“Great atmosphere, good beer, AWFUL service.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #93 of 1,095 restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
“Great atmosphere, good beer, AWFUL service.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

I visited the Genesee Brew House Restaurant on a Friday night (11/09/12).

I went with 5 of my girlfriends and we wanted to eat and have a few beers.

To make a long story short: our waiter rushed us, snapped at us, walked away while we were ordering, took some of our plates without asking if we're done, and closed our tab before we had a chance to order another beer. I'm well aware we could have reopened our tabs but we decided to drink Genesee beer somewhere else. Honestly, he was the worst waiter I have ever had.

I would go back to try it out again, but if I saw that waiter approach us I would ask to switch sections, or quite possibly jump into the view of High Falls.

Disappointed Rochesterian

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

73% Recommend
“A Rochester stop for locals and visitors”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

For beer lovers, Genesee Brewery did this right. Located adjacent to the brewery. Features gift shop and tasting room on first floor with bar w pub food upstairs. Parking lot gives direct access to downtown rochester's high falls (truly. A hidden urban gem most visitors miss).

Buffalo, New York, United States
“Hidden Gem!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

This restaurant is a little bit off the beaten path, but with the iconic Genesee Brewery right next door, it's not too hard to find if you're looking for it. We loved the warehouse look and the beer couldn't have been any fresher. The menu is small, but the food was delicious. They have a really cool bar and gift shop that boasts lots of Genesee memorabilia and trivia. Service was top notch and I will be telling everyone I know that they need to try this place out.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Rochester, New York
“Beer Tasting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

The new Genesee Brew House in Rochester offers a bit of history about the region, a nice restaurant, a view of the beer making process and best of all a $2.00 tasting of many of the beers that are made at the brewery. For $2.00 you get to taste five different beers and the "bartender" will tell you everything that you always wanted to know about the brewing process. In the nice weather you can sit outside and eat on the patio and you will have a lovely view of the falls.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Williamson, NY
“more of an attraction than a restaurant...a new Rochester must when you are visiting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I would start by saying this is more of an attraction than a restaurant; that having been said it's a new Rochester must when you are visiting. Walking in, the view from the restaurant looking onto the High Falls is a great view of the city. Rustic is probably the right term. You see the gorge, the waterfall, the city, the railroad, buildings (old, new, historic and dilapidated).

A lot of care was taken in putting together the brew house. There is a museum, gift shop and tasting room on the first floor. There is a restaurant on the second floor, with a terrace overlooking the gorge. The restaurant is more of a deli with burgers and sandwiches, but the food is good and compliments a Genny nicely. Staff was friendly and fast.

In conclusion I would describe the brew house similarly to how I would describe Rochesterians... friendly, informative, unpretentious, and full of beer.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere