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

My fiance and I have stayed at the Doral twice over the last month this summer to get away from the city and just relax. We definitely loved the room and its comfy bed, as well as the pool, which was great (though one thing they don't warn you about is the constant roar of planes landing in the nearby airport, which happens every few minutes but you get used to it)...the front desk folks were quite nice as were the valets and bellman (Carlos, I think--so kind!)...but the only grievance I have is that this past stay, my fiance and I were preparing to eat dinner in our room, and because of religious observance, we needed salt with our challah bread, which we mistakenly forgot to bring. We called the front desk (we forgot the salt the last time as well, and they sent some without a problem within minutes), and they directed our call to room service, who told us they could send some packets to us....for a three dollar delivery charge! I could have bought 3 containers of iodized salt for that price! I'm sorry if it takes some effort to grab a few salt packets and bring it to one's room, but I'm not sure if it's worth three bucks! Needless to say, we did without the salt on the first night but then found some outside of the dining room on a stroll through the hotel, so we saved ourselves the ridiculous charge...Overall, the hotel is a great escape from the city and the grounds are great, but next time, I'm going to remind myself to bring salt.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

The hotel itself is very nice. The restaurants were great and the breakfast buffet is amazing! The valet parking is a great convenience. BUT, airplanes were constantly taking off and landing all day long and into the night at the nearby Westchester Airport. We couldn't talk to each other at the outdoor pool because of the constant noise from the planes. The noise in the rooms was not much better. Hard to sleep.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

Stayed here a few weeks ago for two nights. Our room was nice, good size and clean. The property is beautiful and the location is hard to beat, close to NYC and just minutes from White Plains etc. We had Sunday brunch while we were here and found it To be ok the items offered were on the cheap side lots of eggs, breads fruits etc no meats or fish. The front desk staff seem to have an atitude that wasn't pleasing this would be my biggest complaint.We would stay here agian i thought it was a good value.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

We settled on Doral because we needed to go somewhere near NYC and we wanted a place that had a pool, tennis, and golf. Doral meets those criteria, and as long as you know what to expect, it's fine. I guess we were expecting more.

Where to begin? Start with the room. Tiny bathroom with poor lighting and poor ventilation. Restaurants were awful. What diff does it make to have a seafood buffet when everything is horrible? Service was worse. Couldn't get a cup of coffee at breakfast any morning, despite the fact that lots of waitstaff were milling about. The pool is tiny and there's hardly any space near poolside. People spilled over in the lawn nearby. It looked ridiculous and cheap. Tennis was nice, though, as was the golf course.

Having stayed at a lot of FS and Ritz resorts, coming here was a total letdown. I almost wish we had just stayed at the White Plains RC.

Ultimately you get what you pay for, but in my mind it wasn't worth it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
ArrowwoodGenManager, General Manager at Doral Arrowwood, responded to this review, August 6, 2010
Doral Arrowwood appreciates receiving feedback from guests who choose to stay with us.
While Doral Arrowwood offers both service and amenities similar to those at Ritz Carlton
and Four Seasons properties, it is also important to us to maintain a value-oriented pricing structure. For this reason, guests return to Doral Arrowwood - because we provide a unique property and exceptional service, all at an excellent value. We apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations.

Steve Mabus
west plam beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

To whom it may concern,
i checked in the Dorral Arrowwood Hotel on July 23, 2010 . i was there for a 30 yr class reunion. i have to say that it was my first time at this hotel and it was a wonderful experience.
from the the time that you arrive at the hotel and are greeted by the valets to park your car, to the front desk attendant Marvin, to Carlos the bellman, to Mickey and Lucinda in house keeping everyone at the hotel was tops. i highly recommend that you take a trip to new york and stay at the Dorral Arrowwood in rye brooke, ny its a great place to be. relax, and enjoy. you will not be dissappointed,

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Been to Doral Arrowwood? Share your experiences!