“Waterpark fun in November” 4 of 5 stars

Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   89 Six Flags Dr, Queensbury, NY 12804   |
Ranked #4 of 11 hotels in Queensbury
Upper Jay, New York, United States
“Waterpark fun in November”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

As a birthday surprise we travelled the convenient distance to the Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark. Many of our friends and even our children had been before, but this was my husband's and my first visit. The Lodge is large, contains 3 eating options, a kids club, arcade, gift shop and coffee stand. The decor is enormous Adirondack with huge chandeliers and gigantic moose head. Characters pop out from time to time and even lead a bit of dancing in the lobby. The water park is huge with every level of slide & water play for all ages. The lazy river snakes around with water spraying continuously from different features. By the lack if chairs available and the lines, I'd guess the place was near capacity. Loud as you'd expect with screaming voices echoing, life guard whistles blowing and top 40 blasting on many, many speakers. Not a place for the quiet type(: but obviously for the young and young at heart. Our room was a new suite with an actual cabin containing bunk beds in the middle. The kids loved it. My only criticisms are the temperature (we were cold the entire time, and the water was invigorating, not relaxing) and food service was slow. Worth it for a bit of a winter get away. The water park & breakfast were included in the overnight fee.

• Stayed November 2012

788 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Embrun, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I read many reviews of this resort and the negative ones almost had me convinced that I should cancel my booking. I could not have been happier his my stay and will go back this year.
From the start, the area is beautiful. The hotel looks modern and rustic with features of log cabins, wooden furniture and antlers all over.
The staff was friendly right from the front desk to people handing out towels at the water park.
The room was very spacious, clean and smelled fresh ( basic room 458 ), you could here people next to you only when their children ran or stomped around ( really at a family water park resort? Children were there and excited and jumping around? Yes, please expect this ) I found other guests respectful and stopped any noise right away.
The beds are high quality, memory foam mattresses, which if you are of average weight, support very well. I had a great sleep.
The staff at Johnny Rockets were very kind and the breakfast was great.
The water park was superb. And I'm a season pass holder of Calypso water park in Canada. My six year old tried everything, lazy river, wave rider, slides. The water is not cold. The water feels cold because the humidity is high in the park. You adjust quickly.

Room Tip: West side best view. South East faces amusement park.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Albany, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

1st time!! Stayed in basic room and had lots of space for 2 adults and 2 7 year olds! The bed were SO comfortable could not believe it!!!!! Ck out was done through the TV this was a great time saver!! Water part was fun!! Stayed over the halloween celebration. Face painting, majic show, balloon animals, story time, scavenger hunt ALL included!!! Would stay again. The only complaint is they really should offer a continental breakfast for the price!! There are a few resturants but for early risers they didnt fit into the schedule!

Williston, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Resort Room: The room was #252, we were allowed to check in early (Noon) great location with two double beds and a pull out sofa. Beds were pretty hard, but we were there for one night only. This was perfect for two adults and two kids. The walls were thin and we could hear people in the rooms next to us, but we just dropped off our things and headed to the water park. Came back to our room after dinner and a full day of activities and we were pooped. We constantly heard people going up and down the hallways talking. We were even woken up at 4:17am when some really loud people were outside our door-not cool! Check out was simple and easy.

Waterpark: Very fun for little ones. The park is on the small side, so teens may get bored with such a small selection of slides (2 single slides with inflatable tubes) and one family tube ride, then there were a few more small slides where you had to lay on your back-in the "treehouse" type areaBut again, those slides were small and meant for little ones. The line for the surfing area always was pretty long so we didn't bother trying it out.

Resort activities: This is where the lodge gets a GREAT review. We were there during "Fright Fest" and they had costume contests, trick-or-treating, storytime with free milk and cookies, Scavenger hunts, face painting, Magic Shows, Balloon animal making, etc going on constantly! This was a great way to spend the day. They also have a "kids Center" where kids can go to kae stuffed animals, paint some plaster banks, and color tshirts (all for a fee), but we passed on the pay activities and had a full day with the free stuff.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Just stayed for 3 days with my family to celebrate my brother's 7th birthday... he did not want a house party or McDonalds party this year he said he wanted to stay at a hotel. We chose the Great Escape lodge since we have been here before and it's the only indoor water park nearby.

He had a blast; we had a huge room right on the first floor which gave us easy access to everything. You can control the heat and the AC in the rooms however the water park was FREEZING! From the moment you walked into the water park to the water, I froze the whole time... even the hot tub did not seem hot enough compared to the chilly park. I understand its Fall, but given that is a indoor water park i am confused as to why it was sooo cold in there.

We purchased a food package to include breakfast and Pizza for lunch. Johnny Rockets was good but the Pizza at the restraint was gross, and the broccoli cheddar ale soup was not edible we had to return it.

The staff is a mixed bunch most of them seemed dull, I do have to highlight the ladies at the kid's room where they can do arts & crafts, they were both very patient with my gang and were very nice and cheerful, thank you! Also the manager at the crappy restaurant on the main floor, he was also very nice and accommodating.

The house keeper were horrible they ended up not cleaning our rooms, it was around 4:40pm and we saw her outside and noticed our rooms were still not cleaned... we came back to change for dinner so we asked them to come back in 1/2 hour, she replies " I finish at 5pm so it's now or never"... she had ALL day to clean out room, not cool!

Overall we had a wonderful time and were sad to leave. We cannot wait to go back... hopefully with a warmer experience

Room Tip: Request the first floor
ORLANDO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

So far so good with this visit..
The kids love the water park..
A little rainy but it did subside and we went across the street to Great Escape..
Now let me say I only gave it a 3 for rooms because they are small..and i prefer s larger room..now I don't think it was very expensive and therefore what we got with our room .. like the arm bands and tickets to the Great Escape...But we usually stay at the Ritz.so our travel tastes are different..
.also we stayed in the themed room so the kids could have the cabin.. They loved it.
Would I do it again?
For a short period of time yes..
Otherwise I would get the larger rooms..
But this visit wasn't about me.. It was for the kids.. And they totally loved the indoor waterpark.
The whole hotel was decked out in Halloween it was super cute..
Evan and Patty went out of their way to get me some cereal for the kids after they closed..so I thought that was cool..
It was a bummer on Sunday morning they ran out of bacon..
I think maybe they got busier than normal and it was unexpected?
Overall I think they really tried..
It was also just a cute stroll down memory lane since I went there and StoryTown when I was a kid..
But it is time to revamp that place!
We live by Disney so Great Escape is small and run down..
Anyhow..the kids had fun and that's what counted.

• Stayed October 2012
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

First time at this establishment, and we were not disappointed from the moment we arrived. The entrance and lobby were decorated for Halloween. There were Halloween activities throughout the day and evening in the large lobby. Check-in was fast, friendly, and informative. We stayed 1 night which entitled us to use the indoor waterpark the day we arrived, and the next day. The waterpark was clean, and catered to all ages. Lifeguards were at each station.The room is quite large, with a separate living room area, and the beds have foam mattresses, very comfortable. The location of the hotel is great, close to Lake George and the outlet mall. It's a great time for a couple of days.

Room Tip: not near the stairwell, quite noisy
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark? Share your experiences!