“Adequate but noisy” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 29 hotels in Rochester
Lake George, New York
“Adequate but noisy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We stayed at the Rochester Plaza on Thanksgiving night, on our way from Ontario to Albany. The room was adequate at night but in the morning, we could hear every door in the hallway as it slammed shut, as various people left all morning long. Needless to say it was hard to sleep late.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
adaire, Director of Sales at Rochester Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments with your stay at the Rochester Plaza Hotel and Conference Center. We are doing our best to keep the rooms clean along with the renovations. We hope you will visit us again in 2013. Our renovations will be complete by June 2013.
Thank you again , we appreciate your time.

270 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Stayed here for a wedding this past weekend. Room was adequate, could have been a little cleaner. Lobby was under construction but it didn't affect my stay. Breakfast in the morning was good, pretty standard. Bartender was very friendly and catered to myself and the rest of the wedding party. Staff at the front desk were also accommodating but could have been more attentive with request for maintenance with some of the wedding party guests and concern in their rooms. Didn't explore around the neighborhood of the hotel at all. Catered events that were attended had good service and decent food. Would consider other options if I return to Rochester, but for a couple nights it was adequate.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
adaire, Director of Sales at Rochester Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to note your views on the hotel. We appreciate it. I have passed on the information to our front desk for future stays regarding an maintenance isssues. Again we appreciate the time you took to give us feedback and we hope to see you in the future.
Wimborne, Dorset
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We arrived at this hotel late evening for a one night stay and unfortunately my husband was suffering with severe dental pain. Monica at reception could not have been more helpful and drove us to Rochester Hospital. On our return to the hotel a member of reception paid the taxi driver for us. On getting to our room in the early hours we were very grateful for the warm room, clean bathroom and comfortable bed. Breakfast was very good with plenty of choice, fresh fruit, yogurts, cereal, bacon and eggs, juice and coffee. We had a pleasant stay at this hotel and staff were friendly and helpful, rooms very comfortable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your input on your recent stay at our hotel, we appreciate it. I will pass your note on to Monica, it was great she was there to help you out and I hope your husband is feeling better.
Thank you again for your nice words. They will be passed on.
Lynne Stewart
Director of Sales, Marketing, Catering.
Utica, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I arrived on a Friday afternoon a few hours prior to a business meeting. The parking garage is very small and tight, but also convenient to the entrance. Wasn't sure how to exit or if I was going the wrong way on a one-way driveway.
After I arrived, I had time to try out the fitness center. One young man was using the treadmill, apparently the only one that worked. I tried the various other apparatuses, but I couldn't adjust them for my size or even get some
of them working! The equipment seemed old and bulky.
Following my meeting, I returned to the hotel around 9:00. I saw very few people in the hotel in 24 hours. I went to the bar and the bartenders were pleasant and talkative. One traveler from Florida came into the bar later and we chatted a bit. My drink was reasonably-priced ($5.00).
The room was comfortable and clean. However, there was no refrigerator, which is something I like to have when I travel and eat out. Bathroom clean. However, there was a night light that flickered on and off all night and kept
me awake, especially since it reflected in the hallway mirror.
The next morning, I went to the fitness center before breakfast and managed to get the one treadmill to operate. I went to the dining area for breakfast (adjacent to the bar) around 9:45. The breakfast "buffet" offered little choice.
I got some fruit, orange juice, one bagel, some scrambled eggs, one slice of bacon and coffee. Cold, boxed cereal was also an option, but I didn't see any hot cereal or pancakes, which are traditionally offered. I toasted half of my bagel, then sat down to eat. The eggs were horrible--tasted like cardboard and I complained to the waiter, who offered no comment. The coffee was bitter and watered-down as if it sat there overnight.
After I started eating, the waitress came to me and asked me if I wanted anything else. No rush, she said, but they were clearing everything away. I said I wanted to toast the other half of my bagel -- the first half took a long time as it was -- and she said, fine, they would leave the toaster. A few minutes later, the waiter removed the toaster! All the food was removed and
it was barely 10:15. I didn't even finish my eggs or coffee, they were so bad.
I got the bill for $9.69, but I didn't leave a tip.
I checked out at 11 a.m. and used the business center briefly to check my
e-mail. One other person came in to the use the center.
The hotel is undergoing a renovation, which might explain the lack of guests, unless the word has gotten out on its poor services. I didn't have time to
check out the location downtown, but I did notice some stores opposite the hotel while I was sitting in the dining area.

Room Tip: My room overlooked the courtyard and the covered up outdoor pool. There were artificial trees knocke...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your input during your recent stay at the Rochester Plaza Hotel. I appreciate the feedback and am going to pass on to the appropriate persons departments so they can followup on the situations for that day during your stay. We are changing things along with our renvoations and I hope you will come to Rochester again and try us out again with all new renovations.
Lynne Stewart
Director of Sales, Marketing, Catering.
Notingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stayed one night whilst en route from New York to Niagara. The hotel itself was quite acceptable. the room was clean and spacious and the bar and restaurant excellent. The bar manageress in particular was very personable. The hotel is supposed to be conveniently situated for the city centre. I stayed on a Friday night and went into Rochester city centre. It was like a ghost town, everywhere was closed. The only place that I could find open for a meal was a sports bar that was virtually deserted. I went back to the hotel and had an excellent meal of fish and chips in the bar/restaurant. I was told that the population of Rochester is around one million people. they must all stay in on a Friday night because the town centre was the dullest I've ever been to. I couldn't believe there was so little there. Unless you are going there on business my advice would be to stay on the highway and drive past .

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
adaire, Director of Sales at Rochester Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for your input. Rochester does have alot going on depending the time of year.
My suggestion would be to go to www.visitrochester.com for all the great things going on here.
Thank you again.
syracuse, ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Made reservations due to proximity to Blue Cross Arena & price, which I thought was reasonable for a downtown location. Almost cancelled after reading reviews here but again location was good. I didn't think it was as terrible as some described. Our room was clean, beds were comfortable, check-in and out was quick. Bathroom was in need of some improvements ie. replacement of cracked sink and some peeling wallpaper but signs were in lobby saying renovations were going on in the hotel so hopefully that will be rectified. Checked out breakfast but did not purchase - it was a standard continental breakfast and not worth $8.00.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
adaire, Director of Sales at Rochester Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for your input on our hotel, yes we are renovating and the rooms havent been done yet . They will start renovation on the rooms in Jan-Jun 2013. We appreciate your comments and we hope to see you back after all our renovations are complete.
Lynne Stewart, Director of Sales, Marketing& Catering.
TORONTO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Well the location was great, central and right downtown, too bad downtown Rochester closes right up after 6 and on weekends - it was a ghost town after 6 on Friday, no cars, no pedestrians, no businesses open. Luckily we were only a short walk to Dinosaur BBQ.

There was some confusion over parking, there was a sign and attendant saying the lot was full when the front desk clerk had said they'd rented out the civic parking lot behind the hotel for the weekend as there were so many conferences and events at the hotel that weekend. But the attendant didn't know this and tried to turn us away so we had to go back to the desk and then come back again and he still wasn't going to let us park - so obviously some big breakdown in communication.

Our room was fine, newly renoed, great comfy beds and the roof pool was nice. However - the hotel is SO noisy. There is some kind of weird air suction in the halls so the room doors fly shut if you aren't aware or careful. Heck I did it inadvertantly a few times myself. But the Saturday night of our stay had a wedding in the hotel, a legion conference and a kids soccer tournament staying there so all night was bang bang bang of doors slamming as kids went room to room and wedding and conference guests came and went. It was terrible. But we found this hotel on Hotwire for $80 a night so I guess you get what you pay for?

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
adaire, Director of Sales at Rochester Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for your response on your stay. We apologize for the inconvenience of the parking issue, we appreciate your feedback so we can we improve on our communication within the frontdesk and parking attendant. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we will be looking into the doors and the noise you incurred. Also renovations will be going on thru Jun 1, 2013.
Lynne Stewart, Director of Sales, Marketing & Catering..

Been to Rochester Plaza Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!