“Not Impressed” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 31 Hotels in Rochester
Virginia
“Not Impressed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Most of my traveling peers swear by Marriott. Being a Hilton diamond member, I usually stay at Hilton properties but decided to give the Courtyard Marriott a try. Overall, I can say I was not impressed with this particular Courtyard. The main reason was breakfast. The majority of Hilton properties offer free continental breakfasts, or if they do charge for breakfast, it is at least a cook to order breakfast. This Courtyard charged $7.95 for their continental breakfast and $9.95 for the full breakfast, which is food kept in warmers. There is nobody making cook to order breakfast - major ripoff ! The room itself was okay. I had a malfunctioning toilet seat that would not stay up (so you can image the difficulty going to the bathroom....and yes, I am a guy ! Lol....). Also, the four little spiders I killed crawling across my desk did help me like this Courtyard much either. The sink outside of the bathroom was a nice touch. As for the location, this particular property is not visible and kind of hard to locate. There are several eating options nearby, some within walking distance. On my next trip to Rochester, I think I'll go back to staying at a Hilton property.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Saratoga Springs, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

The staff was friendly, courteous, and seemed genuinely interested. They were helpful in recommending a nearby restaurant where I could go and set to get some work done.
The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and the location was convenient. I only wish I had more time to stay there.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Southwest Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

I stayed two nights here recently. The hotel is about a 15 minute drive from the airport and it is a pretty straight run. There is no free airport shuttle service for this hotel.

Check-in was quick and easy and the front desk staff was very friendly and made me feel very welcome.

My room was a typical Courtyard room, so it was a good size. The room and bathroom were clean and comfortable. This Courtyard has not been updated to the new lobby with the touch screen information option, but that didn't matter in the least.

I did not use the workout room nor eat at the breakfast buffet.

The location is ideal. You are literally a five minute walk from either Olive Garden, Applebee's or a local sports bar called the Distillery. I'd stay away from the Distillery. The food was the usual bar food and it wasn't very good.

You are also a five minute drive from other local restaurants and a shopping mall.

If you are staying in the area and need a place to stay, I would highly recommend this Courtyard.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Cary, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

We were in Rochester for a funeral for a family member.. A few other family members also stayed here.

Our room was spacious with a very comfortable king size bed as well as sofa bed and work desk. The bathroom was small but loved the extra sink and pass-through/counter outside the bathroom. Even had a small refrigerator which we didn't think we'd have. Everything was very clean.

The lobby area had a nice, comfortable sitting area with large flat-screen tv and fireplace. We were able to hang out here with other family members, so it felt like our living room!

The hotel staff was super nice and helpful. They offered us the use of the conference room for a family get together after the service. The little things they did for us (bring us a pitcher of water, told us to leave the trash and they would get it) help make for a pleasant experience of an otherwise sad occasion.

We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
ROCMarriott, Owner at Courtyard by Marriott Rochester West / Greece, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
We greatly appreciate your TripAdvisor response and are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay! Whether positive or negative, your feedback is very important to us. We hope to see you again in the future!

Thank you.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

I travel for business as a Sales VP and work all across Upstate NY. I stayed at this hotel because our Customer was staying here and it made it easy for all. The front desk staff is very friendly and helpful. It is a really nice and clean hotel. The wireless internet was very fast! It costs a little more per night than other options in the area and breakfast is not inlcuded, however, I would stay here again because of the overall high quality attention to detail and the friendly staff.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Rochester, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

Room was very quiet. Even though there were hockey teams in the hotel during our stay, we all slept like babies. Our TV was not a flat panel & that was surprising but no deal-breaker. Pool and spa were great but pool was kinda small for what we expected. Overall though, the kids were in heaven & my wife & I were too.
Breakfast was not complimentary, but excellent. I thought the staff was superb especially the breakfast attendant...think her name was Avie??? Great time. Giving 5 stars despite the small indoor pool and outdated TV. Will be coming back!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

I always look at the value for what you pay. This hotel has good value. My room was clean all around. It is located near the airport and I did not hear jet noise. Friendly staff. Bathrooms were clean and big enough. The TV was a nice updated flat screen with plenty of channels.
There were plenty of plugs for me to plug in my two phones and my iPad to recharge.
The mini fridge was nice to have, all though I'm not sure if all the rooms have them.
The beds where very comfy along with nice sheets, duvet and pillows. I like cotton based pillows since I am allergic to down. and I just hate down pillows, so these were great since they were fluffy cotton. Location: 5-10 mins from airport, 15-20 from downtown.
I had no bad experience at all or any negative comment about this hotel - and I'm pretty critical!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Rochester West / Greece? Share your experiences!