“Great service, great view, great food” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Lake Avenue
Transit: Number 1 bus from the Downtown and taxi service.
Rochester, New York
“Great service, great view, great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

We were nervous about trying Pier 45 due to mixed reviews but we figured at least we would have a great view. We had reservations and were seating promptly. Megan was our waitress and she was wonderful. We decided on the tapas menu and we really enjoyed the ginger and garlic beef lettuce wraps, meatball sliders and the cool potato chips with cheese and a hint of cinnamon, delicious! Glad we went and are sad that the summer is coming to an end because we would enjoy going there again.

“Huge Disappointment!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

The only thing to commend this place is its location IF you're able to dine outside. The waitstaff is rude, service is non-existent & the food from the limited menu is pricey & poor. They lost our lunch reservations & acted like we were trying to get in without them. We were offered outdoor seating with a 45 min. wait; we opted for indoor (dark, warehouse) seating & it took them over 45 min. to serve us, anyway. The order was wrong; no apologies, making us feel we were at fault. A miserable experience that explains their well-known financial difficulties. At this rate, Pier 45 will be sinking soon!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Rochester, NY
“Great Location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

My wife and I dined here on a Thursday evening. I will start out by saying the the inside portion of the restaurant appears to be very nice, but the outside is even better. I was pleased to be able to sit outside to get a great view of the river and all the action. This dining area is very unique and I don't think there is anyplace in Rochester that can top it!

Out waitress was good, although she seemed to maybe be new and a little nervous. That's ok with us as we are pretty laid back and she was very nice which made up for her lack of experience. We did see a woman (who was maybe a manager) working around the dining area and if I had any complaint, it would be of her. It appeared there may have been an issue with a table and a server, but rather than address the issue inside away from diners, she did it right out for everyone to see...not too professional. Overall the service time was good. It was not super fast, but it was adequate and allowed us to enjoy a great evening outside.

The food we had got mixed results. Let me start by saying that the Creole Shrimp Bisque was GREAT! I think i could have had a bowl of this and made it my dinner. It had just enough spice and flavor to make me savor every bite. For dinner we had a mix of entrees and tapas that we shared. In all, the food was good but I think it could have been better. To me it seemed that the menu just needs some refinement to make the menu/food match the location.

All in all, we had a great experience. We would definitely return again and I hope that this place can survive. We always here the question marks about if this restaurant can remain viable and I certainly hope it does. Rochester needs a place like this and with a little work, this place would be amazing!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Rochester, New York
“great food, great atmsophere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

If possible, request to sit outside on the patio, takes you far away from New York State! The food was good.

Visited July 2012
Rochester, NY
“Good food, service, poor customer service policies”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Enjoyed a nice curry chicken salad, except that "bed of bibb lettuce" promised was minimal, and the rich dish needed more lettuce. My waitress offered to get some, but came back to say the manager said I could only have more if I ordered and paid for a side salad!! The cost is immaterial, this is just bad, penny-pinching practice, and NOT the way to retain customers.
Our waitress was great, and the food was good, but just don't like this attitude.
Location alongside the river is lovely.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere