“Excellent Latin/Spanish Food at Incredible Prices” 4 of 5 stars

(585) 235-3110
Improve this listing
Ranked #342 of 1,105 Restaurants in Rochester
Hollywood, Florida
“Excellent Latin/Spanish Food at Incredible Prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

I was in Rochester for a day or so, and staying out by the airport, so I began searching around for food options. Unfortunately, the area is dominated by the usual chain crap, but then I saw a review for El Latino. I live in south Florida, so I am very familiar with and love Latin/Spanish food in almost every form. So, out I headed in the brisk weather, for a walk down Chili Ave.

HINT: As I found out to my chagrin, when describing this place to friends in Rochester, they pronounce "Chili" like it rhymes with Jai Alai, not like a chili dog.

When I walked through the door, I could smell the food. This restaurant is like many Latin restaurants that have a set group of dishes that the cook and serve each day, up on a chalkboard. They also have a separate sandwich menu.

I was hungry and decided to get some roast pork, and to also order a Cuban sandwich. The serving of most items come in your choice of three sizes. Be aware, and I am a large guy, that the smallest serving is enough for two people, and it just gets larger, much larger from there. The roast pork was absolutely delicious. Perfectly done, and nice and juicy. The Cuban sandwich was also very good, but is not a true "Cuban sandwich" as we here in south Florida know them, and we know the real deal. Their sandwich was more of a Cuban focaccia, with traditional ham, Swiss, and some of the yummy roast pork inside the sandwich, which was then put in a sandwich griddle to cook., The sandwich could have also fed two people. Needless to say, I took the leftovers back to my hotel room for a great snack the next day.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Rochester, New York, United States
“Great Dominican food for a great price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Claribel, the owner, is a friend of my husband's. Before she owned the restaurant, he ate many delicious meals at her house. Originally on Thurston Road, El Latino is now on Chili Ave, not far from the airport. Served cafeteria style, the portions are ample and laid out for you to choose from. Usually, there are about 6-8 entrees, with about as many sides. El Latino always serves a standard pork and chicken fare, but there are usually a few interesting courses like Ox-tail stew for the more adventurous. We always order an extra side of plantains, which are practically dessert.

No alcoholic drinks served ( clicked on terrible below, but I really meant "not applicable:)

• Visited November 2013