“The water is cold” 2 of 5 stars

“The water is cold”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We booked a 2 day visit to your Great Escape & Splashwater kingdom for the
days after thanksgiving. Our 3 children (3, 7 and 9) were very excited about
it. As soon as we arrived they could not wait to get into their swimsuits
and go to the pool. However once we arrived at the pool, the water was so
cold that my kids had blue lips and were shivering all over within 15
minutes of playing there. We left the park and returned to our rooms for a
hot bath to heat them up again. Needless to say we did not return to the
pool and we left the next morning.

I went to the manager to ask if there was a problem with the heating and
told him the water was too cold for my children. He told us that the water
was 82 degrees so we should not complain. When I asked him if we could take
the thermometer and check if the water temperature was indeed 82 degrees he
told me that he would not do that. He also pointed out that none of the
other guests had complained about the temperature of the water. I pointed
him to my children and asked him if other then their "blue" and profusely
shivering appearance he noticed the difference in the size of my children
and the size of the other guests. The manager just stared at me and said
nothing. I tried to explain to him that since the vast majority of your
other guests appear to be obese they would not be bothered by the cold as
much as our family (we are tall skinny europeans). However he did not
respond to that.

I asked him for a refund for the second day (not the 1st day I mean we did
use the pool for like 30 min. and we would be spending the night), but he
said no. I then asked if he would be willing to give us a voucher for a trip
to the outdoor park (in summer when it is nice and warm outside), but he
said he could not do that and "wobbled" away.

I think the management fo Six flags and parents share the same objective. We
are all trying to make sure children have a safe and pleasant experience at
your resort. Due to the water temperature this was not possible so we had to
cut our trip short (we had a lot of comments on that as you can imagine). I
know you have a lot of people making up stories, planting disgusting items
in their rooms, whatever to get a refund.
However, we were expecting that when somebody sees that children cannot
enjoy their time at Six flags due to the fact that they do not have enough fat
on their bones to stay warm, there would be some gesture.

Btw: my 3 year old fell completely in love with Santa Claus and Ms. Claus at
the resort. She simply loved them!

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Albany, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Thank you for a fabulous week end. This is the 7th year we've come for our post-Thanksgiving family get together - 10 people, 3 rooms, all different ages from grandparents down to a 6 year old. The holiday decorations, characters and activities (loved the snow in the lobby!) were outstanding this year. Everyone had a good time.

Stow, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We just got back from spending the Thanksgiving long weekend here. We’ve been going once a year for the last 5 or 6 years. Obviously we really like the place. There are places, especially in the waterpark that are starting to show their age, not bad just areas that could use a good cleaning or repainting. But my kids still love the water park and this was the first time they would try the flow rider, which was a lot of fun for everyone.
We stayed in one of the kid cabin rooms. In the room is a little cabin for the kids with their own bunk beds and tv on the wall. There is no door or roof on it so the sound and light still travels between it and the main room, but it was a lot of fun for them to sleep in.
They had a number of holiday events going on, which were outstanding. In the afternoon, Santa and Mrs Claus were entertaining in the lobby, followed by story time at night. Normally at night you can sign up for (at an extra charge) Sweet Dreams where a character brings cookies and milk to the kids before bed. This year at holiday time, Santa and Mrs C. bring them by. Santa was amazing!! He came right in, sat on the couch and talked to my kids for 10 minutes. The next morning he saw them in the lobby and called them over to talk again. There was also a Santa breakfast which we did not attend.
They have changed to new (non-familiar) characters, I do wish they would bring back the Looney Tune characters.
I’m sure we will be back in the future.

Pittsfield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I decided to take my three sons away for one night to just "get away." This was an excellent place for a 1 night retreat. The water park was perfect for my sons who are 6,8, and 12. To be able to watch everyone no matter where they were was great for an overprotective parent.

I purchased the drink cups for $8.99 which was a huge money saver. There were Coca Cola drink dispensers all over the property with every Coke product imaginable.

Be careful of the taxes and resort fees. The room was originally $259 and the total bill for the room ended up being $312.24 which included a $22.10 resort fee (more than I have paid in Vegas!).

To make the most our of your stay, arrive a 12p.m. the day of check in to use the water park and plan to stay well after your check out time of 11a.m. to use the water park. We packed breakfast and lunch to also save money. There is a fridge and microwave in the room

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

All four days we had no hot water. The water park water turned on and off. The coffee at the cafe was stale. Kids club was unorganized and never on schedule. Took forever at the front desk. Will definitely not go to any six flag lodges because of this. Stick to the park not the indoor water park or lodges! Freezing water too!

• Stayed October 2012

Travelers are raving about these Queensbury hotels

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

The people that work here were not helpful and spoke with a rude attitude. Our children did not feel welcomed. the employees in the kids corner scolded our child for touching the toys in the kids corner. Kids corner events were listed but when we went it was always color time only. It was over priced for what we got. The water is cold in the water park and in the rooms. The heat was inconsistent, either to hot or to cold. We were promised kitchen utensils received none and when we went and asked for some. Again the employees were rude and told they could not give us any, even though they were right there in visible sight and included in our cost. Please do not waste your time. Spending 2 hrs in the water park is plenty of time and the hotel is not worth being at. Save your money.

• Stayed November 2012
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed here for almost a week. Prior I was so excited to staying here as all of the photos online does make it appear to be a dream for travelling families. Our group was travelling with 2 children and I thought it would be perfect especially for them. Just want to cover on a few points to advise other potential customers:
1. It is in fact an awesome location if you plan on going to the amusement park as it's right across the highway (walkway is available). I advise that you should get your tickets online in advance to save a few bucks. I couldn't get a straight answer from customer service when emailing them previous to our trip - I just kept getting told that I can get discounted tickets from their gift shop. I do think if customers are staying at the on-site lodge better deals should be present - that wasn't the case.

2. There's an awesome water park within the premises - for children. That was unfortunate as me and my wife were really looking forward to cooling down in the evening but there's no water facilities for adults. It's just for kids. I think they should've at least put in hot tub or regular sized pool than just focusing on children.

3. Overall the 'lodge feel' management shoots for is just a little cheesy and unnecessary. There's a lot of fake dead animals around the hotel and faux wood flows throughout the hotel. In my opinion the hotel could've been more pleasing on the eyes going a different direction.

4. The nightly rate is overpriced for the value we found. It's great for families however who want to just simply have everything in one spot; food, accommodations, and you don't feel like going anywhere else during your stay. The hotel overall is only next to the theme park and there's nowhere really to walk to by foot if you get bored. That got a bit annoying as I typically like to wander off than to always drive somewhere when I want something small.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark? Share your experiences!