“Not lean but mean! Terrible service at the bar!” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Edgewater, New Jersey
“Not lean but mean! Terrible service at the bar!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

I ate at Smokey Bones on a Thursday nite (at 11pm) after a long tiresome day at work and I would never go back to this place since the bartenders are synical and mean! They are not aware that bartending is about service and nothing else. The website is misleading, big hairy guys at the bar!!!

I asked for a pint of Blue Moon. No orange slice! I asked for it. The skinny smiley bartender went all the way to the other end and throw a slice to his buddy who dropped it. Smiley audibly said "pick it up, pick it up". Anybody who worked in food business knows what it means, "pick it up and give it out"... Thankfully the chubby did not. But instead he gave me a quarter of an orange size slice.

TIP to Bartenders: Bar oranges should be sliced horizantially like coctail lemon slices, not like potato wedges.

I was a hungry bear but I was still a gentleman as usual. My first order was a ribeye steak with coleslaw and broccoli. The chubby bartender did not ask how I like my steak. I had to remind him while he was punching my order in. Then my steak came without the coleslaw. They ran out of it!!! I changed it to french fries. I unrolled the silverware and viola, no steak knife. So I asked for it. The chubby gave me the steak knife. No excuses, no apoligies.

I said, " I will remind you the next thing, soon." "I know what I'm doing" he replied. Yet no steak sauce or ketchup followed. I was kind of intimidated. Scared of any retaliation, I waved hand to the smiley guy asking for sauce by sign language and got it. The two kept chatting with eachother and thwroing big laughs at the bar while totally ignoring me and couple of other customers.

Both bartenders and the whole crew started the clean up soon after!!! There is a red lited signs say "Open till 2AM" in and around the place.

I ordered wings afterwards and a Corona. Got the bottle right in front of me. Noone asked if I would want a glass, let alone frozen or not. Got the wings, had another Corona, left by my empty bottle at 12:15AM while the barback started spraying windex on the other end of the bar. Not more than 10 feet away!!! I smell bad!!! I asked the barback if they are closing early, he said "No" but he went on closing!!!

I asked same to the bartender, he said that they would sit and chat even if all customers go early, but the big boss was expected the next day so they were doing the big clean up in service hours!!! I am pretty sure BIG BOSS would not be happy about it, if he knew what is going on.

As yet, the chubby said, "Are you full?" with a smirk on his face as he was picking up my plate. This was offensive! I might have the appetite of a grizzly but I was still a gentleman even after the third beer.

Overall, the crew has no clue about service let alone bartenders would have any sense of tending a bar other than passing plates and bottles.

Won't go back to the bar unless they train all crew and change the bartenders.

• Visited June 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Setauket, New York
“Not good if you are in a rush”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

Service is slowwwwwwww, the food is average, and usually there is a wait on the weekends. The bar is usually crowded and it can get very loud in there too. If you are going to catch a movie at Island 16, give it at least an hour and half toget in and out. The American Apple Pie in a mug thing is sooo delicious.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Holtsville, New York
“nice family place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

this chain has very good food. reasonable prices,large selection, roomy and clean. right off the expressway

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Smithtown, New York
“Good Food and Good service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

This restaurant has a very nice ambience. It feels like you're in a log cabin having a nice casual meal with lot's of friends. Its a fun place and the food is delicious. You can have baby back ribs that melt off the bone, pulled pork, bbq chicken and a lot more. They have a full bar and many TV screens to watch all the local games. The crowd is fun. It's good for the whole family! The service is with a smile and the prices are just right!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York
“Good Bar B Que”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

Good value, fun atmosphere. A little hard to find off the LIE. Attentive staff.

Visited December 2011