“Good Value” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 30 hotels in Rochester
Ipswich
“Good Value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Room was basic but clean. The beds were comfortable and the wifi was fast. Had some nice waffles for breakfast the next morning at the hotel restaurant. We really had no complaints. Overall it was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed August 2014

279 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I ordered a room with 2 queens. When I checked in the staff gave me a king - This is not enough room for 4 adults. I insisted the front desk (manager! I later learned) named Robin give me a room with 2 queens or just cancel the reservation. She said she had no room (the hotel was empty you could hear a pin drop) and that the last time for me to cancel was 4:00 - It was 4:15 and on my confirmation it said I had until 6pm. She forced me to call my travel agent who then called the hotel. My travel agent said Robin had been looking for me and found me a room and that the hotel staff were cleaning it. While Robin was on the phone speaking to the agent, I was about 10 feet away standing in front of her. So rude! Such a waste of time!

When I got to the room, it was dusty didn't look like it was clean and had an odor. I didn't complain because I knew the level of service I would get

All around the hotel are signs about car break ins and theft and the hotel was not responsible

I woke up at 130 AM to the sound of gun shots outside the hotel

I will NEVER stay here again!

Great job Convention Center hotel!

Room Tip: Just go to the holiday inn on the highway!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Charlotte, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We were in town for a wedding and this was one of the hotels selected by the bridal party. I wish I had stayed at the other hotel.

Parking was a disaster. After the first day we never had space in the lot again. We arrived back at the hotel Thursday night to discover that the lot was full and we had to park in a garage that was at least two blocks away. Keep in mind that we were being charged $4/day to park at the hotel. And guess what? It cost $10 to exit the parking garage the next day -- and the hotel refused to reimburse us. After we complained, they provided several pre-paid passes so that we the people in our group could exit the garage, but at least two people in our group who used these passes were also charged. They refused to provide any additional passes for the remainder of our time there.

The lobby area was worn and dirty. Furniture didn't match and was old. There were heavy layers of dust on the tables and the carpet looked like it hadn't been vacuumed in years.

Our room wasn't much better. The carpet was filthy. The beds were ridiculously uncomfortable with pillows that were so hard and stuffed we ended up sleeping without them. The bathroom was disgusting. Wallpaper was peeling off the walls and there was mold in the wall above the shower. The faucet on our sink stuck up so far (it looked like it had been replaced, but that they used whatever was lying around instead of what actually should have been there) that it poked you in the forehead when you washed your face. There was hardly any counter space because they had our towels piled on the sink because there were no shelves or towel bars for the towels.

The luggage cart was disgusting as well. How about a little brass cleaner? Or even Windex for heavens sake -- just wipe the thing down!

The staff was very unfriendly and seemed very disorganized.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

We picked this hotel because it is right in town, plus for the last 14 years, it hosts a nightly jazz jam session during the entire Rochester Xerox International Jazz Festival, from 10pm to 2-3am in the bar.

The location was ideal for walking to the jazz festival site, to restaurants, to the river, to the Genesee brewery.

We stayed 4D/4N. The hotel rooms were built in one big rectangular block on several floors, and the elevators were located on only one side. Our room was on the other side, so we had a long walk to the elevators.

The rooms however were quite large, with king size bed, adequate wardrobe, flat panel TV, coffee percolator, iron and iron board, safe, large bathroom, good toiletries.

We brought our own disposable bedroom slippers.

Buffet breakfast in the River Cafe on the second floor was only about $10, which was good value.

There is also a guest laundry and dryer, ice machine, soft drink vendor machine, all on the third floor in a room next to the elevator landing.

Reception was helpful and friendly. The F & B and housekeeping staff were extremely helpful and friendly.

Complimentary bus shuttle to and from the airport, which is only about 15 mins away. We had arrived after lunch, gave the hotel a call and a shuttle bus was immediately despatched to fetch us.

Room Tip: Pick a room either on the north or south side if you do not wish sun shining into your room. Rooms...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Buffalo, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Great staff!!! This could be a great hotel if;

1. Update sleeping rooms and bathrooms
2. Update hallways they look dirty
3. Nice pool but need to resurface deck areas and provide towels.
4. Repave parking areas and offer valet option ($10/day)
5. Full time trained security team

These 5 things would make this a premier property that could fetch $199-279/night.

• Stayed June 2014
Irvington, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

I stayed here for a night to attend my girlfriend's 50th birthday celebration. It was a 4hr drive from New Jersey. Upon arrival (a Saturday) and check in, there was nothing special about checking in. Receptionist was average, no smile, no welcoming attitude.
Went to my room and saw that I had a view. View of a couple of other buildings and a highway. It was cool. The bed was very comfortable. The room was clean. Noise level was crazy as folks coming in from partying was loud and being silly while others were trying to sleep. The sounds really carry from the hallway to your room. I have stayed in much better places, but for one night, it was ok.Parking is also available on site and there is wi-fi in the rooms but very weak.

Room Tip: just make sure and ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

The location in downtown Rochester near the Genesee River and Main Street is wonderful. You can get South to UR and RIT easily and get to Charlotte and Lake Ontario to the North.

The room rug was a bit shabby but the room was clean and the floor to ceiling windows had an awesome view. Did not use the pool or health club but was available.

The Sunday Brunch was disorganized and took longer to sit down than it should have. Seemed short-staffed for Memorial Day weekend. The State Street Grill ands Bistro was great for afternoon drinks.

The parking lot needs to be repaved. You could lose a bus in some of the potholes.

The staff was very helpful and friendly. Checkout was easy and although we were charged for parking; the $5 unlimited entry per day was not unreasonable.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are large and sunny. West side rooms have less street noise and a better view.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Been to Rochester Plaza Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!