“Good value” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 29 hotels in Rochester
New Haven
“Good value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2008

Clean comfortable room. Love the free wifi. Breakfast a little disapointing, but hey, it's free too. Helpful staff. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed December 2008

171 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Kitchener, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2008

We booked two rooms for two nights at $89 US per night (AAA / senior rate) through the hotel website.

Parking was right out the front, and very convenient to the room. Check in was quick, and we were assigned rooms close to each other, as requested. There was coffee and brownies in the lobby, which was a nice touch.

The room was quite small though. The bath-tub/toilet area was very confined. Just enough room to open the door. The sink/mirror was small (i.e. no counter space), and outside the bath-tub area. There was no built-in closet, so there was a separate closet plus dresser/tv-stand, table, two chairs, fridge, microwave and low/coffee table all in a very confined space. With three people in the room it was quite crowded.

Breakfast was good though. It included make your own waffles, scrambled eggs, bacon or ham, lots of breads for the toaster, cereal, yogurt, coffee, juice, fruit, etc. There were enough tables for about 30 people to sit down.

Location was awesome. Just a block away from Christmas Tree Shops, Marshalls, etc. A few blocks from the Marketplace Mall, Wal-Mart, Target, etc. And a couple of blocks from Big Lots, and the highway.

Bottom line ... I would go back. It was worth the price. But I found it quite small. Which is fine if you're not spending a lot of time in the room.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2008

We have stayed in four or five hotels in Rochester while visiting with our child and subsequently moving in and out. We found most of the hotels off 390/590 (Henrietta, Marketplace Mall, Airport) to be similar; they all are clean and convenient and offer free breakfasts. However, the Best Western cost us half of what the other hotels cost s, and so, we would choose it since it's quality is no different from the others.

• Liked — value
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2008

An ok experience, but probably wouldn't stay again unless we couldn't find something elsewhere. We were told the rooms were renovated in the past 3 years and the other areas are still a work in progress (inside & out). We had a room in the back side of the hotel (away from road traffic) with a king bed (quite comfortable) and a huge whirpool tub. It looked like the carpet, curtains, & bed/bedding were updated but furniture looked used and worn. I felt it could have been cleaner but I've certainly seen worse and better. Bathroom was on the small side. I didn't like the set up of the bathroom vanity right inside the door to the room. People from the hallway could look right in if someone was coming in or leaving the room. We didn't have their continental breakfast so we can't comment on that. Staff seemed friendly enough. Overall, not a bad experience, just not very special. We stayed in places that I'd consider more upscale, better decorated, & cleaner. But it wasn't bad for the price we made. We've previously stayed in Homewood Suites & Country Inn & Suites and so far they are our favorites for the Rochester area (we visit the area often because we have a son at RIT). Sometime we'd like to try the Doubletree (if we can get a reasonable price).

• Liked — nothing in paricular, but bed was comfortable
  • Disliked — not as clean as I'd like it, didn't like bath vanity right inside door, furniture didn't look new for a recent renovation
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2008

Just got back from an overnight stay at The Best Western Market Place Inn on Jefferson Road, which we enjoyed very much. While we had stayed in the building before, it was not the Best Western at that time. I do believe that things have improved since being taken over by Best Western.
Check in and out was very simple and super fast. We had 3 whirlpool rooms and were happy with them, although I feel the price I paid was a little high for this certain hotel. 2 were on the ground floor and one was above on the second floor.
The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. Everyone of them spoke when they had opportunity to.
My daughter's room, on the ground floor across the hall from mine smelled like cigarette smoke the minute we opened the door, although all three had been reserved as nonsmoking and the sign outside the room and on top of the TV indicated it was a no smoking room. This did not bother her much as all her friends smoke. Had it been my room I would have asked to have it sanitized or to change rooms.
There were plenty of towels and toiletries both for showering and the whirlpool. And gallons of hot water for both. The W/P in my son's room on the second floor kept losing water and they kept having to add more, but that was a minor inconvenience, as was the fact that neither my son nor daughter had directions on how to work the W/P in their woom like I had in mine. Luckily they had all been to my room and seen the sign so they knew that the timer outside the teeny, tiny bathroom was to operate the huge W/P next to the bed and not the fan in the bathroom. The sink was on the outside of the bathroom, which was fine with me and I knew this before I ever booked the rooms.
I have back problems and the king size bed was very firm which worked well for me. But, I was the only one who didn't complain, except my 5 year old granddaughter. The pillows were soft, yet supportive and there were 4 of them on each bed in all three rooms.
My granddaughter and son made use of the DVD player provided in each room. My son borrowed a movie from the front desk and had a hard time choosing which one they were going to watch. My granddaughter on the other hand came prepared with DVDs all packed in her bag.
The rooms were clean, but very small. I found it hard to get between the super nice desk chair and the bed to get to the other side of the bed. .
Another feature that we found helpful that you don't find at other hotels is an outlet on each side of the bed. These were built into each bedside light and with both my husband and I needing CPAP machines to sleep we were overjoyed to find that we didn't have to string the extension cords that we always carry with us.
The heater worked great in all the rooms. I did have a problem in my room with it blowing the curtain out over the bed so it was hard to get into it. The liner of the curtain stayed put, so no one could see in (we were on the ground floor). We finally turned it off and were very comfortable while we slept.
The hot continental breakfast was great. Plenty of food for everyone, with many choices. Hot foods were hot, cold foods were cold. And, all were restocked in a very timely manner. The 24 hour coffee in the lobby was always fresh too.
The fitness room was small, but all the machines were in working order and there was no one else there when I went in first thing in the morning.
We went to the Red Lobster with other family members for dinner, but there was a 2 hour wait for 10 of us, so we decided on the Roadside Steak House. The meal was fantastic, the price was great and it was only a couple doors down from our hotel.
My son was disappointed to find that the Krispy Kreme store that had once been down beyond the hotel was out of business, but soon forgot his disappointment when we went into Gander Mountain to shop.
All in all it was a very nice overnight stay and I would definitely stay there again. I might even pay the price for a whirlpool room, but definitely wouldn't foot the bill for 3 again.

New York City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2007

Nothing specifically bad about this hotel, just a "low rent district" kind of place. Lobby staff nice but the lobby itself has seen better days.
Room was clean, but setup was bizarre. No closet. No sink in the bathroom. Freestanding sink in the bedroom area with no counter upon which to place toiletries. A small armoire in the corner was inaccessable since a recliner was shoved up against the doors.
"Hot" breakfast was straight from the freezer to the microwave.

• Liked — Lobby staff
  • Disliked — Room setup
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
Allentown, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2007

We booked this hotel based on positive reviews and definitely did not have the same experience as others had. The hotel is in the process of being renovated and construction began at 8am (which was not mentioned on their website). Our room was on the first floor and assuredly had not yet been renovated. There was a cold breeze leaking from a broken seal around the air conditioning unit. The paint was bubbling up from the wall around the unit and there was a smell of mildew. The heat setting was either low or high and low got the room uncomfortably warm very quickly so we couldn't leave it on all night. The room was on the Jefferson St side and we heard traffic all night. Around 5am the alarm clocks in the room next to ours went off - no one was in the room and it continued to beep for 30 minutes or so until my husband called the front desk and asked someone to turn it off. Then the alarm clock in the other adjacent room went off; obviously no one in that room either because it was still beeping as we left. It was a miserable sleepless experience. We were planning on being there for 2 nights but checked out after the first night. Staff didn't seem to care.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — shabby noisy room
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to BEST WESTERN Rochester Marketplace Inn? Share your experiences!