“Stale, Cold, Greasy” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese
Narrowsburg, NY
“Stale, Cold, Greasy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

.The Lake George area is known for its natural beauty and not its food so I don’t expect four star cuisine anywhere in the area. The reviews of Old China Buffet in Queensburry were mixed but I figured I would give them a try for a quick and inexpensive meal. I am not an expert on Chinese-American food but I did grow up 3 blocks from Chinatown in NYC and have eaten Chinese food at least once a week since I was a baby, fifty something years ago. This is a no frills buffet that even has pour your own drinks. Once you pay your money at the counter you are pretty much left on your own. We visited the Old China Buffet on Sunday 9/2/12. There were only about 20 people in the restaurent when we arrived and it was about 2 hours from closing. We paid our money as we entered and were told to sit anywhere. when we went to the buffet tables the first thing I noticed was a microwave next to the soda machine It quickly became evident why it was there. Cold, greasy food that seemed like it had been in the steam pan all day long and never changed out. There was actually a crust on some of the food and some items were stuck to the bottom of the pan. The so called sushi was stale, warm and crusty and the ginger in the adjoining pan was in a soup of juice and almost fermenting. My wife and I always start out with a bowl of soup. I had some egg drop and my wife just had chicken broth. The egg drop soup was so old that the custard was broken and it was like water. My wife put the spoon of broth up to her lips and immediately started gagging, spit it back out and reached for her water. She scrunched up her face and said “it’s so salty”. I tried it and it was saltier then pure soy sauce. It was obvious that they did not add any water to their canned concentrated broth. She went up and told the owner who tested the broth and immediately took it back to the kitchen. He returned a few minutes later and brought my wife a fresh bowl of broth, apologized and said it was salty because it sat out too long and evaporated. Go figure! The rest of the food was just as bad and we were just about to leave when a large group came in. The kitchen staff quickly brought fresh? food and I went up for some more. The food was hot but just as stale and old tasting as the food that had been out in the bins. We left hungry and looked forward to breakfast the next morning.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Vernon, New York
“Good meal out.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

This place was decently priced, with fresh food and a good variety. The staff was friendly and helpful also.

Visited July 2012
Middle Granville
“Good Chinese Buffet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

The food is always fresh, hot or cold as it should be, the price is right and the selection is the best in the LG region!!!

Visited April 2012
Queensbury, New York
“You call that Chinese?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

If you want a buffet, and Chinatown is too packed, this is an ok place to go, if you must. The Flaming Wok in the mall, not a buffet but still, has better tasting Chinese than this place. They do have a dessert bar though with jello, sponge cake and pecan pie that is pretty good. Salad bar is not bad, fresh cold shrimp. The hot dishes barely pass as hot, the rice is wide open without a cover so it is cold and hard. Would a rice steamer really hurt? Drive a little further to Chinatown on Route 9, Monty has a rice steamer, and hot fresh food that is replaced, cleaned and checked constantly.

Scarsdale, New York
“My only complaint”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

The food is ok, My only complaint is that when I visited this establishment, it was 90 outside and 87 inside, I was sweating as I sat and left because they would not reduce the inside tempurature to a more comfortable level, like maybe around 78-80.

• Visited August 2010