“Yuck - terrible food - service is the only redeeming part” 2 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
An Apple a Day Diner
7329 S Broadway, Red Hook, NY 12571-1640 (Formerly Sweet Lou's Diner)
845-758-5000
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
Goode, Virginia
“Yuck - terrible food - service is the only redeeming part”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

All I can say is wow. My wife and I first visited this place about two years ago and liked it a lot, but since we're not in Red Hook often, this was our first re-visit, and it has gone downhill quite a bit. There was only one other party in the place despite it being 7:00 pm on a Friday night. That should have been our first clue to head for the hills, but based on our previous experience, we stayed.

I ordered a meatloaf sandwich and macaroni salad. My wife ordered nachos. The meatloaf was dry and had zero flavor. The macaroni salad tasted like pure vinegar, and the nachos, which I tried, were terrible. Three strikes and you're out. We won't be returning. I can't help but wonder if the Eveready Diner which opened recently down the street on route 9 has hurt this place. Whatever the reason, stay away. The only reason I didn't give a one-star review is that our waitress was very nice and professional.

• Visited March 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

New York
“Average diner food and service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Another average diner in a strip mall environment. Yahoo.

Visited February 2011
hudson valley, new york
“Great healthy food for a nice price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

This was our first time here. We had a coupon for $7 off from the Entertainment book and we always like to save $ when we can. The selection was ample with good prices. This is not a greasy diner- type place, but rather more like a cafe. The portions were nicely sized. I had a vegeterian wrap with sweet potatoe fries and my husband had a pannini with beef and vegetables. Overall, a nce meal! We will be back, the coupon was a good way to get us in to give them a try.

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
St Petersburg, Fl
“A winner in Red Hook”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

While staying at the RED HOOK INN we were recommended by our Hostess PAT to the APPLE A DAY DINER a mile south on Route 9. My better half was not particularly hungary so just ordered an appetizer salad. When it arrived it was so large she asked me to help --- it was huge and delicious.

My dinner was great also. We loved the place, which is family owned and operated
and recommend it-----right on Rt ( between Rhinebeck and Red Hook.

PAT also recommended the HOLY COW ICE CREAM joint which was a little further south and on the east side ----standing room only. A two scoop home made strawberry ice cream cone for $1.60 or 1.70. Quick service although the place was jumping. Excellent.

• Visited July 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
ninomaverick
“New Owners”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2008

IT is no longer Sweet Lou's, it is now An Apple a Day Diner and the food is excellent. I have been there a whole bunch of times and the food is always fresh and they offer so many healthy choices like salad instead of fries. THey have some many different things on their menu I don't get sick of the food!!!!!!!!!!!