“Nothing Special” 2 of 5 stars
Review of South Wedge Diner Inc.

No photo provided
Cuisines: American, Asian, Diner
Elk Rapids, Michigan
“Nothing Special”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I decided to check out the South Wedge Diner because it was highly rated on several sites and with the city newspaper. I was highly disappointed. It was really nothing you couldn't get at any other diner. You could also see them microwaving stuff. I gave them two stars because they were cheap, but other than that I don't see a reason to go back.

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

“No, thank you.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We love breakfast and specifically a weekend morning breakfast in Rochester. We were excited to try something new and regularly frequent Highland Park Diner (happily) but were just checking out a new place. We were pleasantly surprised by the crowd when we arrived on Sunday morning. We figured crowded must mean tasty. This was not the case. The coffee arrived with specks floating on the top. When he removed the specks and attempted to stir in the cream he found a small plastic top of a take-out dressing container in the bottom of his mug. The waitress removed the mug and replaced the coffee but it just grossed us out. My husband ordered the 4 berry stuffed french toast with a side of well done homefries, sausage and toast. The homefries came in a smooshed mess without even the attempt at making them well done and he has a hair in his eggs. At this point, the meal was a wrap and we were ready to leave. I had a rubbery egg white omelette with hardly toasted rye "toast" that left a ton to be desired. I have never written a poor review but this was bad enough that I am still thinking about it the next day.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“One of my favorite places for breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

The food here NEVER disappoints. Nothing fancy here just your average diner setup but the food is great ALL the time.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Rochester, New York
“Menu looks good but food taste and quality was a problem.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

I went early (7:30) on a Saturday morning having heard good things about it. The menu looks good and is varied with interesting breakfast choices such as a wide variety of versions of eggs Benedict . We had steak and eggs with raisin toast and home fries.

I was really disappointed with the quality of the food. The steak was very tough even though it was undercooked. The home fries, despite being heavily seasoned with paprika, had no flavor at all. There were soft, not crispy and completely devoid of salt or pepper. While you might over-look these as a one-time slip, what I can't forgive is that the raisin toast was hopelessly stale. Note to other restaurants: We are not fooled by toasting - we know stale when we eat it.

It is somewhat rundown with parts having been refurbished. (60's black and white tiles with mauve walls and wood tables).

The staff was nice enough but I did notice that the lunch menu is primarily Chinese food. This suggests to me that they might have a nice lunch, being more their forte. I, however, will never return for breakfast. I will stick with the Highland Diner just down the street or any of the several other places nearby.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Rochester, New York
“My favorite place for breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

Locally owned. A lot of pride in their place and attention to service and food. I often meet co-workers here for breakfast and also love to take the family on Saturday or Sunday.