“Lovely Vegan” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Vegan
Syracuse, New York, United States
“Lovely Vegan”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

If you are not vegan and you are eating with those who are, you will not feel deprived at the end of a meal at Red Fern. The food is tasty, spicy (if you want it that way) and satisfying to even the most carnivorous of palates. My son and niece had the compost plate and were not disappointed with the variety of stuff thrown together (in discreet mounds). My husband had one of the specials featuring corn tortillas. I had a seitan steak and was quite content at the end of my meal. A good choice of local beers and ales contributed to this family dinner. We will return!

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

New York
“Very good for vegans and omnivores alike!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

We absolutely loved this restaurant even though no one in our party was a vegan. Sandwiches were delicious and pretty generous. The men in the group both got the compost plate (their version of the garbage plate) and were raving about them. The only disappointment was the mixed greens that I ordered as my side. The amount given was barely a handful and there were no other vegetables included. I would recommend getting another side unless you are looking for a very light meal. We ordered desserts after dinner and we were all very pleased with our choices. Seating is limited, but cozy and the atmosphere is very relaxing and laid back. The service was friendly and efficient as well.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Organic but not many choices”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

The menu is small, and the chairs and tables are uncomfortable. Although I like that they have natural and healthy food choices, I felt that there were not enough choices for me to find things that I really wanted to eat.

Visited November 2013
Rochester, New York
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

If you are a vegan or vegatarian this place is a must try! The place is small but we went early and didn't have a problem being seated. The parking can be a little bit of a challenge too. The service was super friendly and great. The Mac and cheese and compost plate are both yummy! If you have a enough room for dessert, the dessert case is filled with delicious choices! I can't wait to go back!

Visited March 2014
Rochester, New York
“Great restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Visited the Red Fern for the first time with 3 other people. The place is quite small, so we were glad it wasn't too crowded. We each ordered a different item (vegan and gluten-free; happy with so many choices!) and shared them. They had just run out of the potpie special, which was a disappointment, since it sounded good. Our favorite was the Compost Plate, although the fruit and nut salad was very good as well. The portion sizes were generous. We will definitely be going back! I hope they end up expanding and moving into a larger place.

• Visited March 2014