“Great affordable option on the North Fork” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Riverhead
New York City, New York
“Great affordable option on the North Fork”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for one night in order to attend a vineyard wedding on the North Fork. I didn't expect much, but it was convenient and affordable. We arrived for an unscheduled early check-in and were told that a king size room wasn't clean yet, but we could have a double queen suite. We took it! I kept saying to my husband, why can't these sorts of upgrades happen when we travel with our pre-schooler son!? The room was clean and comfortable. The beds were surprisingly comfortable. The towels were plush and clean. Although the bath towels were a bit small. My only complaint is that the shower was less than desirable - it was not very forceful and I had to keep adjusting the hot water. Otherwise, we had a great stay and I'd consider it as an option again with or without son in tow!

• Liked — clean modern accomodations
  • Disliked — towel size, shower
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
colts neck nj
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2008

We recently spent a few days enjoying the north and south fork of eastern Long Island. This hotel has a good location for traveling in either direction and is centrally located. It is clean and the staff is very helpful. Continental Breakfast is served.

Upon checkin, the hotel had a very strong smell of air freshener throghout the lobby and halls. It was so overpowering in our room that I actually had teary eyes and could taste it. Whenever I smell something so strong, my suspicions are that it is a bug killer and since I am always worried about bedbugs I asked at the desk and they showed me the spray can and it was just a very strong deodorizer used by the housekeeping staff.

Our room was in the front of the hotel and the noise from the highway was very loud throughout the night. Trucks and motorcycles roared by regularly so it felt like you were sleeping right on the road. Next morning, we asked to be put in the rear of the hotel and they were very accomodating and the switch was made. I recommend asking for a room in the rear or be prepared for heavy road noise and a sleepless night if you are a light sleeper. The back of the hotel is quiet.

Overall, given the prices in the area, this place is fine for the money. I would recommend it. However, I disagree with previous reviews calling it an upscale establishment, It is what it is; a generic Holiday Inn Express that is very clean and well run.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — directly on highway
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2008

I travel frequently for business and I have stayed in many, many hotels. This little HI Express Hotel is absolutely awesome and I am not a fan of HI hotels generally.

Pluses: Very, very clean -- the day we left there were 3 cleaning personnel scrubbing the tile in the lobby. There were cleaning staff on every floor all the time. Front office staff were helpful. The rooms were HUGE -- we were upgraded to a suite which had a couch, table/chairs, microwave and fridge. Good location for exploring either the north fork or the south fork.

Minuses: No pool, although they are just finishing it and it will be open in the next few weeks.

Overall, I would stay again in a minute.

• Liked — Very large rooms. Cleanliness.
  • Disliked — No swimming pool
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
st louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2008

me and my wife were shocked at the quality of this hotel. first time we stayed at a holiday inn express. this hotel is new and extremely clean. excellent big, clean rooms. bathroom was great, provided everything from lotion to mouth wash. breakfast was great. this hotel completely was the bright spot in our 5 nights of hotels on our vacation including a 4 star hotel in nyc. this topped that. we needed internet access to change our itinerary for the trip and they have a nice business center on the first floor with a printer and everything you need. great hotel. would stay there anytime!

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — closeness to the hamptons beach
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
East Meadow, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2008

The hotel was nice. The room was big and clean. We booked a little late, so our only option were smoking rooms (yuck!), or a King bed in a handicapped room. Apparently the shower in a handicapped room has no bottom, and we wound up with water all over the bathroom floor.

The main problem was that our room was right in the middle of a block reserved for wedding guests. The party came back at 1:30 am and continued in the hallway. After 1/2 hour of being constantly woken up by slamming doors and people laughing in the halls I called the front desk. They sent security it immediately and it got quiet again - for a little bit. Around 2:30 in the morning I kept hearing cells phones ringing and people laughing. Apparently a group of teenagers from the wedding decided to park themselves in front of my door. I called downstairs again, and secruity came up again to disperse them.

The noice wasn't really the hotel's fault, but they should not have given us a room in the middle of a party.

Free breakfast the next morning was OK. Nothing spectacular about it - some cereals, fruit, muffin, and bagels.

The rest of the hotel seemed nice, but we really weren't there long enough to enjoy it.

• Liked — Large clean rooms
  • Disliked — The noise echoing in the hallway
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Waterbury, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2008

Who knew a Holiday Inn Express could be so comfortable, so clean, and have a staff that could rival any "luxury" hotel in terms of customer service? Every year, Matt & I take a long Easter weekend and try someplace new. This year it was eastern Long Island. A lot of the quaint bed & breakfasts were not yet open for the season, so we gave this a try. I would go back there in a heartbeat!! I requested a bottle of champagne be waiting when I reserved our room and totally forgot about it until I walked in! Our room was very clean (nice touch with the breadspread free rooms, HIE!!), comfotable and roomy. The continential breakfast every morning was good, and surprisingly, the coffee was pretty good too! The shower was GREAT, nice water pressure, plenty of hot water, soft towels, etc. Also, HIE encourages a "green" environment by requesting patrons who stay longer than one night to reuse their sheets and towels.

Although this hotel is not in a "quaint" setting, it is set right at the beginning of the Northern and Southern forks of the island, which make exploring both sides (both extremely different) of the island very convenient. Go north for the farmlands and vineyards, so south for the quaint villiages and of course the playground of the rich & famous.

We will be back to Riverhead, and you will find us staying here at the Holiday Inn Express....

• Liked — The comfortable bed, selection of different types of pillows, the shower & customer service
  • Disliked — I think we liked it all!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2008

My friends and I were thinking of going to check out the wineries of the NorthFork area of Long Island for the weekend. I did the research on the B&Bs, hotels, Inns and found that Holiday Inn Express had the right price and location. I also liked that we weren't tied to the 2 nights minimum that most B&B's required. The location is right off of exit 73 - on 495, very easy to find. Not the most scenic of locations - but you have the Tanger Outlet center right around the corner so that was also a plus if you want to shop and enjoy the wineries.

I'd booked the King Suite but turns out that they had no more left so they gave us a discount and set us up in the Double Queen Suite. I always pictured "suites" to be separate living room and bedroom but their version of 'suites' are more studio suites - where you have more space with a sitting area (sofa n coffee table area ) with a little counter space for coffee, microwave, kitchen sink and mini refrigerator. All handy and good to have in general but a regular room costing $20 less may be just as sufficient depending on your needs.

The beds were clean - loved their new policy of taking away the bedspreads. I always feel hotel bedspreads are unwashed and a little scary.. Bathroom had nice countertop, good shower, nice floor tiles. all looked very clean. The image I had of Holiday Inns as a child is completely gone. This could've been the Sheraton or the Hilton and I wouldn't have known the difference in quality. I booked directly with the Holiday Inn's website (/www.ichotelsgroup.com - which I didn't find all that informative about the hotel - so found TripAdvisor to be very helpful).

The continental breakfast was as expected but I liked that they had fresh fruits(apples/Oranges) and mini yogurts. And the dining space was airy with high ceilings. Not much of a view outside - except parking lots and main street full of retail/strip mall but if you drive about a mile off, you hit all the countryside scenes and the wineries so was no issue for us.

All in all a nice stay. Both couples (my friends and us) were all very pleased with the hotel.
Will recommend to others.

• Liked — Convenient Location, nice rooms,
  • Disliked — not the most scenic location
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Holiday Inn Express East End? Share your experiences!