“WONDERFUL for Sushi (I don't recommend going for Hibachi)” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Adirondack, New York
“WONDERFUL for Sushi (I don't recommend going for Hibachi)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

This is probably my favorite restaurant in Rochester and I have been numerous times. I always get sushi and usually order my own rolls rather than doing the All You Can Eat. If you do want to the All You Can Eat, I recommend going with a group of people who also want to do it, because you get a chance to try more rolls that way.

The only time I have had a bad experience is when I went there with people who wanted Hibachi on a Friday night. The service was slow, orders were mixed up, and it is hard to have a conversation around the Hibachi table.

If you just go for Sushi, you can sit either at the bar or at this other section that is just for Sushi eaters. I always enjoy sitting at the Sushi bar because the chef gives you special attention and your food always comes out quick. I have also always received decent service sitting in the other section though, if you want a bit more seclusion.

• Visited June 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

29% Recommend
Greenville, South Carolina
“Don't how I feel about Arigato.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011 via mobile

We went here for a friend's birthday party ...at her request. It was ok but I wasn't blown away. I had never had hibachi before, so that may be part of my disillusion with the experience.

The food was oj. The service was just ok. The atmosphere was hot and a bit "unprofessional" for me.

It wasn't bad...I just wasn't blown away.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Rochester NY
“Chef Eddie was the best!!!! Great food, great fun!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

We (Myself, Hubby, Mother-in-law, Daughter 19, Daughter 7 and her friend also 7) visited the Arigato on a Friday evening around 5:30. I called earlier in the day to make ressies for the hibachi section of the restaurant. I had to leave a message on the machine as they dont answer until 2pm. I was called back to confirm my ressies around 4. Very nice lady confirmed time and number of people. We arrived and we greeted by a very nice hostess and shown to a little room where we were seated around the "U" shaped Hibachi table. Our waiter came very quickly and took our drink order. The young girls got Shirley Temples and requested extra cherries. Drinks came very quickly and the girls were thrilled with there extra, extra cherries. We were given about 5 more min and our waiter returned to take our orders and bring our soup. Salads arrived soon after. Our chef arrived and was so cheerful and fun! His name was Eddie and I suggest you request him if you can!!! What a great young man.. He was a wonderful chef as well as showman. We asked him quite a few questions about the food, the training etc and he was polite and answered all of our questions. We had a nice chat about school etc. We loved the "Show". He talked to the girls and explained what he was doing They didn't want to catch the rice balls he threw but loved the fact that Dad, Mom and Grandma were getting hit with flying rice. The meal included soup, salad, fried rice, veggies and your meat. I had chicken, my daughter had shrimp, hubby had steak and MIL had talapia. All were cooked perfectly!! We had very, very large portions and had plenty to take home for lunch the next day. The Hibachi seats 8. We were seated alone but when we arrived the restaurant was not busy. As it got busier I saw many people were seated with other parties. I am not sure this would be fun with young children. The only negatives I have was that the bathrooms were old and run down. The wall paper was falling down and bare wall was exsposed in many places.The restaurant itself was cold!! I was very cold until the Hibachi got hot. My daughter had her coat on until Eddie started the fire. We all had on short sleeves and would have been fine if we were wearing long sleeves I think.
We arrived at 5:30 and there were only a few others in the restaurant. When we left around 7:15 it was full. There are coupons on Restaurant.com for this restaurant and I will be going back. We had a great time. Great food, great fun and especially a great chef!!!! Make sure you call for ressies and If you can request Chef Eddie!!!

• Visited March 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Rochester, New York
“Not likely to be going back..”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

The only reason we tried this place was because they were on restaurant.com. However, not only did they raise the minimum purchase for the discount, they also excluded the all you can eat sushi. The sushi bar had a really fun chef, but it was all chef's choice and basically the most inexpensive options. Our waitress was very nice but rarely seen. An overall mediocre experience. I don't think I'll be going back anytime soon.

• Visited October 2010
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Rochester, NY
“Cold main dining room + mediocre service + poor menu selection=Eat elsewhere!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2010

Friday October 15, 2010 7:30pm. I had grabbed a $25 restaurant.com certificate in August for this establishment and had not used it yet. My wife and I were childless and felt like sushi so off to Arigato we went. For a Friday night, the place seemed pretty quiet when we walked in yet the sushi bar area was full. We were directed to the main dining area by the greeter. I'm not exaggerating if I tell you that it was less than 65 degrees at out table. The freezing cold made it seem like an eternity before our waitress arrived to take our order (but it was probably 15 minutes). To our dismay HALF OF THE SUSHI ON THE MENU WAS NOT AVAILABLE! The common fish was available (salmon,tuna, whitefish) but anything that you couldn't find in the local grocery store was not available. Begrudgingly, we placed our order from the short list of what WAS available and added 2 cups of Miso soup and seaweed salad to get warmed up. The Miso was mediocre at best but the seafood salad was quite tasty. We noticed our waitress doubling as the bartender and busboy as our order hit the sushi chef who was busy chatting up one of the customers. Some 20 minutes later,our 4 pieces of sushi and 6 tuna rolls arrived.which I have to admit tasted just fine ----but so does the sushi from the local grocery, Wegman's for less than a third of the price! A second order for sushi was handled the same as the first and delivered in 15 minutes. To summarize; freezing cold main dining room + mediocre service + poor menu selection = eat elsewhere. Maybe the hibachi is better??

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere