“Terrible” 1 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in Rochester
“Terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

$150/ night and no complementary breakfast? Their in-hotel bar has three stools and about 10 bottles of liquor at a bar the size of a news stand with no bar tender, shoved in the corner of the lobby. When I asked about the restaraunt, they told me there were some nice ones within walking distance (it was 5 degrees and snowing outside), but nothing available in the hotel (it was 6pm). Upon walking into the room, the entire front casing of the heating/ cooling system was on the floor with wires exposed. They did send someone down immediately to fix the problem, but not a maintenance person, and he didn't know how it properly went together. House keeping knocked regardless of my do not disturb sign on my door (an hour before checkout time). Their "sleeper" in the king bed rooms is an armchair, NOT a pullout. I truly don't understand why this hotel got such fantastic reviews because it was one of the worst stays I've ever had at a ridiculous price for what was available. Never again!

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
San Francisco Bay Area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I have been traveling to Rochester on some frequency for the past 23 years. I have stayed at this Courtyard nearly every time. it's near where my work is, I know the area well, it's easy in and out on I-390...quick dash from/to the airport. And there are a few restaurant choices within walking distance. And tons of other choices within a very short drive...in multiple directions.

The hotel itself is a typical updated Courtyard. Rooms are in good shape, bedding is great, and most of the time their WIFI works ok. I have had issues in prior visits, but not this time. Rooms are always clean...never had an issue. AC unit can be noisy...but these type of hotels always have a outdoor wall mounted heater / cooling unit.....which comes on/off thru the night.

One of their distinguishing factors....is the employees who work the front desk. They are always genuinely friendly and happy to help you out. I have seen the same people working there for many years...and they always have a smile.

They also do a nice job with their 'bistro' setup. I have only used it for a quick breakfast....and they do a decent job. Their oatmeal starter...is great.

Now..for the outstanding experience on this visit. I walked out to my car around 6:45am in the morning. It must have been about 15F, and their had been some snow over night. As I was getting in the car to start it to warm up.....I said hello to another fellow who was brushing the snow off the car next to mine. He was pleasant and we shared morning greetings. Next thing ya know...before I could get back out of the car to brush it off....he was brushing off my car for me. Huh?? When was the last time someone did that for you??? Well turns out....he was a hotel employee....and he was brushing off all the cars. Huh? Seriously?

Thank you.....Very nice touch!!!

Room Tip: I prefer staying on the 2nd floor of either wing. The ground floor rooms have sliding glass doors t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Very typical of a remodeled Courtyard. Lobby remodeled nicely, fireplace, plenty of room and the bistro was typical of a new one. Nothing too special but it was very consistent with others in similar state. Good stay - and the staff in the lobby as well as bistro were professional and courteous. No complaints. WSJ wasn't delivered but plenty of copies in lobby.

Now for Rochester itself, that is a different story.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Oswego, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed at the Courtyard during the New Year's holiday and enjoyed our two days there . That meant we had the pool and hot tub to ourselves as it was very quiet. We received a free upgrade so had a separate bedroom and a living room. The hosts/hostesses (Adriel, Matt, and Susan) were very nice and helpful. On New Year's Eve, Susan set up a large screen TV and popcorn so we could see the ball drop in NYC. The hotel is near a number of eating establishments and shopping areas. One great dessert shop (Phillips European Restaurant) is just next to the hotel grounds. Loved the pool and hot tub. Also enjoyed the soft king-size bed and the TV's in the rooms. Had an enjoyable time at this hotel and will definitely be back again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
West Hempstead, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here on a recent visit to RIT. Room was clean, beds weren't too comfy. However, the staff were fabulous. As soon as we landed at the airport, we called for a shuttle and were picked up by a courteous staff member and took the five minute drive back to the hotel. Seeing as though it's difficult to travel with a teenage daughter and not hit a mall, we asked the desk staff how much a taxi was to the nearest mall. Since there were enough staff on hand once we arrived, they offered to drive us the three miles there, saving us cab fare. (They even brought us back!)

Free Internet and within walking distance of a few decent eateries. Good value for the $.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Holland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

This is an excellent hotel with a great lounge area where you can purchase drinks and food. Although the food is limited, it's a great place to have an afternoon snack, a light dinner or a quick breakfast. The rooms are very nice and the beds comfortable. The bathroom counter is not as large as my wife would have liked but at least there was a space for her makeup kit. We've been there on several occasions while traveling and will for sure go again.

Room Tip: We've always had a good room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Stow, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

This was actually our 3rd visit as we were attending a local eventfor the 3rd year in a row. The hotel is typical for the chain.... clean with a friendly staff and in close approximation to the Gennessee Valley Park. Our problem on this visit was the bed, king-size, but terrible for comfort. It had a big dip in center & neither my husband or myself slept well. May have consider some place else next year. The lobby is spacious and nice to meet and greet with large groups or to just hang out.

Room Tip: top floor is quiet
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Courtyard Rochester Brighton? Share your experiences!