“Well cared For” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Syracuse, New York
“Well cared For”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Its not always what goes perfectly that is telling about a stay, although this hotel had plenty of nice amenities going for it, it's when there is a problem. There was a small post-stay snafu that was taken care of immediately when it was brought to their attention. I even received an immediate post-fix phone call assuring me that the problem had been corrected. And a shout-out to Ashantee at the front desk who went above and beyond to ensure that a couple of old ladies had the most comfortable stay possible. Whom ever came up with idea of having a female friendly floor for those of us who would like to feel even more comfortable while traveling alone should get a bonus. Thank you, I'll be staying at Hyatt again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Sang H, Manager at Hyatt Regency Rochester, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Thank you very much for your 5 star review on TripAdvisor about our Rochester Downtown location. It seems that you enjoyed your stay and especially Ashantee's help. We are glad that we were able to assist with your needs. Please come join us again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

Great location and staff, right downtown with super easy (and inexpensive ) garage parking. The room, however was a little tired and worn, not exactly the top of Hyatt standards I'd say. That said, the linens were crisp & clean, the pool great, even the gym - would stay again.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you very much for our review out TripAdvisor. It is with guest feedback that we can improve our hotel and overall guest satisfaction. We appreciate your comments about our great staff and hope that we will be seeing you again soon.
Burlington, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed at the Hyatt Rochester on the weekend for one night due to a dance competition the next morning. The room was nice and modern, employees very friendly and parking valet was helpful. Restaurant food was good although the servers weren't overly professional. I would not suggest walking to a restaurant at night as we felt unsafe...went back into the hotel to eat instead. The trolley elevator is very slow as it only fits one cart at a time and we ended up using ourselves as nobody was available to help. Valet had car ready when we asked so that helped us get out quickly...rushing to dance! Overall nice hotel and the rate was good.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback to improve our guest satisfaction. It seems like your enjoyed our staff and that is a great compliment. As for our nearby areas; Main Street may look uninviting right now, change is in the air. We are excited about many new developments in the downtown area such as those at the former Midtown site including the nearly completed Windstream Corporation Building; the Midtown Tower revitalization into mixed use retail, offices and housing; the new roads and park (scheduled for late summer completion) going in at the Midtown site; the plans the Winn Corporation has for the former Sibley Building on Main Street (this company revitalized Faneuil Hall in Boston). Also, we have a new Transit Center going up just around the corner from Main Street; and many housing units being built in historic buildings in the downtown neighborhood.
Ellington, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I have stayed at the Hyatt in Rochester many times in the past year. It is very convenient since my daughter attends the Eastman School of music just a few blocks down the street. The hotel is a warm, welcoming place to stay. The staff is always helpful and willing to go out of their way to make my stay enjoyable. While the hotel is old, it is well kept up. The beds are very comfortable and the rooms are clean. I also use the fitness room and pool. When my daughter was auditioning at the school, there were practice rooms available for the students in the basement level so they could prepare for their auditions. When I am here on my own, I stay on one of the female-friendly floors which have the addition of a staff member who checks the floor periodically to make sure everything is safe. It's not that I feel unsafe in the hotel otherwise, but it is a nice touch in a city that is not exactly known for its low crime statistics. Also, the breakfast buffet that comes with certain room packages is very good and fast and easy.

Room Tip: There are quiet floors and female friendly floors that can be requested.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Kurt H, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Rochester, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you so much for your 5 star review on Tripadvisor. We are really glad you liked our Downtown Rochester Hyatt. We are very close to the Eastman School and work very closely with them to offer special rates throughout the year. Thank you again for the great comments and we hope to see you again soon.
Toronto, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

My wife and I have stayed at Hyatt's around the world. While all have have both stellar service and room decor, Hyatt Rochester only had one of these...

The lobby and other common areas of this Hyatt were clean, modern and updated. The service was friendly, and efficient. We got to our room and it was a terrible surprise. Dated and worn furniture like the nightstand and lamps are usually not a big deal, considering I booked on a discounted website. I'll be honest and say that the rate was half price.

The biggest deal was that the room was on the conference room floor and was the accessible room. (My guess, really the "Priceline or hotels.com" room). It was not a 'typical' Hyatt room.

We were really disappointed in the state of the room, as hotels for the same discounted price have better overall cleanliness and state of rooms.

We valet parked on the way in since we were exhausted, It's an easy $13 for the hotel. The drive in lot is connected to the convention center so I guess it could be very easy to park on your own for way less.

Internet cost $10 (Ripoff) and the location was not the greatest in terms of getting out and walking around we're other negatives.

On the positive, my wife was extremely happy with the free coffee in the lobby. She stated it was one of the best coffees she has had in a long time.

Also, Sam, the valet, was super friendly, genuinely warm and one of those people who seem to love what they do!!!
Thanks Sam for making us feel special.

Definitely, this Hyatt was not on par with any other we have ever stayed at.

Won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room on the 4th floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor. It is important feedback as these to improve our guest experience. We apologize for the state of the room, however we appreciate that you enjoyed our staff along with Sam, our valet manager. Although our Main Street may look uninviting right now, change is in the air. We are excited about many new developments in the downtown area such as those at the former Midtown site including the nearly completed Windstream Corporation Building; the Midtown Tower revitalization into mixed use retail, offices and housing; the new roads and park (scheduled for late summer completion) going in at the Midtown site; the plans the Winn Corporation has for the former Sibley Building on Main Street (this company revitalized Faneuil Hall in Boston). Also, we have a new Transit Center going up just around the corner from Main Street; and many housing units being built in historic buildings in the downtown neighborhood. Again, we thank you for taking the time to give us feedback and hope you will reconsider visiting our hotel again.
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

This is the first Hyatt I have ever stayed at, and we booked our hotel through a deal a day website, so we got an amazing room rate. I am fairly realistic about my hotel stays, but I also have not had a great deal of experience with hotels either. My biggest concerns about hotels are related to cost, cleanliness and comfort, so please take that into consideration when reading my review. I stayed at the Hyatt with my husband and 2 young children. We booked a King room and ordered a roll away for my 4 year old to sleep on, we brought a playard for my 1.5 yr old. Conveniently there was a large, unused area where the door to the room was that we put the playard in, this was great. There was ample space in the room to have the roll away and not feel cramped and the bed was actually quite comfortable, although I don't feel like the bed was a full sized King. The bathroom was very clean and accessible. The room we stayed in was well appointed, I am not sure if it was newly renovated, although I am not overly concerned with style in my hotel rooms, it seemed up to date in furnishings. The real reason I have rated the hotel with such a high value is more the staff we dealt with while we stayed, specifically one of the restaurant managers and waitress, who went out of their way to assist our family as I was in a wheelchair during our visit. They also provided us with passes to the local children's museum, which were a welcome surprise. There was an error with our billing, which was taken care of quickly and with no fuss and they also provided both children with goody bags for the car ride home after we settled the billing. We ordered room service for dinner one night and ate breakfast both days in the restaurant. I did not find the food overpriced for hotel fare, and the Hyatt is focused on organic, healthy fare, so the food was quite good. I would definitely recommend the Hyatt to friends travelling to the Rochester area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. We take pride in our hotel and we are glad you got to see that in the room cleanliness and throughout the hotel. Thank you also for the staff compliments as our people are what separate us and we value all of our associates. We hope to see you again soon.
South Salem, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Downtown Rochester is pretty depressing. When I asked what clothing store was within walking distance, the clerk recommended the Volunteers of America thrift shop. The hotel charges $10 a day for internet but removed the charge when asked.. Also breakfast is quite expensive, especially considering that there are no other eating places within walking distance. My husband negotiated free breakfast. He got stuck in the elevator for 20 minutes and no compensation was offered.

The pool and exercise room were quite pleasant, but there are no lockers, showers, one bathroom for both men and women.

I am not a particularly allergic person so when I sneezed non stop in bed, I thought I was getting sick. I was cured as soon as I checked out. When I asked for a light blanket, they gave me a bedspread in red satin - not what I had in mind.

Overall, if I have to be there on business, it will do. I'd ask for a hypoallergenic room. Not where I'd go for pleasure.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed the pool and fitness center while you were with us. We do apologize for the mechanical failure with our elevators as I know how stressful this must have been. We appreciate your understanding and we are glad you got to enjoy breakfast. Although our Main Street may look uninviting right now, change is in the air. We are excited about many new developments in the downtown area such as those at the former Midtown site including the nearly completed Windstream Corporation Building; the Midtown Tower revitalization into mixed use retail, offices and housing; the new roads and park (scheduled for late summer completion) going in at the Midtown site; the plans the Winn Corporation has for the former Sibley Building on Main Street (this company revitalized Faneuil Hall in Boston). Also, we have a new Transit Center going up just around the corner from Main Street; and many housing units being built in historic buildings in the downtown neighbor hood.

Been to Hyatt Regency Rochester? Share your experiences!