“Very noisy and not clean.” 1 of 5 stars

You added The Roslyn Hotel to your Saves list
The Roslyn Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1221 Old Northern Blvd., Roslyn, NY 11576   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Roslyn
“Very noisy and not clean.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here many times and each time I swear it would be the last. It is very noisy on the street side and both sides of the first floor. Rooms next to the bar should be avoided at any cost unless you want to feel like you are sleeping in a noisy bar. Also, you can hear every word spoken next door - walls are so thin. Once i thought someone was in my room! Carpet is spotty, smelly, dusty sticky (!) and worn out. Bedding smells like they have not been changed for weeks. Pillows smell like men's hair products. Bed cover looks and smells like it was found in an estate sale and they did not bother to wash it before use. The only saving grace is that the room is very dark even with all the lights on so that you miss the filth if you checked in at night. But brace yourself for a surprise in the morning. The only reason I stay here is for the convenient location bit I usually do everything to avoid staying here. Only nice thing I can say about this place is that the front desk people are friendly for a Long Island standard though they are not really attentive.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

This hotel looks like it was once great but now is desperately in need of a makeover and deep clean.

First appearances are worrying with broken steps to the entrance and one part of the staircase taped off to stop you using it. The entrance hall is nice provided you don't look too hard and the check-in is quick and efficient.

The public areas are tired with worn-out dirty carpets and paintwork which has been touched up but shows much chipping, dents, peeling wallpaper and general tiredness. That's a real shame as the open spaces here could be very nice and the chandeliers are lovely. There is however a problem with the public areas smelling badly like cat pee when it rains heavily outside so perhaps there is a damp issue.

The room itself is ok but worn, with a hideously dirty carpet. It has been vacuumed, it's not that which is the problem, just years of ingrained dirt. The furnishings are similarly worn, but are functional. The bed is ok, but has blankets and bedspread not duvet, they are clean but very worn. The bathroom is similar - clean but broken and worn with a rusty ceiling and broken sink counter.

A severe lack of power outlets is a problem for the modern traveler with laptop, cellphone and more. The internet service is totally pointless as even when the hotel is nearly empty during the day it stops, starts and generally doesn't provide a usable connection.

Breakfast is somewhat less than ideal with stale bagels, rotten fruit and items which clearly get taken away each day and put out again the next day until they get used up. The breakfast service is also strange, the staff member who was present decided to clear items away as I and two other guests were still trying to serve ourselves from those same items. We were clearly being told we had overstayed our welcome!

Not all staff are unhelpful though. One person was very helpful and offered to assist with luggage which I was struggling with when I was leaving.

If this was a budget hotel I'd be very pleased with what is provided, but it markets itself as an upmarket hotel and prices itself accordingly; it is overpriced for the standards provided.

Even something as basic as a thorough steam cleaning of carpets and a deep clean of everywhere else and re-decoration would make a huge difference to this place. It has the potential to be really nice but needs some TLC to make it that way again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I reserved a block of rooms at the Roslyn Claremont Hotel for my wedding guests, and we also held an afterparty in one of the banquet rooms.

For the most part, everything was great. The hotel was convenient to our wedding venue in nearby Old Westbury, and we arranged a shuttle to transport guests. The hotel sent an information sheet for us to fill out with details about the shuttle and the wedding, so they could help confused guests. (However, the staff did direct some of my guests to the wrong shuttle anyway). The rooms were nice, though not especially modern, and there was a complimentary breakfast buffet in the morning. The afterparty went completely smoothly, even though my husband and I did not arrive until it was underway.

I will mention a few downsides though:

1. There was a banana peel sitting on a dresser in the Honeymoon Suite when we arrived. My bridesmaid was appalled, and brought it to the front desk and complained. However, we never received any kind of apology.

2. When booking the block of rooms, I had some trouble with the price. I wanted some rooms for Saturday night, and some rooms for Sunday night. They wanted to charge me a price for both nights that averaged the two nights. However, most guests were only staying Sunday night. I had to explain that it made no sense for guests on Sunday night to book through the block and pay a higher price than they would get on the website. Eventually they agreed and charged me the lower price, but they made it seem like a big deal because "prices will be going up closer to that day." The prices stayed the same, though, so there was no advantage to having the block of rooms.

3. We wanted to have some snacks at the afterparty, but they were charging something like $100 for chips and dip. So we passed on snacks.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I have a unique perspective of this hotel as I was a bell hop here in the late 80s when the hotel first opened. Although the hotel is located in a great spot in Roslyn, it has not changed at all in almost 30 years since it opened. The carpet is the same, and i think the bedding is the same, the place is tired overall. Worst of all are the HVAC systems, they are also very out of date and didn't provide any real cooling. My colleague who was travel with me had his AC die in the middle of the night. Sadly, the hotel boast a 2012 Trip Advisor plaque of excellence in the lobby. Not sure how Trip Advisor awards these but I assume it was paid for by the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We spent two nights here while visiting the Gold Coast of Long Island. The hotel was terrific! The staff was very helpful, the room was very clean and the library bar with the fireplace was comfortable and inviting. The breakfast, which was included with the room, was pretty good but mostly we appreciated not having to go out to find breakfast. The small town of Roslyn is charming and has a few very good restaurants. We'd definitely stay at this hotel again if we were in the area.

Room Tip: We had a room over the parking area which I believe was quieter than a room facing the street.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Maspeth, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed at the Roslyn Claremont Hotel this past Sunday into Monday. The room I stayed in desperately needed updating, having out dated curtains and bedding. The breakfast that was promised was just average, having very few choices for healthier eating (other than some fruit and cooked oatmeal, which was actually good!). My biggest complaint about the Roslyn Claremont was the lack of air conditioning. The room was stuffy and stiflingly warm! It was very difficult to sleep through the night due to the heat in my room. Unfortunately, the Roslyn Claremont Hotel was a big disappointment, especially for the price that we paid!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not facing the main street as it was quite noisy in my room!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Guttenberg, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

It was a pleasure staying at the Roslyn Claremont Hotel after our wedding. Katie Russo (group sales manager) was a pleasure to work with and offered great rates for our guests. The staff at the Claremont was great in making our guests comfortable and helpful in making sure our guests received their welcome bags. Everyone enjoyed their breakfast in the morning! The hotel itself is pretty and kept very clean.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Roslyn Hotel? Share your experiences!