“The Chicken tasted like a 'mouse pad'” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Niagara Falls, New York
“The Chicken tasted like a 'mouse pad'”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

A most awful experience. I ordered the Chicken and Biscuit entree which came swimming in 3/4 of and inch of water soaking the biscuits to a fair thee well. The Chicken tasted like a 'mouse pad', now I have never eaten a mousepad but I can imagine that one would taste the same as this...the wait staff all were congrgating near the bar complaining about schedules and I could not get anyone attention in order to get a' clean ' fork so I took one off an empty table....there is no connection between the server and the customer and even at that I left a larger than usual tip as I vowed NEVER
to dine at this dump again....FEH an old Yiddish word meaning AARRRGGGHHHH an expression used in the comic books to show disgust...Stay away !

• Visited July 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

LaGrangeville, New York
“Excellent service Great menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

Family fun place for all ages . Best food in town. Very up to date menu and great value . You will not be dissapointed at this place! Decor is simple but very retro diner with an authentic 1930's soda fountain.

• Visited May 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Goode, Virginia
“Same plusses and minuses as their original Hyde Park location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

Eveready started as a single restaurant in Hyde Park. They've since expanded into Brewster (which I haven't visited) and now Rhinebeck. This particular location was previously Rolling Rock, Double-O and Mazza, so it's one of those spots that can't seem to keep a restaurant despite the prime route 9 location and somewhat of a tourist destination. My wife and I visited the new restaurant, and it was deja-vu all over again.

The menu looks to be identical to Hyde Park, which is a plus as the food is always the main reason for going. The service, as is the case often in Hyde Park, was adequate but a bit surly. I hate feeling like I'm inconveniencing a waiter or waitress, but that happens too often at Eveready (we've walked out twice), and at least for this first visit, the tradition is continuing in Rhinebeck.

I also have a pet-peeve about their Stardust Burger, which is served on an English Muffin. In Hyde Park, if I ask for the muffin to be toasted, I always get the snide "it comes toasted" remark. If I don't ask for it to be toasted, it comes out un-toasted EVERY TIME. That tradition also seems to have migrated north to Rhinebeck.

It did seem odd to me that not much re-modeling was done to transform this place into the diner experience. It looks much like the old Mazza restaurant with a diner menu. If you want a true diner feel, head to Pete's Famous in the center of Rhinebeck, or the original Eveready in Hyde Park about 15 minutes south on route 9.

• Visited June 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Escondido, California
“The food was great, the service was HORRIBLE!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

The food was excellent, but unfortunately with service as bad as they provided it just ruined the experience for us. The waitress was so busy chatting with her other waitress friends that she had no time to help us. We had to wait and ask several times for silverware, water, even our bread and salads. She brought out our main dishes before the bread and salad and silverware. That left me sitting around while my food got cold waiting to be able to eat it. Every time I asked for something she made it clear through her attitude that she was annoyed and bothered by the request.

The food was excellent but really hard to enjoy under these circumstances. We won't be going back again until they fix this!

Visited June 2011