“Mostly very good, but one big glitch...” 4 of 5 stars

The East Avenue Inn & Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   384 East Avenue, Rochester, NY 14607   |
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Rochester
Western PA
“Mostly very good, but one big glitch...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Was in town to see a show at the Auditorium Theater, and this was the closest place I found. The outside doesn't do much for me, but really liked the interior and the set-up of the rooms. Very well done. When I checked into the room, it was very cold (no surprise, many are like that). Turned on the heat when I left for the show. When I returned (very late) I found that the heater was not working at all, and it was freezing cold. I was also just about over a cold. I walked to the front desk and was told that there were a few rooms having issues. At around 2am there weren't a lot of options. I put MORE clothes on and went to bed. Upon checkout, I didn't know what to expect, and my cold had gotten much worse overnight. The manager apologized and made things right (and in this day and age, you never know what to expect). As a result, I would definitely stay here again....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
eastaveinn, Manager at The East Avenue Inn & Suites, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the East Avenue Inn & Suites. We're glad you enjoyed your stay here. We'd also like to let you know that the issue with the room heater has been resolved. Thank you for your patience.

Additionally, its also nice to hear when one of our guests attends an event at the Auditorium Theatre. The East End neighborhood is home to most of Rochester's arts and entertainment venues and we are always happy to accommodate traveler's who are in town to enjoy some of the best cultural events that Western New York has to offer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Rochester, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I have stated at this hotel many, many of times and it has always been easy to get reservations and its always been clean since their renovations and the staff have been helpful. I would defiantly recommend it to anyone. They have done a fantastic job remodeling.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to review the East Avenue Inn & Suites. We're glad you enjoyed your stay here. It's nice to hear that you find our reservations staff helpful. While we are a small local company, we always try to provide a level of service that exceeds that of the large franchises. We hope to see you again soon.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

There was still a noisey in the halls and rooms late at night--but this is in the middle of the bar scene neighborhood so it is expected.
All in all great staff and location, nice room, limited continental breakfast, but handy

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
eastaveinn, Manager at The East Avenue Inn & Suites, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review The East Avenue Inn & Suites. We're glad you enjoyed your stay here. It's always nice to hear from a business traveler who appreciates the added value that comes with staying in Rochester's East End. We hope to see you again next time your business brings you this way.

Thank you again.
toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We stayed here overnight yesterday.

The Good: The property is being completely gut-renovated, so new everything. The colour scheme, furnishing and fixtures are modern. Loved the bathroom style - vintage floor tiles were nice. Good location with lots of free parking. Lots of bars and restaurants very close- I felt safe walking back alone at night - no safety issues at all. Nice and quiet - despite the busy-ness of the immediate area we were able to sleep soundly. Beds were very comfortable. Towels were big and fluffy (but were not dried property - they felt damp). Lobby and tv lounge area is very attractive. Staff was efficient and friendly.

The Bad: Not a lot for your money right now. The property is newly opened and construction/renovations are ongoing - gym is partially done, no breakfast room, no business centre, no bar, minimal breakfast. I know they have to get some bodies in the door and being a new hotel and an independent that is their challenge. But my almost-$150 bill for one night was too high. Presently this place is not worth any more than about $90 per night. For $20 more (plus parking), I could have stayed at the newly-renovated Hyatt, with complete and extensive amenities. I should have done that. You have to walk through a nasty old hallway that is still in its old Day's Inn 1980's decor to get to your room (however the room we were in did have a renovated hallway - it was very nice). No outside appeal, its hard to tell this is an open and functioning hotel. New signage and landscaping (a couple of urns with plants out the front, etc.) should have been a priority. The bathroom was very small - very limited counterspace and getting dried and dressed with the door closed was tight. The work area/desk is way too small to be of any use. Cleanliness of room was not the best - carpet needed a more thorough vacuuming, one towel had some sort of icky stuff on it, as did the shelving it was on.

Overall, I would stay here again but only if the rate was well below $100. Better yet, give them 6 more months or so to get things up and running properly. This has the potential to be a nice quirky-type of hotel with a lot of character.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review The East Avenue Inn & Suites. We're glad you enjoyed your stay here. We'd like to let you know that over the next 6 - 12 months we will be completing some of the final elements of our renovation. This includes two brand new state-of-the-art conference spaces, an all new fitness center, and a fully re-imagined landscaping design. Additionally, an upscale restaurant is expected to be opening in building adjoining the hotel sometime in 2013.

I appreciate your comments about the hotel's rates. We do hope to price our rooms competitively with value-oriented customers in mind. With that said, however, we hope that customers will see the added value that comes with staying in the East End versus downtown Rochester. Right outside our door are numerous restaurants, theaters, and museums. At the East Avenue Inn & Suites you can enjoy the weekend without ever having to get back in your car.
Odessa, Ukraine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I was not expecting much from my stay at The East Avenue Inn and Suites. The way it looked on the outside was not much of encouragement either. But as I have entered my room I have realised immediately that it was my luck to choose this place. Apparently, they have renovated parts of this hotel and the rooms look just great. Very clean, spacious, nice view from the window. Even stylish, I would say, which is strange, of course, for an accommodation of this type.

This hotel is right in the area of East Avenue, which has some great pubs around. It is within short walk to downtown Rochester. There are quite a few museums around, of which the Eastman House was my favorite.

Room Tip: Just ask for a renovated room. When I was there it was not full.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to review The East Avenue Inn & Suites.
We're glad you enjoyed your stay here. It's always nice to hear that our guests are enjoying some of Rochester's world-class museums like the George Eastman House and the Strong Museum of Play. We hope we see you again on your next visit to Rochester.

Thank you.
Concord, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I have only wonderful things to say about my four-day stay to see a nearby theater production! They've done a fabulous job with their renovations, and it totally blows away high-priced alternatives (hope their rates don't skyrocket once the word spreads!). Quite a delightful suprise!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
eastaveinn, Manager at The East Avenue Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Judith, Thank you for taking the time review The East Avenue Inn & Suites. We're glad you enjoyed your stay here and its nice to hear that you took advantage of Rochester's exciting arts and theater scene. We do not anticipate any drastic rate changes here. We try to price our rooms appropriately with value-oriented repeat customers in mind.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Updates include a large flat screen TV, free wifi, marble bath and coffee table, comfortable beds, leather headboards and personal safes. Location was ideal for our visits to the Eastman School of Music and University of Rochester, river campus. And when my son left his shaving kit, including his retainer, in the bathroom, the manager got it from the housekeeper and mailed it back to us at no charge. Awesome service and comfortable rooms. I'd definitely stay again.

Steve - Boston

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Steve, Thank you for taking the time to review The East Avenue Inn & Suites. It's always nice to have guests that are visiting the Eastman School of Music stay here. We hope to see you again next time you are in Rochester.

Been to The East Avenue Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!