“Absolutely Ridicules” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Amaya Indian Cuisine

Amaya Indian Cuisine
1900 Clinton Ave South, Rochester, NY 14618 (Formerly Amaya Bar and Grill)
+1 585-241-3223
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 989 Restaurants in Rochester
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Delivery, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Modern Indian flavors transformed into a contemporary gourmet experience! Pleasant, amazing dining experience.
“Absolutely Ridicules”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

First of all I would like to say that this is my first review ever. I simply felt compelled to share my experience .My wife and I went to Amaya for the first time and each ordered a Lamb Shashlik ($18 a plate) this is another word for shish kabob. When food arrived we first thought it was some sort of appetizer because of the small portion but then we realized it was our Lamb Shashlik. Among grilled veggies each plate had three tiny pieces of lamb and I would like to emphasize the words tiny and three. We called the waitress. She offered to take our plates away and maybe adding couple more pieces of lamb. I should say that I am very familiar with shashlik and a couple more pieces of lamb wouldn't make a normal portion. We also were left to feel like we were complaining for no reason. We decided to cancel our order and leave. I don't see how they could plan a dish of grilled veggies with three tiny pieces of lamb for $18. This is probably more expensive than Kobe Beef Filet Mignon. Even though we didn't have to pay we felt very bad and taken advantage of.

Visited August 2012
AmayaBarAndGrill, Owner at Amaya Indian Cuisine, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
I am extremely sorry that the Lamb Shashlik did not meet your expectations. Our Shashlik is prepared with the best quality lamb which is marinated, and then skewered with vegetables and cooked in the tandoor. We stand by our commitment to quality modern Indian Cuisine. We invite you to come back and try Shashlik or other items on our menu. We take your comments seriously and will make sure that every aspect of our dishes meet the highest standard for value and quality.

Rochester, New York
“Not just good--it's like reliving your first kiss!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

There are a thousand good Indian restaurants in New York and there have been many in Rochester, but Amaya is fantastic, and it is like nothing you have had. Some of the flavors and names of dishes are familiar, but everything has at least a variation on the usual style. Many of the dishes will be completely new and exciting. Going there is like reliving the first time you tried good Indian food.

You might try the Gobi Chili Chaat as an appetizer. It's not the typical greasy deep-fried pakora-type dish; it's battered and lightly fried with a gently spiced sauce, a little fresh cilantro on top and a side of some sort of sweet-pickled papaya salad.

My dinner tonight brought me back to the night I arrived in the "big city" to start college, and was stunned by the newness of good Asian food.

Service is friendly, sincere and professional, the bar is good, and I'm told the Sunday brunch is something to come back for.

They also cater, and your guests would be very impressed.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Simply Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

This is soooo not your typical Indian restaurant. The quality of food, the freshness and the beautiful/artistic presentation made this one of the best experiences I've had at a restaurant in Rochester in a very, very long time.

The prices were reasonable, the waitress very knowledgeable and easily accomodated my food allergies. The atmosphere was somewhat Indian/tuscan/metro, which was a nice refreshing update to this type of restaurant and it's former occupants.

I can't say enough about this wonderful restaurant other than try it you won't be disappointed.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cracow, Malopolskie, Poland
“Amaya Bar and Grill”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

After being consistently disappointed with the options for Indian cuisine in Rochester for several years, I was extremely happy to come across Amaya. The food was fantastic, the restaurant was clean and elegant, and the service was knowledgable, prompt and courteous. The menu offers many choices without being overwhelming; it even includes 4 and 10 course tasting menus (with or without alcohol-pairing). The wine and spirits list was quite impressive as well, including some nice Scotch selections. After only one visit, this already promises to be one of my favorite spots for lunch and dinner. I can't wait to go back...

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Good vegan choices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Really unique flavors. My wife & I ordered vegan dishes. Very tasty & well presented. Hopefully, they'll add more vegan dishes to the menu in the future. It is a little more expensive than your typical Indian restaurant, but reasonable for what you get & delicious! They have a new menu, so lots of interesting choices.

• Visited June 2012