“Rip Off!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Veranda House

The Veranda House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rhinebeck
The Veranda House
You added The Veranda House to your Saves list
Rhinebeck, NY 12572   |
Ranked #6 of 16 Rhinebeck B&B and Inns
New York
“Rip Off!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

My Boyfriend and I stayed at a different B & B for Friday and Saturday night and decided on Saturday that we wanted to stay until Monday. Unfortunately the Inn we were at had no vacancy but we were told that The Veranda was a great place to go. We called Yvonne and were told she had one room left and it would cost $190.00 for the night. While I considered that a little pricey I did realize that it was Labor Day weekend and we didn’t really have a choice.

We were told that check in was between 3 and 6. We showed up at about 4:30 and after ringing the bell several times were finally “greeted” by Yvonne. We were showed our room were told breakfast was at 8:30 and that was it! We were never showed the parlor and it was not until I came home and read this site did I realize that we had the option of relaxing in there with a drink.

Our room was on the first floor adjacent to the kitchen and dining room. We were not happy about the location but Yvonne assured us that it would be quiet. We were also quite appalled by the size of the bathroom. It was absolutely impossible. It was clean though, but considering it was the size of a fridge that is no big feat!!

Once we got settled we decided to try and take a nap before we had to get ready for dinner. We were lied to by Yvonne. She had guests over and between the slamming of the backdoor (which was right beside our window - not to mention that we had to close the drapes or anyone could look in) and the loud conversation going on in the kitchen any rest was impossible.

Breakfast was ridiculous. We came out at about 8:40 and noticed that everyone was pretty much waiting for our arrival. There was tea and coffee on the table along with some cake We were not told what was coffee, etc.. it was just there. Soon thereafter glasses of juice were brought out (we were not offered refills when we finished our glass). We were then each given a cup of fruit which was ok. Then came the main course. Some kind of heavy pudding looking thing with a blueberry sauce on top. Upon asking what it was we were told “a breakfast casserole”. I like to know what is in the food I’m eating. Needless to say I did not eat it and everyone at the table pretty much agreed that it was too sweet and would have rather had something else. Yvonne did not seem to care or notice that everyone pretty left over most of the dish.

So, no. I would NEVER recommend this place. I don’t mind spending $213.00 ($190.00 + tax) on a room but I do expect better.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Douglaston NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

We were totally enchanted with the romantic ambiance of this old Victorian home. The breakfast was formal: china, crystal, silver, lace. The other guests were warm and amiable, and the proprietess was quiet but friendly if you took the time to look past the British reserve! It was IMMACULATE. I felt no need to wear my flip flops in the shower! The rooms were well appointed, down to Olay Regtenerist face cream in the bathroom, and chocolates on the dresser. The location was unbeatable. We did not take our car out once in four days. Restaurants were unbelievable. Booked a room for next years Arts and Crafts Festival. Enjoy!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
New york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

I just stayed at this inn last weekend with my boyfriend. The inn has a great location within walking distance of the town and Haven spa. The rooms are cute with modern bathrooms. The house even has a separate room where you can sit and read and watch TV. It was a great stay except Yvonne the inn keeper was so hostile. It seemed like we were doing her a terrible inconvenience by staying at her house. She made us feel a little awkward when we made small requests or even asked her where things were located in town. On top of it, her breakfast is terrible. Poor quality ingredients, she does one sitting for breakfast and pretty much thrusts the food upon you without even explaining what it is. The main course was a blueberry mess covered in syrup. She will also bustle you out in the morning, breakfast was at 9 am by 10 the maid had already come twice asking if we could vacate.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sandusky, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2007

I stayed at Veranda House 8-22 to 8-27-07 while attending a conference at Omega Institute. Immediately upon entering the house, I felt at home. Very welcoming, cozy and yes, very clean. The house is decorated very comfortably with a combination of antiques and casual furniture. Yvonne is a very warm and caring hostess. She has a lovely British sensitivity yet with the friendliness and openenss we appreciate as Americans.

My room was on the first floor and very comfortable. The bed was firm and with nice linens. Towels in the small but clean bathroom were plush, thick and absorbant. The breakfasts were gourmet and varied. Yvonne is an excellent cook as well. Traffic on the road outside was a bit heavy during my stay but this was due to the Dutchess County Fair taking place this year but inside, Veranda house was quiet, peaceful and pleasantly air-conditioned - very welcome given the muggy weather outside.

Veranda House is a good value for this quaint, somewhat pricey town of Rhinebeck, NY. I stayed at a larger hotel complex down the road in years past but no comparison in my book. The rooms there were the same price but were very average and somewhat tacky - eg. polyester throw-rugs in the bathroom and one room I encountered had a foul smell. The breakfasts there were continental, very mundane, and not very nutritious - cheap English muffins, OJ and sugary cereals. Very disappointing and in my book, inedible.

Clearly Veranda House will be my new home when staying in Rhinebeck. I highly recommend it.

• Liked — Comfort, location and hospitality.
  • Disliked — No dislikes.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Manhattan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2007

This is the first time I have submitted a review to Trip Advisor, but I was so surprised to see negative reviews of Veranda House, that I felt compelled to respond. I live in Manhattan and have visited Rhinebeck with my husband a couple of times a year for the past 10 years, mostly for the Dutchess County Fair and during fall foliage season.

Early on, we stayed at the Holiday Inn in Kingston. But about 5 years ago, we discovered Veranda House and now consider it our second home. The B&B is charming, beautifully maintained and very centrally located, a short walk to the center of town, shops and great restaurants. The proprietress, Yvonne, takes care to inquire as to the food preferences of her guests even before their arrival. The comfortable Queen bed is made with beautiful sheets and there are comfy towels in the bathroom with the usual complement of toiletries. Although there was no sewing kit, I asked if I could borrow one to mend a torn fanny pack, and one was produced instantly with choice of needles and spools of thread.

Breakfast is always plentiful and delicious (coffee, OJ, fresh fruit salad, a home-baked cake, and THEN a daily main course such as french toast, blintzes or quiche with garden-fresh cherry tomatoes, carmelized in olive oil and thyme). Yvonne offers guests extra baked goods to take with them. Over the years, we've seen many repeat customers.

There is a living room adjoining the dining room and a parlor with TV, lots of current magazines, books (also in the bedrooms), individual bottles of water and a smattering of wines and spirits.

I've recommended Veranda House to many friends - and now to you!

• Liked — charming room and yummy breakfast
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
hana527
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2007

As we live in Rhinebeck, we had often passed The Veranda House.
We were planning our Wedding, an informal affair, and intended to marry in Woodstock, NY in two months. We walked the two blocks over to The Veranda House knowing nothing except the excellent reputation of the previous owners. We were both disappointed with the Innkeepers 'reserved', almost unfriendly attitude. But we went ahead and asked her what she thought we needed to know (since we had no brochure) and then booked 3 rooms for guests from out of town. We gave her a check for the correct amount. What could go wrong with a neighbor???

Two weeks later, we found out that my fiance was going to need open heart surgery. I called the inkeeper up to tell her we needed to change our Wedding plans/dates and she was VERY surly and unpleasant. She told me she would be keeping 20%. Now, I probably should have been expecting this. but I had much more serious matters on my mind, I told her I didn't think this was fair since I had booked only 2 weeks prior. She told me to look at her brochure. I told her we didn't have one! She hadn't given us one when we were there. Then she told me it was policy.

Ok. Then I asked her to reconsider considering our circumstances. She finally agreed. A week went by and I received a check for our deposit in the mail MINUS the 20%. I tried calling her multiple times to ask her for the other 20%. Once she said it was an oversight and I'd get the check. When I didn't get it, I called back but whenever I identified myself, she made excuses to not speak to me.

Life gets pretty busy, especially when you are facing life threatening conditions. I let it go.

Yes, we're married now - tomorrow is our one year anniversary!
So all went well. When we rescheduled our, we DID NOT call the Veranda House.

I'm not really upset about the 20%. That is the usual policy in most places. I DO OBJECT to the nastiness of the innkeeper, to her refusal to take my calls and to her lying to me about returning the money.

Please know that Rhinebeck is a wonderful place. Just check reviews such as on this website before booking lodging. And go with your instincts!

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2007

I only wished I'd read the reviews on this property before I booked my stay at The Veranda House. I completely second the opinion of the post complaining about the innkeeper.

My parents were visiting me in NYC from out of the country, and as my dad isn't a fan of bustling cities in general, I decided to take them out on the weekend trip to the Hudson River Valley. So I booked two rooms at The Veranda House for our weekend getaway. Anyways, due to a change in schedule on my parents' part, we couldn't do the weekend trip anymore so I called to cancel my reservation as soon as I found out from my parents (approx. two and a half weeks before the booked weekend). When the innkeeper found out I was cancelling my reservation, she became very upset and not only told me off about how rude I was for cancelling, as she'd received other reservation requests on the rooms I'd booked, but continued on to insult my character. After taking a deep breath because I was so shocked, I found out she'd actually hung up the phone on me. Needless to say, I wasn't sure if the cancellation was confirmed and not wanting anymore misunderstanding, I called back to confirm the cancellation. This time, the innkeeper bluntly told me that she didn't want to talk to me. After a few more curt words where I confirmed the cancellation and managed to keep my composure, she hung up on me again. Although I didn't stay at the property, I have never come across more rude treatment from someone who works in the hospitality industry. Her treatment was so shocking and horrific that I will never consider staying at this property the next time I visit the Hudson River Valley.

There are much nicer B&Bs in the region with delightful hosts, so PLEASE don't waste your time and stay somewhere else! Btw, Rhinebeck is a lovely town...quaint farmers market and antique shops (have visited before).

• Disliked — Innkeeper is the rudest person possible.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
bigthyme5, personal assistant at The Veranda House, responded to this review, May 17, 2007
At the time of this unfortunate misunderstanding, the owner had just undergone a shoulder surgery ( in Feb. )and a knee surgery ( in March) and was still trying to run the inn and not turn down any reservations that had already been made. As it turned out she ended up back in the hospital on 4/6 for 10 days with heart problems. So, had you not cancelled the reservation you would have been called by me and told we could not accomedate you. As stipulated in our website about cancellations, she could have charged you a 20% fee, but she did not . I understand that this is a business but, everyone has a bad day sometimes.

Been to The Veranda House? Share your experiences!