“High quality food much better than fast food chains” 4 of 5 stars

(518) 793-5919
Improve this listing
Ranked #58 of 97 restaurants in Queensbury
Albany, New York
“High quality food much better than fast food chains”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

A friend took me here knowing I was not a fan of fast food...especially the type served up by major chains. However, I can now see why people will seek this place out on trips up North or make a special trek to this place. The food is delicious and much higher quality than you normally find at a place where you order at a counter and then sit down to eat your food.

I had the roast beef "Philly Style" which came with sauteed peppers, onions and cheese sauce. They served it to me sans roll because I am on a special diet and brought my own low carb pita. However, the rolls they serve there LOOK AMAZING...they even have the beloved WECK roll that I enjoyed while in college in Western (Upstate) New York near Buffalo. The beef is lean, cooked perfectly and melts in your mouth. It's sliced super-thin, no grizzle. I heard they roast it right there. I can tell the difference! Plus...it is not overly salty like you find at the fast food/sub chains. Nothing to cover up the quality.

I also sampled the sweet potato nuggets! Again...totally yummy! Not greasy at all! And, the portion was very large. The condiments are also high quality and fresh tasting/looking. You can help yourself and put the little sauces in little cups if you want more than one type.

The place was also very clean, despite the very casual look. The only reason for 4 stars instead of 5 is because it IS VERY casual...like a drive in...bathroom needs a key to open it up. If I was staying at a hotel in the area I would definitely come here and pick up sandwiches, nuggets and then bring it back to the hotel to enjoy with a nice iced tea, craft brew or glass of wine. Or, pick up sandwiches and bring them to the lake for a picnic.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

66% Recommend
Ontario, Canada
“Nostalgia”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

When we were kids we used to go to Lake George in the summer. My aunt used to LOVE these sandwiches. It's been about 10 years since she passed away. While I was driving through Lake George, I stopped for a sandwich in her honour. The food hasn't changed though I think there used to be another location down by the water. The meat was still tasty and the tater tots like they used to be. I'd definitely stop in again on my way through town.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Brick, New Jersey
“Dry”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

After having a great roast beef sandwich in another city along my trip, I was on high alert for a similar place on my travels. As I drove past Mr B's, I knew I had to give it a shot. A quick u-turn and some creative driving later, I was at the counter ordering my roast beef.
Got the large roast beef combo that came with tater tots. It appears that tater tots are their only side dish, so I figured they must be amazing.
So our roast beef sandwiches came out and the counter person said she'd bring the tater tots out in a moment. No big deal, I wanted to dive into the roast beef sandwich first anways.
So our roast beef was dry, like Saharan desert dry. I added horseradish sauce to it to kick it up a notch and it helped, but didn't take away from the overcooked nature of the roast beef.
So we are sitting there not really enjoying our roast beef and see other people getting tater tots and yet we still didn't get ours. After finishing up my sandwich, I went to the counter to ask about the tater tots. The girl wasn't apologetic or particularly friendly, but gave us the 2 orders of tot's we ordered 15 minutes ago.
I had high hopes for the tots, but was sadly let down again. They appeared to be and tasted like the frozen tater tots you get at the grocery store.
Maybe we caught them at a bad time, maybe we got the end piece of roast beef, either way it wasn't an enjoyable experience.
I won't be returning to Mr. B's the next time I am in Lake George.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Ramsey, New Jersey
“A gem!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This place has amazing roast beef sandwiches. The roast beef sandwiches are unlike anything I have tried before -- the roast beef is shredded and pulled -- and looks like a pulled pork sandwich. I cannot eat Arby's again after eating at Mr. B's. If you like roast beef sandwiches, try Mr. B's.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Carle Place, New York
“Long Time Establishment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Mr B's has been around a long long time. We come up to the llake George area 2 or 3 times a year for over 50 years. And it seems like Mr B's has been around since our first visit. While i believe the placs is not as good as it once was, it still provides a good hero sandwich. We still stop there for a hero during our visits, as its a 'tradition".

Visited April 2013