“Great sushi spot -but come for brunch!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #275 of 1,105 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian
Rochester, New York
“Great sushi spot -but come for brunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

We have visited bonzai twice now for brunch on the recommendation of friends. The first time it was very crowded and the only seating was at the sushi bar, which was ok for our party of four. We had French press coffee and small pastries, an eggs Benedict that was served w/ a wasabi sauce in crisply wontons with pork belly, and home fries with cheddar. We also enjoyed some specialty cocktails, which were very delicious but pricey at $9-11-ish each.
The second time we went there was seating available but we sat at the bar. I ordered the buttermilk Benedict -eggs Benedict over buttermilk biscuits with pork belly. My bf ordered a special Benedict with angus beef sliders and bacon. Both were amazing and flavorful. We shared a home fry with a side of sausage gravy - nice spicy flavor
To that as well.
Service was friendly and personable both times - highly recommend bonzai for an imaginative south wedge brunch.

Rochester, New York, United States
“A Nice Change”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I almost always give "extra credit" to anyone bold enough to open their own establishment . . . and that's especially true for Banzai Sushi Bar & Lounge. I love the South Avenue revitalization and the extra effort the owner of the Banzai has put into the creativity of their restaurant. It is a little on the small side . . . but "cozy comfortable". We went with our family of four and everyone enjoyed the creative menu. We thought the food was great and drinks were good . . . a little on the expensive side . . . But again, I don't mind spending a few extra dollars to support a locally owned and operated business. This will be one of our "special occasion" places to celebrate birthdays, date nights, etc.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Rochester
“Good Food / High Prices”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Sushi not bad - had the Crab Rangoons - I liked them Wife was indifferent, I had several rolls - each one was good - not great. I thought the overall meal was expensive. I agree with the other reviewer in that the place was COLD the first time I went. I will post another review when I go there with my buddy from Charleston - he is the Sushi King.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Rochester, NY
“Better sushi and better values elsewhere in town”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Having been to other "non-traditional" sushi places in town I was expecting more from the hip Banzai. The tempura vegetables were not in a light batter but a breading that turned out to be heavy and greasy, a real disappointment. The crab rangoons were good but nothing special and the three sushi rolls were okay at best and pricey for what you got compared to California Rolling which I think is much better. The one bright spot was the service which was very friendly and efficient. Overall we would not return.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Rochester, New York
“A little place with a big taste!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This little gem in Rochester's South Wedge offers a delectable variety of dim sum and sushi/sashimi that is hard to resist. Come on Thursday night for their $5 martini and cosmo specials and 20% of their deluxe rolls. I'm partial to the Maui Wowie, which has ahi tuna, mango, and avacado tucked nicely into a sushi roll. Of course, the Killer Shrimp roll is quite good too! Actually, I haven't had a roll there I didn't like! The fish is "ono" (fresh and delishious), service is attentive, and drinks mixed to perfection. Only down side is that the door doesn't self close, and patrons tend to forget that, leaving it open as they come and go -- definitely chills the mood on a cold winter day in this tiny establishment. But it's well worth it!

• Visited March 2013