“Beware of Maintenance Issues, including door locks>>>THEFT” 1 of 5 stars

Rochester Plaza Hotel and Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   70 State Street, Rochester, NY 14614   |
Ranked #27 of 31 Hotels in Rochester
Midwest
“Beware of Maintenance Issues, including door locks>>>THEFT”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

I stayed there on July 11, 2009. There were two weddings in house, but no one ahead of or behind me in line as I checked in. I was given a room with a king bed despite my request for two beds. I requested a rollaway and was told they'd call the room to let me know if one was available. As I had checked in at 6:30pm, I went to dinner rather than wait for notification of rollaway availability. After walking around downtown Rochester in search of a restaurant (and rejecting a very busy bbq and an expensive alternative) we returned to the Plaza's restaurant and had a terrible dinner--my steak salad consisted of iceburg lettuce, one underripe roma tomato, pepperoncini rings, pimiento strips, canned and marinated mushrooms and vinegar-soaked steak. My son's pasta was drenched in a cheese sauce that had an strongly acidic and nauseating overtone.

Upon returning to our room (now that 1 1/2 hours had passed), we discovered my son's brand new camera and my fancy, nearly two-year-old laptop were gone! Stolen from our supposedly locked room. We discovered (too late!) that although they slam dramatically, the doors at the Plaza do not necessarily lock. Ours apparently didn't when we left as the hotel's electronically generated report of card keys used (if it is to be believed) says no one entered using a card key. I discovered when I left my room to ask my neighbor if they'd heard anyone enter that I could enter the room without my key simply by pushing the door open.

The police, the hotel's own security, and everyone else who's expressed an opinion believes it was an inside job. The hotel's General Manager, however, says the hotel cannot be held responsible for items left in rooms and he has no way of knowing what belongings I arrived with; further, he states no knowledge of the faulty door lock--saying it works as it should (I have video that says otherwise and a police officer who witnessed it's malfunction).

When a hotel looks as if it's had no maintenance in decades and the carpets have big wriinkles, the hotel probably takes similar care of its guests. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to an enemy, nevermind a friend!

• Stayed July 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

Carla the waitress/server from the July 10th oreilly/harrison wedding was fantastic. Anytime we asked for a drink she was there to accomodate us. She was very nice and polite.

The air conditioning in 526 did not work. Also, it would have been nice if the windows opened more than a few inches.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2009

This hotel was a pleasant environment and offered everything needed for a restful stay while working a 5 day business trip

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Rochester, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2009

With the exception of the review prior to this post, I don't think I've ever seen more obvious shill reviews.

Detroit
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

The Rochester Plaza in Rochester, NY is in desperate need of renovations. We were booked for a non-smoking king room. When we arrived and checked in upon entrance into the room we immediately noticed a strong cigarette smell.This had be noticed by house keeping who should have notified the front desk to avoid an inconvience of arriving guest. We returned to the front desk and was moved to a second room. The furniture needs updating and the carpet throughout the hotel needs at least a major cleaning. I would not recommend the Rochester Plaza to anyone at this current time. It is hoped that the management would strongly consider these comments for future guests.

penfield, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

Great food and fun! Service even better!!! Our waitress was Laquanda and she took very good care of us serving our dinner! Thank you for adding to a very enjoyable evening!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Rochester NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2009

We hold many educational events at this hotel and I always check their availability before contacting other facilities.
In particular, 2 people I deal with are always top notch - Laura Teyssier and Bunny Vahue. They ask us what we need before we may realize it.
The great customer service gives a great comfort level in knowing that our events will go according to plan and if any last minute needs come up, that they're able and willing to assist.
Thanks

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Been to Rochester Plaza Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Rochester Plaza Hotel and Conference Center

Address: 70 State Street, Rochester, NY 14614
Location: United States > New York > Finger Lakes > Rochester
Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
Ranked #27 of 31 Hotels in Rochester
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Rochester Plaza Hotel and Conference Center 3.5*
The Rochester Plaza Hotel is a deluxe full service hotel in the heart of downtown with comfortable accommodations, excellent service & attractive prices. Whatever the occasion, make the Rochester Plaza your destination! ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Booking.com and Tingo so you can book your Rochester Plaza Hotel and Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.

If you own or manage Rochester Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.