“Very Disappointed after 3 tries” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 42 Restaurants in Red Hook
Cuisines: American
Red Hook, New York
“Very Disappointed after 3 tries”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

This is the 3rd time I have tried this restaurant, the first was probably before the current owners took over. The second time was for breakfast which was very disappointing, tasteless home fries, burned toast, but because the menu had some interesting looking items for lunch thought I would give it another try, so recently stopped by with a friend for lunch. I had their special hamburger, topped with melted feta cheese, tomato jam, mixed greens and finely grated cabbage which had been cured in brine. The hamburger was raw on the inside, the cabbage so salty that it was not fit to eat. Returned the hamburger and they prepared a new plate, hamburger still raw (had asked for medium done) so gave up, complained to the waiter who did no charge me. I will never stop at this restaurant again.

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

“Good but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

From the looks of it there was an old country restaurant here that the new people have taken over with an eye to serving interesting, modern food, and they have succeeded in part.
Inside, it still feels like a local breakfast place, with some attempts to modernize that probably go about as far as one usually goes in rented space. The server was very attentive, so no complaints on the service. The main courses were mixed. I had scallops, which were beautifully cooked and presented. Perfectly seared and moist on the inside. They had a sweet potato Meyer lemon topping that was pretty good, although a bit sweeter than it needed to be. I wanted to eat lightly so the serving of five large scallops with a sprig of greens was perfect - but it seemed a little short of a main course for most. In contrast, my wife had the trout, which erred on the side of too heavy. It was breaded and fried like a schnitzel or piccata, and topped with capers. But then it was served over red cabbage and a "brandade" of smoked trout, which was smoky fishy mashed potatoes. In contrast to the scallops, that dish was way too heavy, even for someone extremely hungry, and the weight was also not what people who order a piece of fish expect. Had the portion been lighter, and the components spread out a little, it would have been a competent dish, though still not my favorite.
Desserts were a problem - they seemed home-made in an unflattering way - lacking in flair and panache. The chocolate "ganache" was not a ganache at all, but more of a sugary fudge.
That said, while I am being fairly picky, the restaurant is interesting and I would stop again when in the area.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
dutchess county, ny
“A great find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

We were driving back home from a trip to Vermont, got off the Taconic Pkwy to find a place to have lunch, and stumbled on this delicious eatery. It's nothing to look at from the outside...we actually questioned whether we should even go in but so glad we did because the food was amazing and totally unexpected. One glance at the menu and you realize you are in a gourmet establishment. I had a reuben sandwich made with duck confit---absolutely delicious! The other three dishes at my table were equally yummy.....a "banh mi" sandwich made with pork belly, a grilled cheese sandwich that was to die for (I don't remember everything that was on it but it was incredible), and poached eggs over hash (breakfast is offered at lunch time as well). There is a sign when you enter that indicates they use only fresh local produce and you can tell they really do. I am so glad we live in Dutchess County so we can go back whenever we want!

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Stanfordville, New York
“Local and Delicious!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Another Fork in the Road is kind of easy to miss as you drive by, but definitely do not miss it! They have a great diverse menu and they feature local foods which is always important. Breakfast is wonderful here. You can get grits, granola and yogurt with local honey, and amazing pata bravas for a start. Everything I've had here is fresh and service is always prompt and delivered with a smile. I'm so happy to have found this local gem!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hudson, New York
“Funky but kinda okay anyway”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

After 5 attempts of trying to get into this place (limited days of operation that they often don't maintain) I was ready to give it 'one last chance.' Miraculously, they were actually open and it wasn't too crowded for a Sunday brunch.

Felt like a funky summer joint, not all that clean and service was lacking at best.

Despite the crummy service the food was quite tasty (sriracha hollandaise potatoes were the best thing we tried) and we polished them off long before anyone ever came back to see if we needed anything else. (We had to work at flagging down someone for coffee, even though they brought refills to the table right next to us.)

If you happen to be there and they happen to be open I'd say it's worth trying for the food.
If you're looking for something other than funky - skip it.

• Visited June 2013