“Really nice place with a diverse menu” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
1,149 reviews 1,149 reviews
“Really nice place with a diverse menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We ate at Sakura last night, and had another outstanding meal there. Sakura offers a wide variety of menu selections, which is dominated by their sushi and sashimi meals. (They are great for lunch, too.) This restaurant also offers a hibachi room, too, although that is MUCH harder to get into for dinner, as people seem to prefer the communal "show" that is put on by the hibachi chefs.

We have enjoyed both the non-sushi items, such as the salmon and other fish, as well as the sushi or sashimi dinners, which are served with miso soup and a very nice salad dish. The also offer meals, such as steak, which are brought out uncooked, along with an 800 degree "cooking stone," for those who wish to cook their own meals. (I'd rather not do that when I go out to eat.) Other traditional Japanese dishes suchas yaki soba round out the menu.

One small little "down" point about this place is that it is not especially accommodating to vegetarians. This is something I never considered until this visit, since my daughter has recently given up meat and fish of all kinds. However, even though there were no really interesting vegetarian main courses, she still found enough good stuff on the menu to put togethera filling meal.

Overall, this is the best place in Rochester I've found to enjoy a wonderful sushi meal in a peaceful and attractive setting. I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for this kind of evening.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

80% Recommend
“Fresh food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Nice ambience and the sushi prices are reasonable..if you are not doing hibachi and not interested in sushi there are not a ton of choices

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“LOVE LOVE LOVE this restuarant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Sushi is woderful, so fresh. Can't beat the lunch box ! Speciality Rolls are to die for. Just the right price for a wonderful, tasty lunch!

Visited September 2012
Upstate N.Y.
“Worth returning to.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

If only for the crab tuna tower. With avacado, this app was really a well balanced treat. I enjoyed the surf and turf roll as well, tho it seemed overpriced, and not as well balanced with its flavors. Everything was fresh and the sauces were really good. Service from Sean was spot on. We did show up on a Friday evening. Be advised a number of people were waiting to be served at the hibachi tables, so if you wish to have this style meal I would suggest an early arrival.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Unwanted company”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We ate at Sakura Home tonight. The front room is very attractive but the hibachi room did not appear all that clean, even before we noticed...Among the five of us we ordered hibachi, a cucumber roll and a soup. After salads we noticed an unwanted guest of the arthropod variety running along the next hibachi table. Yes, that type of guest. We debated leaving but half the party, the kids, visiting from out of town, wanted to stay. I got up and told the host. We did the hibachi, ate quickly and asked for the check. As soon as the kids were done eating they asked to wait outside. I couldn't eat - too distracted looking around (and once you really look you will see the place is not well cleaned). So before leaving I told the waiter as the host had clearly not told anyone. I had expected a manager or someone when we first complained so we could move farther away. (I know, I know, if there's one, but still...). Anyway, the waiter returned and told us we had 50% off. We paid and left without the manager seeing us. I felt bad for the waiter. I was torn about whether to post this since they discounted the bill, but I rely on tripadvisor a lot and would want to know.