“One of the Best B&B's I've stayed in............” 5 of 5 stars
Review of WhistleWood Farm Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rhinebeck
WhistleWood Farm Bed and Breakfast
You added WhistleWood Farm Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
52 Pells Road, Rhinebeck, NY 12572   |
Ranked #2 of 16 Rhinebeck B&B and Inns
“One of the Best B&B's I've stayed in............”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

We arrived late Friday night, it was dark but glad we found our accomodation for the weekend. Maggie the Innkeeper greeted us with warmth and alot of local knowledge. We had rented the Northwind in the adjacent Carriage house. Maggie walked us down and gave us a detailed tour of the room, kitchen and bathroom.
It was well furnished, king size bed and jazuzzi tub. Everything you need to relax. It wasn't until the morning when you truly appreciate the beauty of the Hudson Valley. THe sprawling 40 acre farm with horses, chickens and a donkey gave a sense that we were truly away. THe country breakfast made by Maggie herself was one of the highlights and got the stay off on the right foot. We would recommend this to anyone who with a short drive north can relax and get away from city life.
One other perk was it's a short 15 min drive to Millbrook Winery - a must stop for anyone who enjoys a drop of the grape!!

Room Tip: Carriage house is super quiet.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Scarsdale, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

That could be because Maggie gets her eggs right from the chickens she has on her farm. The place is beautiful, and Maggie certainly tries to be the best hostess possible and will make sure that you are never hungry. The horses are gorgeous. The farm is about a 5 minute drive from the main business area in Rhinebeck so it's very convenient. I am not sure it warrants the high price tag - the room was lovely for the most part, but the bathroom was very outdated and poorly lit. I happen to love a really nice bathroom in a B&B or hotel so this was a particular sore spot for me, but on the other hand it must be quite expensive to run and maintain a farm that large. It really is a labor of love for Maggie.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Wyoming room, which is right off the kitchen. If you are a late sleeper, or want to...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
whistle2, Owner at WhistleWood Farm Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 5, 2012
Thank you for your constructive criticism of the Wyoming room, and of the my farm, I do appreciate your time and attention to detail.
Please be assured that the bathroom has just been newly tiled and grouted, the ceiling freshly painted a light blue and even the energy saving bulbs have been replaced by 100 watt'ers for better lighting and a new ceiling fan installed as well.
Last spring the rooms on the other side of the lodge were redone, updated and decorated. . More sound proofing was installed.as well. Now it is time again for the Wyoming room to be refurbished. I apologise for not getting to it in late January before you folks arrived.
I have also purchased a new drappery rod, that hangs from the ceiling, hung it in the hallway in the room, which should baffel the sounds possible from the livelly conversations of the guests who on occasion are a little loud in the mornings. I do ask folks to be mindful of others sleeping but sometimes they are having to much fun. I'm sorry this was the case that Sunday.
The chickens are most happy that you like their eggs as I am. This June the new north pastures will be the home to a few Llamas and Alpacas and some sheep that belong to our neighbors, Fiddlehead Farm. I do hope that you will try us again when you are in the area.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

My boyfriend and I spent New Year's Eve 2012 at WhistleWood, and we had a fantastic time! The grounds were lovely, our room was quaint and well-appointed, the inn was cozy and charming, the breakfast was delicious, and innkeeper Maggie was an all-around accommodating, kind, and generous hostess. The town of Rhinebeck was a quick jaunt down the road. We're already planning our return trip!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Happy New Year to You too! Thank you so very much for your support and kind remarks it's just great to have Happy Guests who write positive reviews. I could not have had as great a weekend without great guest to make it all come together. Looking forward to seeing you again.

PS the back pasture is almost done and the Llamas, Alpacas and sheep are coming in for their summer pasture. The North Woods trail is marked and a new bench has been made. Check it out on our facebook page.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

My husband and I visited Whistlewood in August 2011, and when it came time to decide what we would do for his birthday (which coincides with Christmas Eve) it was a easy decision to return to Whistlewood. The property (almost 40 acres) is a lovely working farm that boards 12 horses. As Manhattanites, escaping to Maggie Meyer's B&B and farm is a real treat that allows us to feel like we are truly "in the country." Walking around breathing in the air just feels healthy! Maggie welcomed us with open arms, x-mas cookies (and a selection of pies) and a well-curated choice of DVD's for our birthday/holiday celebration. We returned to our favorite suite in the Carriage House, which always feel spacious and rustic compared to the "Concrete Jungle." It was fun to see what changes Maggie had made to some of the rooms and my favorite decorative touches are the canoes. Maggie is a thoughtful and gracious hostess, and gave us just the right amount of guidance/personal space. Best of all, she sent us home with a dozen fresh eggs from the farm. What a generous gesture! THANK YOU MAGGIE! See you again soon!

Room Tip: The carriage house is private and great for "romantic getaways!"
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Wow, that was a great write up. I am almost speechless and don't know what to say except Thank You sooooooo very much. My return guests are my biggest compliment. I promise to try my best to live up to your review in the future as well. I hope I can.
We are now painting and fixing the little things that are always in need of a touch up. The Wyoming room is getting a face lift as well, new tile in the bath too.
Also the back pasture is done now and the grass will be seeded as soon as possible to make a new summer pasture for the Llamas, Alpacas and Sheep with their lambs. They are from Fiddlehead Farm our neighbors to the north. Our woodland trail is done and being groomed for walking around the entire pasture and down to the pond.
Looking forward to seeing you again. Maggie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

Even in mid-December, the farm was beautiful. Maggie was a warm, gracious, efficient hostess, with being intrusive. My friend and I stayed in the Wyoming room and loved it. Very quiet, beautiful appointed, very comfy beds and sofas and chairs and wonderful fireplace. We arrived just before Christmas, so the lodge was decorated for the holiday and Maggie baked wonderful Christmas butter cookies. She was also helpful with things to see in the area and suggested some great restaurants. I'm a city girl, want to make Whistle Wood my quiet, rural retreat in the future...

Room Tip: All the rooms are quiet, very clean, and beautifully appointed. Some have large showers, no bathtub...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

We've been using Whistlewood as our country escape from Philadelphia for many years now. I'm delighted to say that the environment, very much the unique product off Maggie Meyer's character and loves (Horses and ample, good, simple food), remains the same, hence this re-review. We've slept in three different rooms (Sweet Violet, Carriage House, and now Wyoming) and loved them all.

The location is atop a ridge three miles east of all the good food in Rhinebeck. Maggie boards horses along with her own, but one cannot ride. Nonetheless the horse atmosphere (complete with donkey companion) pervades the establishment. At one point she had a bumper sticker on her care "call my shrink, I bought another horse." There's a flock of handsome chickens, too, that recycle the food preparation scraps - my wife delivered it delightedly last weekend.

The beds are comfortable, the linens first rate, the decorations unique (my favorite is the varnished canoe upside down in the Wyoming room). The breakfasts make no pretense at fanciness, but are endlessly delicious - and always a problem because I have to eat tow more fresh cranberry muffins or buttermilk pancakes or french toast slices than I really need.

Room Tip: Wyoming is our current favorite (and most expensive). The carriage house is very nice in summer, bu...
teaneck
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

We stayed in a Carriage house room not long ago that was truely on a horse farm. The room was well appointed but nothing special, in our opinion. The breakfasts were good but again nothing special. Of the 20+ B&B's we have stayed at the bountiful breakfasts with big tasty muffins, special pancakes (blueberry, strawberry,etc.) and breads were absent. Though this was not a large B&B, I would guess it accommodated 20 guest, the lack "special" breakfasts was disappointing. While I am not a very good cook but when I put my mind to it I can whip up a similar breakfast in 30 minutes.
Now for the "edge" of the Innkeeper. I am not sure why when we requested that she might make us reservations in an "in demand" restaurant she seemed to think it was an imposition. Further, when she made the reservation and wanted to contact us to let us know it was made instead of slipping a note under the door or lefy a note on the door she knocked and said we had not answered our phone so she came down.We had two or three similar attitude encounters which surprised and dissapointed us.
Maybe she had a bad 2 days but at $250/night plus tax she should have all good days or have someone with her who does.

Room Tip: The carriage house rooms are nice but did not stay in main house. The fact that pets are alloswed is...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
whistle2, Owner at WhistleWood Farm Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, December 10, 2011
I apologise for the innkeeper not making your weekend a pleasant one, We try to advise and help guests have a good experience and accomodate each one as best we can.
Pertaining to reservations for dinner: some restaurants in town do not take reservations for one or two people so perhaps that was one of the restaurants you chose. Upon making a reservaton we feel if is our responsiblity to get the guest the information they requested, if you don't answer the phone it seems that you might not get the information so a knock on the door pertaining to the reservations time is important or you could have missed the dinner hour, and that would have messed up the restaurants evening as well as yours. We try to consider all involved.
Breakfasts: We try to have local, fresh items for our guests to eat, We are very sorry that you did not find this to be case, which should not be. The cakes and pies are usually plentiful and should be fresh.
I wish I could do somthing to make your thoughts of the farm more pleasing, please feel free to contact us if you would like to and perhaps try us again at another time so we can compensate for your unfortunate experience.

Been to WhistleWood Farm Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!