“Are They Kidding Me?” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Dutchess

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Red Hook
Grand Dutchess
You added Grand Dutchess to your Saves list
7571 Old Post Road, Red Hook, NY 12571   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Red Hook B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Are They Kidding Me?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We had planned to stay at The Grand Dutchess for three nights but checked out after one night and one night was one too many. We were informed that the key given to us was for the front door only as the guest rooms did not lock. How is that acceptable for anyone traveling alone or with valuables? The owner joked that everything had been quiet since the last murder which was amusing but did not mitigate the minimum security requirement for anyone rooming with strangers. And speaking of the owner, he should get his foot condition medically attended to or wear shoes and socks.
The room (or suite as it was referred to - a bedroom and a room with a sofa bed) was less than mediocre. It was dingy and depressing. The bedspread was frayed and the bulb on night table lamp toppled over to expose raw wires when we tried to turn the lamp on. The room seemed reasonably clean but not spotless nor was the front porch. The breakfast consisted of pancakes and unappetizing sausage. For $195 a night, it needs to be a lot better.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Stony Brook, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Inn with friends that we frequently travel with. We love to stay at B&B's to get a real flavor of the area, and have always met such lovely people. Although the town of Redhook is delightful, our stay at the Inn was so "disappointing " that I felt compelled to write a review stating our opinions.

I can overlook the average quality of the rooms, but not the poor quality of their towels, holes in the sheet rock by the sink, or the gaps in the windows screens that allowed the bugs in. Although the room, and Inn has lovely architectural detail to it, sadly both the interior and exterior suffer from deterioration, and lack of maintenance. I can overlook the uncomfortable seating in the parlor and odd decor, but not the dirt and neglect on the front porch. It was particularly odd that after we passed one of the Innkeepers sitting out there earlier in the day, we had all thought it would be a great place to find a comfortable seat finally, but found it neither swept free of debris, nor the cushions brushed clean to welcome the guests to sit.

At breakfast one found a lovely looking table, but no "killer breakfast" as promised in their brochure. The young wait staff was very pleasant, but dressed in a very unprofessional manor for an Inn claiming to be so grand. We were served some sliced unripe strawberries, poorly cooked miniature corn fritters (really? a dinner appetizer for breakfast?), and coffee. On the table were 4 boxes of miniature cereal for the 6 of us that were seated, and a container of what we all thought may have been a poor version of granola. Needless to say, we ate at the diner down the road the next morning to get a real "killer breakfast" for a most reasonable price.

However, out of all the disappointments from our stay, none was as bad at the verbal insult I was subjected to when Harold (the innkeeper) brashly said that "woman should not be attorneys". It is obvious that he is the only person impressed with what he used to do, as he bored us all with a loquacious story of a case he won against a female prosecutor. If one has such a chauvinistic viewpoint in today's day and age, one should know better than to broadcast their ignorance, let alone insult paying customers who did not feel the need to brag about what they all do for a living.

The poor quality of the breakfast, room and house, I could overlook, and would never have taken the time to write a review as such. However when I checked out, I had to tell Beth (the Inn keepers wife) how offended I was by her husbands comments and why we would never return because of it. Although she was very apologetic, no concession was offered off of the $195 per night room rate....guess the insults are free of charge.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Red Hook hotels

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

I stayed at the Grand Dutchess B&B for two nights in early July 2011 and had a wonderful experience. I am shocked by some of the reviews that say that the house was 'cluttered, dusty, bad service, etc' because I did not have any of those issues. In fact, the owner was a delight, very friendly; my room was very nice and the bed more comfortable than my own at home! Also, the breakfast I was served was delicious! My room was cleaned up while I was out during my 2nd day there and I was happy to come back to a clean room. They even turned the air conditioner on for me (as I forgot to when I left in the morning), so the room was nice and cool when I got back to the B&B later that day. My room was not dusty, and neither were the common areas. So, in short, I disagree with the last review strongly and I think that maybe they were confused and meant to write that review for some other B&B. To sum up, I loved my stay at the Grand Dutchess and recommend it to anyone who wants a hospitable and peaceful atmosphere to stay in.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I agree with the last post here - lots of tacky, dusty Victorian nick nacks everywhere. Junky overall. Owners should have a yard sale and clean up. No maid service.

Stay at a hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2010

My wife and I stayed here for one night in May. The building is a three story victorian and we had a room on the top floor. The entire house is nicely decorated to give you that "back in time" feeling. Little touches are everywhere. The owners were very accommodating with our reservations and our check in. Our room was nice sized with a nice sized private bath. My experience with some B&B's is taht the rooms are too small. Not here. The bed was pretty comfortable too. Breakfast was good. The OJ seemed fresh squeezed. Coffee was good (not great), some fresh fruit, some bacon, and homemade corn fritters that were very good. The host was very pleasant, not overbearing. Location is pretty good too. Overall, if you like the B&B experience and are looking for something in this area, I think you'd find the Grand Dutchess to be quite good.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Santa Fe, NM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2010

My wife, my daughter and I have all stayed at the Grand Dutchess Inn. It is what I would call a "Classic B&B": a comfortable place to stay in a great old house with welcoming hosts. If you are looking for a B&B that is like a motel, this is not the place for you. But if you like old houses with lots of antiques, you should stay here. The rooms were spacious and comfortable; the bathrooms clean and modern. A good, generous, homemade breakfast is served; again, if you are looking for a motel-style buffet,, look elsewhere. The location is great, in Red Hook (walking distance to restaurants, stores & shops), close to Bard College and in the Hudson River Valley. Staying at the Grand Dutchess is like staying with family friends who have a neat old house. I am looking foward to my next stay!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed for a weekend and just loved it! The room was large, clean and tastefully decorated. The bathroom was nice sized with a tub and shower. We were on the third floor so there was a fridge with water right outside our room which was a great touch.

Since we both are pretty picky eaters we told Beth (Innkeeper) certain things we would not eat and she was great at accommodating us. Besides the main dish offered for breakfast there were fresh muffins, scones and cake, as well as fresh cut fruit and boxes of dry cereal and granola. There really was plenty to eat which is what I look for in a B & B!

On the whole I loved this place, Beth, Harold and Patricia were so warm and accommodating. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Dutchess? Share your experiences!