“Did not enjoy our stay” 1 of 5 stars

You added Fountain View Motel to your Saves list
Fountain View Motel
3607 US 20, Richfield Springs, NY 13439   |
ontario, canada
“Did not enjoy our stay”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

at this hotel. Based on previous reviews, we gave it a try. I looked briefly at room before taking it, and at a glance, it seemed dated but ok. Once we were settled in, I checked for bedbugs by lifting the corner of the mattress - good news, no bugs! Bad news - no cleaning of box spring either - lots of dust, hair, etc. accumulated there. Something white & crusty on carpet on far side of the bed... the doorknob on the bathroom had no latch... the toilet was not seated properly so it 'rocked'... the shower would not turn off completely so when you turned on the water, you got wet... the sills between the inner & storm windows was filled with dead flies/bugs... the edges of the carpet, next to the wall, were very dirty/dusty... the window A/C unit was very loud & vibrated, making it hard to sleep. But, even though I was uncomfortable about the general lack of cleanliness, the sheets were clean, and it was late, and we'd driven a long way, so we decided to make the best of it for one night. Then the people in the next unit started to party loudly at about 10:30 p.m. Walls must be thin, we could hear every word. This went on til almost 1 a.m., and though we tried a couple of times to call the front desk to request management's assistance, there was no answer. So, in the end, we paid almost a hundred dollars for a night of very little sleep in a room that was poorly cleaned and maintained. I can understand that a small roadside motel in an outlying area like this may not make enough money for all the latest modern updates, but it does not cost much for basic repairs and cleaning to be maintained.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
FountainView1, Owner at Fountain View Motel, responded to this review, July 9, 2011
When this person came to our motel she looked closely at the room before checking in, and had nothing but kind words for it (large clean room, big TV, nice location, beautiful view). Therefore, I am very surprised to see her post this review.

The carpet next to the bed has a small burn spot. It is not anything nasty. Awhile ago, a guest brought an immersion water heater (now we have coffee makers and microwaves). He did not unplug it after taking it out of the water, and it melted onto the carpet. The nylon of the carpet melted, forming a scar, and it hardened a little white. It's not pretty so we put the nightstand on it. If anyone would like to see the "famous scar" it is in room #11.

The bathroom door knob is a "safety knob" where a parent can set the knob so a child cannot lock themself in. The toilet's shim shifted so it moved a little. I did not know of these problems. I wish I had heard of them from her personally. I easily reset the doorknob and adjusted the toilet's shim in less than 3 minutes.

The two window casements in the room were completely clean and the one in the bathrooom had five (5) house flies in it. Sorry.

The box spring is something our housekeepers clean regularly. I found nothing there except very little lint.

The carpet next to the walls is perfect. The Oreck XL (best vacuum ev-er) does a great job on the edges.

The reviewer thinks it is easy to pass her "white-glove" test. In fact, it is a very tough job to do day after day. It is also difficult to find and keep good housekeeping staff. Ours is wonderful and we are truly blessed to have them.

This is a "mom and pop" motel. We live on premises in the house right next to the motel. The doorbell in front of the office alerts me that I am needed and I am usually at the office in about a minute (about 2-3 mins. from a dead sleep). The intercom rings only in the office. The office closes late at night when I go to sleep. The doorbell remains active. If you ring it I'll be right there. Needless to say, the reviewer did not ring it.

Regarding our walls, this is something we are very proud of. They are heavily built in five layers. Very little sound gets through. On the night the reviewer stayed, the couple next door was talking with another couple, but they were not in the room, they were on the porch. It was a nice summer night and they were enjoying a visit with each other. They are older folk that regularly stay with us. They were talking quietly. I have no doubt that the reviewer could hear every word because although her drapes were closed, her windows were wide open. When I closed up around midnight that is what I saw. I knew they had already been out there for some time so I thought that if there was a problem it would have surfaced by then. Since they were being so consierate, I decided not to bother them. I know these people. They are very nice. If the reviewer had asked them, they would have gladly moved away from the motel to the benches on the front lawn. Needless to say, the reviewer did not ask.

Lastly, is the reviewer really complaining that she found a room in this area on Fourth of July weekend for under $100? She thinks we have high rates to make up for a lack of business? That is fantasy. In reality, we are busy because we are amoung the least-expensive in the area. Shop around.

Our family has owned and operated the Fountain View Motel for going on fifty (50) years. We take seriously the comfort of our guests. This is a nice, clean, quiet place in a great location with a great view. We strive to make everyone's stay a pleasant one.

Ed & Pam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Hot Springs, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2010

Stayed two nights while attending the Glimmerglass Opera. Very clean, quiet and very spacious. We hope to stay there again in 2011. Far better than staying in Cooperstown.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

This 1960's vintage motel should blow your socks off. Sixteen units in a row - parking at your door makes it easy to move-in and move-out. this facility has been renovated recently in a most professional manner and of particular note is the cleanliness - second to none. check-in was prompt and courtious - foldaway bed added in 5 minutes. Small refrig is included. No swimming pool, vending machines or breakfast, etc. Basic, but excellent in all manner. Would return here whenever possible - completely opposite from the standard mega-motel mold. Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

Friends and I were headed for the Glimmerglass Opera. Hotels and inns in Cooperstown seemed pretty pricey so we opted for this motel about 14 miles north. Great deal - clean, comfortable. The decor might be a bit on the old side, but if you just want a decent place to rest your head at night, this is a good deal. Free parking, but no extras such as breakfast, pool, etc.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Frenchtown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

This is a great place to stay! It is right on Route 20, which is a quiet but main road. This is not a huge motel, maybe 10 or so rooms. My sister was also in the area at the same time, in a rented cottage by a lake. My room at the Fountain View was larger than her living room/dining room, and my bed was bigger and way more comfortable. The room was huge, had a microwave and a refrigerator, a 3 foot round table with chairs in front of the window (which had a view of the lake and fountain across the road), as well as a desk, mirror, and generous closet area. The bathroom had blue and pink tiles like the 50's, and was spotless! The shower was just like one you'd find at home. For just one of me, there were 2 sets of towels. The TV had a nice big screen and at least 40 of the popular cable channels. There was an A/C in the wall, but I didn't need it as it was a cool 4th of July. The bed sheets and covers were clean, and there were 2 big pillows. The floor was carpeted with flat, not shaggy, carpet and was clean. As I was traveling alone, I was happy to see an extra dead bolt lock. My room had a pass through door, so I imagine that families could get adjoining roomsI stayed 2 nights and then decided to stay for a third as well. The management came in and cleaned the room while I was out during the day. I didn't expect this and it was a nice touch. New towels, floor vacuumed, and the bed made up nice and crisp. This is the traditional motel: Your door opens into the parking lot, and you park in front of your room. There are two plastic arm chairs beside your door, and you can sit and look at the fountain which is lit up in colors at night. There are two very realistic carved swans that float in the little lake. If you watch them long enough, you'll swear they moved! Down Route 20 to the west is a great chain supermarket called The Price Chopper, and they have everything. Be sure to get one of their customer cards in order to get the posted sale prices. (They also have fresh baked bread!) This is how I saved a lot of money: bought food there and used the room's microwave and fridge. Even further down the road that direction is a wonderful vet, Dr. Links, who has weekend hours. (My sister's dog got a sudden tooth abcess and he treated him- fair price and compassionate.) There is also a great "antique" store on the same road in the center of Richfield Springs that has everything a collector or reminiscer would want. You are about 20 minutes from Cooperstown here, and that is a nice place to visit, shop, eat, and go to the Glimmerglass Opera. Finally, the website is very accurate with the photos and prices, so you should take a look at it. http://www.cooperstown.net/fountainview/ With the exception of the TV, DVD/CD player, it is very retro, so if you're into glitz and room service, this is not for you. (For example, the bathroom has Breck shampoo and soap, but no conditioner, no shower cap, and no hair dryer.) If you just want a roomy, comfortable, CLEAN place to stay that won't cost an arm and a leg, this is the place for you and your family.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo

Been to Fountain View Motel? Share your experiences!