“Quality and history” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
“Quality and history”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Although a quick Internet search disproves their assertion "Oldest Inn in the United States," this place certainly deserves its place in colonial history and current recognition for fine establishment. My wife and I were pleased with both of our dishes, the salmon salad and trout salad, although I though my trout could have been made with more finesse and accompanied salad could have had more dressing. Each of our ordered wine glasses with the brunch were tasty: mine was expected from Herman J. Weiman Reisling from the finger lakes region in NY, but also my lady's champagne turned out fine for the price point. We ate in the sun room which had the cleanest windows ever- and I thought we were dining in the open air. Our young servers were attentive. The meat of the place had rather low ceiling beams, but not terribly so, and i noticed they had a picture showing that the Clinton's dined there August 2008. We recommend it. Sorry I wasn't able to tke pictures... Especially because we were in town on such a beautiful day.

Sparta, New Jersey
“Classic Historic Venue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

If you are in the Rhinebeck area and have never stopped here for drinks, appetizers or a meal, I suggest you plan a visit. Step back in time to a dimly light bar room with low beam ceilings and imagine yourself planning to battle the British in the 18th century. My visit was just for drinks and appetizers but I wound up staying for about 2 hours. The atmosphere was mesmerizing. My favorite of the appetizers was called devils on horseback. It was a fig wrapped in blue cheese surrounded with bacon and served over a light balsamic reduction. It was delicious as the flavors worked together very well. The serving consisted of 5 pieces. The service was fine and the atmosphere is excellent. Next time I'll stop in for a full meal.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
NH
“Romantic Greenhouse Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

After a botched start to the evening in another historic inn in Stone Ridge, we traveled across the river to this friendly and inviting historic inn in Rhinebeck. The differences were like night and day, and we congratulated ourselves for escaping the filthy and rude daycare center masquerading as a fine restaurant in Stone Ridge.

The staff at the Beekman Arms greeted us promptly and courteously, and asked where we preferred to sit. Our choices were the tavern, the dining room, or the greenhouse. We chose the greenhouse and were led to a secluded table where we were able to peacefully enjoy our delicious meal, served by a well trained and friendly staff.

We noted the prices at the Beekman Arms were $8.00 to $10.00 less than similar items at the unfriendly restaurant we walked out of earlier in the evening.

I chose to start the meal with the pear salad with blue cheese crumbles, crispy bacon, toasted walnuts and balsamic dressing. I ordered the lamb porterhouse chop, which consisted of grilled twin cut chop with cranberry relish, balsamic and raspberry reduction served with roasted butternut squash. My husband ordered the house potato gnocchi which was served with blistered tomatoes and seared chicken. Normally the gnocchi is served with basil pesto cream sauce, but he asked if a marinara sauce could be substituted in place of the cream sauce, and the server and chef were more than happy to accommodate his request. Although the dessert menu was tempting, we did not order dessert. We were pleased with the service, before, during and after the meal; the servers were prompt in tending to our every need.

Having lived the Hudson Valley twenty years, I frequented the Beekman Arms, and this trip down memory lane did not disappoint. There is a reason this is the oldest operating inn in America, and if experiences like ours are an indication, it should last at least another several hundred years.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
grand rapids, michigan
“So historic...oldest American tavern”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Neat to eat somewhere where revolutionary soldiers stayed. The ceilings are low and beamed...old wood and brick walls...big old fireplace. Great atmosphere and the the food was also great. We were the only table eating in the tavern at the time 4:00, so service was fine and food was served promptly. We had shrimp, lobster crepes and Caesar salads...all perfect.

Visited September 2012
Salem, Massachusetts
“Eating in History”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Staff is very welcoming especially the older gentlemen I think is the owner or manager. He helped my grandfather who is a disabled Marine Colonel while my sister and I walked around the amazing little town with more shops than you can handle. I've eaten here over five times and the best spot is outside in the "glass porch" area which you can see everything outside including the amazing plants and flowers around the Inn. To top it off George Washington has been here, Its the oldest Inn in America, and Chelsea Clinton was married in Rhinebeck. Check out the Aerodrome and take a plane ride its insane.

• Visited August 2012