“Good value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fountain View Motel

Fountain View Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Richfield Springs
Fountain View Motel
3607 US 20, Richfield Springs, NY 13439   |
Syracuse, New York
“Good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Motels are pricey during the summer near Cooperstown and this is the best deal in the area. Rooms are clean and large, beds are comfy, chairs outside to enjoy the fresh air. Don't let the dated decor bother you-everything you need is up to date.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

16 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Our fourth stay at the Fountain view.
1. maid service is superb!
2. bed linen & bath towels, wash cloths are white & spotless!
3. Owners are on site & available when required.
4. Wireless Internet is available.

If you are in the Cooperstown area, this is the place to stay!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ballston Spa, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

This was my first visit to the Fountain View, but not my first view of the swans in Richfield Springs. Over the years I've been passing them by for a loooong time!

My sister and I have been annual visits to Glimmerglass Opera for 10 years. We decided to make a change for the motel this year and here is where we landed. Not a bad decision. Very friendly and accommodating management. The rooms were very roomy and clean. Our party of four enjoyed sitting outside and chatting on the nice veranda in the evening. Once inside our rooms we didn't hear anyone else, but in the morning we talked to a couple down the way who wanted--like me-- to unplug the fridge during the night so that I didn't have to hear it go on (and off). every 10 minutes or so.

The main disappointment for me was the shower, which was barely more than a drizzle. I've been in places with water-saving showers before but this was extreme. I'm pretty sure that shampooing and fully rinsing my ear-length, relatively fine hair took just as much water in the long run, but at least twice as long of my time. I'd hate to think how long it would take my future daughter-in-law with long, thick curly hair to wash her hair! Two of my party were staying next
door and had a much better shower--what's up with that?

I hadn't brought my hair dryer, but was graciously offered to me at the front desk.
No breakfast included but I'd rather find my own anyway. The Tally-Ho just down in the street offers a great breakfast selection at a reasonable price.

We'll be back next year for another quiet clean stay at a very reasonable stay anywhere near Cooperstown.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Stayed at the Fountain View many times. Great place. If you’re looking for the Hilton, this ain’t it. However, if you are looking for true Americana, this is a great example. Kind of like stepping back in time a bit and that’s a welcome change. The negative review above was unnecessary. These are hard working people with a nice place. They don’t deserve your unfair assessment. If you didn’t care for your experience, don’t go back. Let others discover this Central NY gem. Keep up the good work Ed!

Summerville, SC

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

This was our third stay at the Fountain View. When we first started attending the Glimmerglass, we stayed at hotels in Cooperstown. What did we get? Expensive rooms, marginal service & noise.

What do we have at the Fountain View? A large clean comfortable room, parking in front of our door, quiet & the maid service is well done. Three minutes from here is a Bank, Drug store, Groceries etc. Italian & Chineese food are available.

The Owner/Operator of the Fountain View is on-site and available to fix any short comings that may turn up.

All in all, the Fountain View is a good value. We will stay here again next year!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
ontario, canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

at this hotel. Based on previous reviews, we gave it a try. I looked briefly at room before taking it, and at a glance, it seemed dated but ok. Once we were settled in, I checked for bedbugs by lifting the corner of the mattress - good news, no bugs! Bad news - no cleaning of box spring either - lots of dust, hair, etc. accumulated there. Something white & crusty on carpet on far side of the bed... the doorknob on the bathroom had no latch... the toilet was not seated properly so it 'rocked'... the shower would not turn off completely so when you turned on the water, you got wet... the sills between the inner & storm windows was filled with dead flies/bugs... the edges of the carpet, next to the wall, were very dirty/dusty... the window A/C unit was very loud & vibrated, making it hard to sleep. But, even though I was uncomfortable about the general lack of cleanliness, the sheets were clean, and it was late, and we'd driven a long way, so we decided to make the best of it for one night. Then the people in the next unit started to party loudly at about 10:30 p.m. Walls must be thin, we could hear every word. This went on til almost 1 a.m., and though we tried a couple of times to call the front desk to request management's assistance, there was no answer. So, in the end, we paid almost a hundred dollars for a night of very little sleep in a room that was poorly cleaned and maintained. I can understand that a small roadside motel in an outlying area like this may not make enough money for all the latest modern updates, but it does not cost much for basic repairs and cleaning to be maintained.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
FountainView1, Owner at Fountain View Motel, responded to this review, July 9, 2011
When this person came to our motel she looked closely at the room before checking in, and had nothing but kind words for it (large clean room, big TV, nice location, beautiful view). Therefore, I am very surprised to see her post this review.

The carpet next to the bed has a small burn spot. It is not anything nasty. Awhile ago, a guest brought an immersion water heater (now we have coffee makers and microwaves). He did not unplug it after taking it out of the water, and it melted onto the carpet. The nylon of the carpet melted, forming a scar, and it hardened a little white. It's not pretty so we put the nightstand on it. If anyone would like to see the "famous scar" it is in room #11.

The bathroom door knob is a "safety knob" where a parent can set the knob so a child cannot lock themself in. The toilet's shim shifted so it moved a little. I did not know of these problems. I wish I had heard of them from her personally. I easily reset the doorknob and adjusted the toilet's shim in less than 3 minutes.

The two window casements in the room were completely clean and the one in the bathrooom had five (5) house flies in it. Sorry.

The box spring is something our housekeepers clean regularly. I found nothing there except very little lint.

The carpet next to the walls is perfect. The Oreck XL (best vacuum ev-er) does a great job on the edges.

The reviewer thinks it is easy to pass her "white-glove" test. In fact, it is a very tough job to do day after day. It is also difficult to find and keep good housekeeping staff. Ours is wonderful and we are truly blessed to have them.

This is a "mom and pop" motel. We live on premises in the house right next to the motel. The doorbell in front of the office alerts me that I am needed and I am usually at the office in about a minute (about 2-3 mins. from a dead sleep). The intercom rings only in the office. The office closes late at night when I go to sleep. The doorbell remains active. If you ring it I'll be right there. Needless to say, the reviewer did not ring it.

Regarding our walls, this is something we are very proud of. They are heavily built in five layers. Very little sound gets through. On the night the reviewer stayed, the couple next door was talking with another couple, but they were not in the room, they were on the porch. It was a nice summer night and they were enjoying a visit with each other. They are older folk that regularly stay with us. They were talking quietly. I have no doubt that the reviewer could hear every word because although her drapes were closed, her windows were wide open. When I closed up around midnight that is what I saw. I knew they had already been out there for some time so I thought that if there was a problem it would have surfaced by then. Since they were being so consierate, I decided not to bother them. I know these people. They are very nice. If the reviewer had asked them, they would have gladly moved away from the motel to the benches on the front lawn. Needless to say, the reviewer did not ask.

Lastly, is the reviewer really complaining that she found a room in this area on Fourth of July weekend for under $100? She thinks we have high rates to make up for a lack of business? That is fantasy. In reality, we are busy because we are amoung the least-expensive in the area. Shop around.

Our family has owned and operated the Fountain View Motel for going on fifty (50) years. We take seriously the comfort of our guests. This is a nice, clean, quiet place in a great location with a great view. We strive to make everyone's stay a pleasant one.

Ed & Pam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2010

Stayed two nights while attending the Glimmerglass Opera. Very clean, quiet and very spacious. We hope to stay there again in 2011. Far better than staying in Cooperstown.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Fountain View Motel? Share your experiences!