“Clean hotel but worn rooms.” 3 of 5 stars

Rochester Plaza Hotel and Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   70 State Street, Rochester, NY 14614   |
Ranked #27 of 30 Hotels in Rochester
Rochester, New York
“Clean hotel but worn rooms.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We recently stayed at the Rochester Plaza for a wedding. It was a clean hotel with a nice staff. I thought all of the rooms had been renovated in the last 18 months but I think they missed our room. It was clean just looked outdated and definitely worn. The lobby and ballrooms were fine. They certainly need to invest in some of the smaller meeting and conference rooms. The landscaping in front and around the building could also use some more attention or better yet a facelift.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Philadelphia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

This hotel isn't too bad. My room was clean and modern, except the bathroom seemed to need an update. The front desk that greeted me when I arrived was very nice, but when I returned at night, there was man there that just wasn't nice. He didn't want to answer any of questions and just didn't seem happy to be there. He seemed annoyed with everything. I had to take away two stars for that. A good attitude makes a big difference

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Utica, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

This hotel is quite dated and furnishings look like they have seen better days! I think the Hotel has gotten their moneys worth, time to replace the carpet, drapes and update the bathrooms. Cleanliness was OK, not spotless. Beds were better than expected. I was warned not to accept a room above the Ballroom on Sat. nights as they have weddings and the music is loud! I was on the 5th floor and still could hear the loud party despite the AC running. The staff was helpful. Warning. The parking lot fills up quickly during the week and if you come in late you are expected to find a pay lot and you are not reimbursed! The location to the Arena is good but also keep in mind that Downtown Rochester caters to business people and many coffee shops & other places close by 6pm. Wi-Fi did not work in any of the rooms, you have to sit in the lobby and then is is hit and miss.....

Room Tip: Avoid the 3rd floor which is above the noisy banquet rooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Ipswich
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Room was basic but clean. The beds were comfortable and the wifi was fast. Had some nice waffles for breakfast the next morning at the hotel restaurant. We really had no complaints. Overall it was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed August 2014
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I ordered a room with 2 queens. When I checked in the staff gave me a king - This is not enough room for 4 adults. I insisted the front desk (manager! I later learned) named Robin give me a room with 2 queens or just cancel the reservation. She said she had no room (the hotel was empty you could hear a pin drop) and that the last time for me to cancel was 4:00 - It was 4:15 and on my confirmation it said I had until 6pm. She forced me to call my travel agent who then called the hotel. My travel agent said Robin had been looking for me and found me a room and that the hotel staff were cleaning it. While Robin was on the phone speaking to the agent, I was about 10 feet away standing in front of her. So rude! Such a waste of time!

When I got to the room, it was dusty didn't look like it was clean and had an odor. I didn't complain because I knew the level of service I would get

All around the hotel are signs about car break ins and theft and the hotel was not responsible

I woke up at 130 AM to the sound of gun shots outside the hotel

I will NEVER stay here again!

Great job Convention Center hotel!

Room Tip: Just go to the holiday inn on the highway!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Charlotte, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We were in town for a wedding and this was one of the hotels selected by the bridal party. I wish I had stayed at the other hotel.

Parking was a disaster. After the first day we never had space in the lot again. We arrived back at the hotel Thursday night to discover that the lot was full and we had to park in a garage that was at least two blocks away. Keep in mind that we were being charged $4/day to park at the hotel. And guess what? It cost $10 to exit the parking garage the next day -- and the hotel refused to reimburse us. After we complained, they provided several pre-paid passes so that we the people in our group could exit the garage, but at least two people in our group who used these passes were also charged. They refused to provide any additional passes for the remainder of our time there.

The lobby area was worn and dirty. Furniture didn't match and was old. There were heavy layers of dust on the tables and the carpet looked like it hadn't been vacuumed in years.

Our room wasn't much better. The carpet was filthy. The beds were ridiculously uncomfortable with pillows that were so hard and stuffed we ended up sleeping without them. The bathroom was disgusting. Wallpaper was peeling off the walls and there was mold in the wall above the shower. The faucet on our sink stuck up so far (it looked like it had been replaced, but that they used whatever was lying around instead of what actually should have been there) that it poked you in the forehead when you washed your face. There was hardly any counter space because they had our towels piled on the sink because there were no shelves or towel bars for the towels.

The luggage cart was disgusting as well. How about a little brass cleaner? Or even Windex for heavens sake -- just wipe the thing down!

The staff was very unfriendly and seemed very disorganized.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

We picked this hotel because it is right in town, plus for the last 14 years, it hosts a nightly jazz jam session during the entire Rochester Xerox International Jazz Festival, from 10pm to 2-3am in the bar.

The location was ideal for walking to the jazz festival site, to restaurants, to the river, to the Genesee brewery.

We stayed 4D/4N. The hotel rooms were built in one big rectangular block on several floors, and the elevators were located on only one side. Our room was on the other side, so we had a long walk to the elevators.

The rooms however were quite large, with king size bed, adequate wardrobe, flat panel TV, coffee percolator, iron and iron board, safe, large bathroom, good toiletries.

We brought our own disposable bedroom slippers.

Buffet breakfast in the River Cafe on the second floor was only about $10, which was good value.

There is also a guest laundry and dryer, ice machine, soft drink vendor machine, all on the third floor in a room next to the elevator landing.

Reception was helpful and friendly. The F & B and housekeeping staff were extremely helpful and friendly.

Complimentary bus shuttle to and from the airport, which is only about 15 mins away. We had arrived after lunch, gave the hotel a call and a shuttle bus was immediately despatched to fetch us.

Room Tip: Pick a room either on the north or south side if you do not wish sun shining into your room. Rooms...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Rochester Plaza Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!