“Mediocre at best...” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Glen Cove, New York
“Mediocre at best...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Only saving grace of this restaurant is their wait staff and tasty garlic bread! My parent's had recently moved to Leisure Knolls and their neighbor recommended this establishment so I took my family their for Father's Day. Upon approaching our table I noted that 2 of the 4 dining chairs, not only had rips in their "pleather" seating surface, but evidence of prior repairs. My first sign that Mr. Spiro is not the great owner his website claims. The eggplant rollatini appetizer was excessively greasy with gobs of cheese in a very bland tomato sauce. The baked clams were the equivalent of what you can buy in Stop & Shops frozen food department and the fried calamari was greasy, chewy and served with the same bland tomato sauce as the rollatini appetizer. After that embarassing round of appetizers and my complaint to the wait staff we thought the entrees might be redeeming. Unfortunately, not so. Although the kitchen was able to cook the stuffed lobster tail to an acceptable level, the crabmeat stuffing was lackluster (any crab in it had been excessively ground and the only experience on your palette was of mushy, fish flavored baby food). I had broccoli with my entree and my mother asparagus with hers. I love al dente vegetables, so when I tell you both of these were undercooked you need to believe me. In addition, neither had a single ounce of seasoning on them or displayed any effort in fine dining presentation. I left this restaurant hungry. Wait staff was excellent and took the inedible fried calamari off the bill, but to say this establishment's kitchen meets the standards of a white linen tablecloth restaurant would be a lie. Save your money and go to a place that has an owner who is buying quality product and employing skilled chefs, even if the meals are served on a wooden table and you are sitting on a bar stool.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Boynton Beach, Florida
“Great Lunch * Great Service * Great Price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Every lunch comes with soup or salad and coffe or tea. Tablecloth service. Friendly, efficient service. Good garlic bread. Large selection of lunches for either $10.00 or $12.50. I had a $12.50 lunch which consisted of a delicious greek salad and a plentyfull dish of steamed mussels and calamarie over linquini pasta. It was prepared to perfection. Fresh, sweet, tender mussels, and tender fresh calamari. $5.00 wine and reasonable price appetizers. You can't beat this place. They're closed on Mondays. Lunch special are Tues thru Fri to 3 pm. As long as you're in the door by 3, they'll honor it. Hope you enjoy!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lake Grove, New York, United States
“Good food good selection.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Had dinner there 2 weeks ago on a Saturday evening. Restaurant was very attractive, great menu and they also have a $25.00 prix fix 3 course dinner - even on Saturday. Food was excellent, on the prix fix I had a shrimp cocktail, 3 large shrimp which were very tasty, followed by a main course of a large breaded lobster tail in a francese sauce. Service was very good. Restaurant seems to attract families and older couples.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Riverhead, New York, United States
“Very nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

Went there on s Friday evening during lent was able to get a table no problem although parking lot was packed - well they share it with karate studio and classes were going on. Anyway the service was great the food was delicious ( captains platter - stuffed shrimp - stuffed flounder scallops) the stuffing mixture was melt in your mouth and ratio was perfect . The bleu cheese salad dressing had chunks of bleu in it which is lacking in someplaces .Will be back again to try their chowder heard it was great .

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Douglasville, Georgia
“Okay, but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We've gone to the Sea Basin quite a few times in the several years we have lived on LI, both at lunch and at dinner. And, while the food is okay, it doesn't quite live up to our expectations after reading the menu description . Their 'crab' stuffing is mostly stuffing with very little crab in it. At lunch they don't have cream for your coffee, just milk (huh?). And the fish dishes all seem to blend together to taste just the same. The last one I ordered was listed as being pan sauteed with a sauce over it. when it came it was as if they had sauteed it to a crisp coating, then steamed it so that it was now a soggy coating. Yuk. It was only then that I realized that I had done that before, with the same results. The menu tricked me again into thinking that I would get a crisp coated fish filet with a creamy sauce on it. Instead I got a mushy serving of bland fish. I simply did not eat it and settled for just the really good garlic bread with the salad. Interestingly, the wait staff did not question that I did not touch the entree after the first bite. That was the last time we ate there. Another thing that I thought was strange: they offer coffee or tea with the lunch, but this does not mean iced tea, only hot tea. They will charge you extra for iced tea? Seems to me that it would be easier to simply pour a glass of tea over ice and take it to the customer than to fill a cup with hot water, open a tea bag, get a spoon, and provide cream for it. But, maybe that's just me...I found that sort of ridiculous. Anyway, we have had some good food there on occasion, but overall, it is just mediocre and predictable.

Visited February 2012