“Good value” 4 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1956 Lyell Ave, Rochester, NY 14606   |
Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Rochester
“Good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

The room was clean. But the "non-smoking" room had a strong odor of smoke! Breakfast Items were good. Staff was friendly and accommodating. Location handy to Rochester. We would stay again but make sure that the room was really an non-smoking one.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

We are from Florida and being my first time to Rochester to take my son off to his college campus, it's already an emotional and special time. I booked this hotel online through Travelocity and was really excited to stay here since I've never stayed at this brand of hotel but price seemed perfect. When I finally got to the parking area of the hotel, thought it looked run down but figured I'd give it a chance anyways...As soon as I walked in and went to the Front Desk there was an employee by the name of Kimberly who seemed unwelcoming and started to doubt my choice of stay...She didnt say Hello, didn't smile, rudely just asked me if I had a reservation... She asked for my credit card and said that my credit card must have insufficient funds becase it wasnt going through her machine....She said this pretty loudly with other guest around, I thought it was pretty rude. When I explained to her that there is nothing wrong with my credit card her response was there is nothing she can do. So I gave her abother credit card belonging to my mother and she said the same thing.. She told me to go find some cash or she couldnt help me. I was soo Humuliated in front of strangers, I wanted to cry... I got in my rental car and called to other hotels around the area. Found a perfect little hotel, where my credit card worked perfectly (funds were available)and had an amazing experience...This lady Kimberly actually did me a favor because now I have a place to stay... where I am welcomed and treated with respect. By the way I work for a big hotel in the hospitality field and I was mortified on her conduct. Someone else from the hotel did call me back at the end of the day to apologize for Kimberly's behavior and to tell me that the credit card machine was down and thats the reason my credit card didnt go through... She also stated it's not the first time Kimberly acts like this with other guests...My first reply was Kimberly should be the one calling to apologize and second she shouldnt be working in the hospitality field...They must lose a lot of business with that lady on the front line... Memorable-Terrible Customer Service.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

I've been here for 2 nights now, I've stayed at several hotels in Rochester NY. This isn't a Marriott by any means but is a great hotel for the money and doesn't have the Marriott price either. Staff is friendly, my room was BIG and clean and breakfast is awesome. I will definitely stay here again.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

There was hair from previous guests on the bathroom floor and the side of the tub. Also hair waded up inside the folded "clean" towels. Also bobby pins on the floor from previous guests so pretty sure room was not cleaned very well.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Buffalo, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I made a reservation to check-in on 8/2/14 and Check-out on 8/3/14. One night stay was $104 which I think is not cheap but moderate price. I requested a non-smoking room with a king size bed. I received an e-mail wiht a confirmation number. Although I had my doubts about selecting a hotel that I have never visited, I selected La Quinta because it had a good review rate in Trip Advisor, a site I trust and support with my reviews. On 8/2/14, purposely arrived before the check-in time because I wanted to make sure my reservation was going to be honored. I explained to the Manager that I wanted to check-in early to make sure I had the room I selected and because my husband and I had to play in a tennis tournament and were coming to the hotel late and I did not want any "surprises" related to my room reservation. He assured me my room was available and proceeded to check me in. He told me I could not get my room key until I returned after the check in time. However, when I returned at night, the person at the desk gave me a key for a room with two double beds which was not what I requested. He then gave me the key for a room with a King Size bed, but when I entered in the room is was filthy (big stains in the carpet and damaged furniture) with a VERY STRONG smoke odor. I proceeded to inform the person at the front-desk about the smoke odor and that I requested a non-smoking room. He then told me that the room was a smoking room that had been "ionized." Whatever that means, it was a smoking room with a strong smoking odor and I have allergies. I cannnot stay in a room like that. I requested the room I RESERVED! He told me that they were "sold out." That was a lie because he had just given me earlier a room with two double beds. I asked to speak with the manager, but I was denied that. The front-desk person allegedly "called the manager" and he said the manager said "there is nothing he can't do." Where is the hospitality? It was already about 10:15PM, I was very tired, and now we had to drive back home that very night due to lack of hospitality? I am very dissapointed about this horrible treatment from this hotel. STAY at your own risk!

Room Tip: This hotel is TERRIBLE, dated decor, filthy and awful customer service for the amount of $ they char...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

This hotel is a great value and terrific location. Close to Rt 390 and 490, shopping, restaurants and the center of Rochester. The hotel was clean, quiet and the staff was very nice. Breakfast included hot entries like eggs, bacon and potatoes as well as the usual La Quinta breakfast. There is also a small fitness center on premise. I would stay again at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Billings, Mt
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

First impression: rough part of town - will my car be ok?

The grounds and common areas were not gross, but also not very nice.

The staff seemed pleasant enough, but not exactly thrilled to be there (can I blame them)?

Our room was adequate, but not great. For room cleanliness and fixture quality, the hotel was nowhere near the level of the chains against whom LQ is trying to compete.

Breakfast was probably the best thing about the stay.

If in the area again, I'd probably try my luck with another facility.

Room Tip: I would not want to be on the ground floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Been to La Quinta Inn Rochester North? Share your experiences!