“Fisherman - er sort of - Family - no way!” 2 of 5 stars

Knights Inn Pulaski
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3723-3724 State Route 13, Pulaski, NY 13142   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Pulaski
Tuckerton, New Jersey
“Fisherman - er sort of - Family - no way!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

My brother and I rented separate rooms for 4 days at this facility for a fishing trip in early October. We booked last December because the area gets crowded during the salmon run. The motel on the outside was clean looking as was the small lobby for check in. Upon checking in we saw a notice about surcharges for fish in the refrigerator, cleaning fish in the bathtub and soiling the carpet. We had a good laugh and asked the lady checking us in if people really did that. She was very serious with her affirmative answer.

I was unlucky and got a room next to the ice machine. For some reason, the room retained its heat, so I had to put the air conditioning on, even though it was 50 degrees outside. This was fortunate since it created some white noise which took away the intermittent noise of the ice machine dropping ice into buckets.

The room was a different story - I pulled the curtain next to the window and noticed there wasn't a lock on the window. Pushing up the window, I saw the reason why - there was no glass in the window - only 2 storm windows and screen were present. The sill was rotting away and there were holes to the outside. The carpet had seen better days, there was no molding between the carpet and the bathroom tile, the toilet leaked from the handle when flushed and the shower knob fell into my hand the first time I grabbed it to turn on the water to take a shower.

The room did contain a microwave, small refrigerator, coffee maker and television, all in good working order.

Fortunately, when I returned to the room each evening after fishing, I had just enough energy to take a shower, set up the fishing equipment for the next day and then passed out on the bed, until my next wakeup call 7 hours later, thus I didn't have to spend too much time in the room.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

We got out of the car to check into this hotel and the entire outside of the place reeked of urine...we opened the door to the room and the smell was so overwhelming I felt sick...the only 2 chairs in the place were stained horribly...there were holes in the walls that had been patched but not painted...the dresser was scuffed and the bed had a king sized head board but was maybe a full size bed. The toilet had leaked all the over the floor...we thought the entire area was booked for fishing...but we finally found another room at the Super 8 that was immaculate. I would have slept in my car if we hadn't. We asked for our cash money back which we received however our credit card to hold the room was charged and we are still fighting for the charge to be reversed. We stayed here for 5 minutes and believe me it was five minutes too long!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

Some event must have been taking place in Watertown, and all of the hotels were all booked up. It was already 7:00PM and we had been driving since 10:00 AM from Quebec City, with four children under age 10, one of them a baby. It was time to get a room. I was expecting the worst based on reviews that I had read, but was pleasantly surprised at several details about the Travelodge. Consider that this is a rustic, little fishing town that looks and feels like it may have gotten caught in a time warp during the 50's. Indeed the decor, curtins, carpet, furniture, etc. were certainly reminiscent of that time. However, we found the place to be well-cleaned and kept. The beds were comfortable. We found the shower to be the best of anywhere we had stayed. Although we had to run the hot water for five minutes before any hot water came out, once it had, we turned it on all of the way, then adjusted the cold water and it was a perfect, long, hot shower. We loved the bear bites breakfast - we made waffles for the kids, enjoyed the juice and doughnuts, coffee, English muffins, bananas, apples, oranges. When things ran out, they brought out more of everything right away. We liked that, in the room, the sink was outside of the bathroom where the tub and toilet were located. That was more convenient and less bother for us. Good cable TV and high-speed internet signal for my laptop. Secure door with deadbolt. It was quiet - we didn't hear any of our many neighbors. Our icemaker was out of order, and the pool was way smaller than the photo shows. If you're expecting a four or five-star experience, this isn't the place for you. But if a rustic, fishing village getaway in a quaint, old-time hamlet is up your alley, then this motel is more than acceptable for the money.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

My husband, son and I were traveling to Ft. Drum NY to welcome our oldest son home from Iraq. I had a very hard time booking a room anywhere near Ft. Drum. We called every hotel, motel and bed & breakfast. I called the Travelodge in Pulaski and was suprised that they had a room. The rate was great and they were very accomadating since we changed the dates several times. I expected it to be a dive because it was so cheap, but at this point I didn't care. The room was decent and very clean. My only complaint is our room didn't have a dresser so we lived our of our suitcases for a week. The manager and staff were very, very friendly. Do I wish I would have stayed a more newer, cleaner updated Hotel, absolutey, but I kept thinking...You get what you pay for. I expected worse so I was pleasently surprised. I'd traveled to many places and stayed in far worse places. If I ever come back to this part of New York I would stay there again. My only complaint is that it was a far distance away from Ft. Drum so next time I would want to stay closer to Drum.
It really isn't that bad people. It's cheap so again, you get what you pay for. You can't expect a five star hotel at 69.00 a night!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

My stepson had a hockey tournament in Pulaski, so we wanted to avoid traveling back and forth. After paying $68 to stay in a dump, we figured we should have traveled to Syracuse to stay! When I took a shower, I finally had the temperature right, and while reaching up to change the shower head setting, scalding hot water came out and burnt my arm. The shower continuously changed temp, and kept burning me. I wouldn’t let me stepson or husband use the shower after that! I came out beat red, and went and showed the girl at the desk, who was less that sympathetic! The bathroom was gross, the bed sheets had hairs in them, I could feel the springs in the mattress. It was a terrible stay and certainly not worth the money! Even a fishermen looking for a shower and good night's rest wouldn't find this place acceptable!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
long island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

If I would have known the only [--]that existed had availability i would have slept in the car. Exhausted from the flight and couldn't find any hotels in area that had availability I settled on a room here. It was a smoking room. It stank. The morning after I woke up to a leak in the ceiling. management refunded me 25% but it was horrendous. I should have slept in the car.!! But i guess that's what you get for 40 a night.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
RedcarpetScottishinn, Manager at Knights Inn Pulaski, responded to this review, August 13, 2009
First I would like to apologize to this guest for the unpleasant experience while staying with us We were full that night with only a few smoking rooms left. A non smoker accepting a smoking room may find a smoke scent even though the room has been thoroughly cleaned...
That is why we keep these rooms separate.
We did not expect the roof to leak & are undergoing repairs on it. We apologized for this & gave a 25% discount to this guest when they checked out the next morning.
If this guest would be kind enough to give us another chance, I will do my best to offer them a "Non Smoking" Room & to make the stay Pleasant & Comfortable.
We Offer Free: Continental Breakfast, Wireless Internet,
25" Tvs /Cable =-CNN,Nick,HBO, Microwave, Fridge, Outdoor Pool.
Please feel free to call Vinnie (Manager)
(315) 402-6021
new york
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2009

we were there to stay as we were cleaning out mothers house in pulaski and just need a place to sleep and take a shower when we walked in we turn on heat as the room was cool next thing knew was almost 90 in room and had thermostate set for only 60 thermostate didnt work right it was eather on or off we went to take shower and i turned on the hot water after about 20 minutes the water finally got hot
when you turn the water on it came out of the facuets in the wall
before we could even take a shower we had to wash the tub out as there was hair all over it
when got into bed was like sleeping on a rock

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
RedcarpetScottishinn, Manager at Knights Inn Pulaski, responded to this review, June 14, 2009
First I would like to apologize to this guest
for the unpleasant experience while staying with us.
The only documented complaint
from this guest was about the hot water.
I checked the water while this guest
was staying with us & found that;
because their room was at the end of the motel building,
while the double sixty gallon water heater was in the middle,
that it did take more time (aprox 4 mins) for the for
the hot water to travel to their room.
Another room was offered to this guest & was not accepted
I was not aware of the problems with:
the Heat Thermostat, the Faucet leak, or the Bathtub Housekeeping
until I read about it on Our Trip Advisor page.
I have since: replaced the thermostat as it was not working correctly.
The faucet did leak slightly into the tub when turned a certain way,
I am in the process of repairing it.
We believe in Cleanliness & Excellent Service
Therefore; should a guest find a housekeeping problem,
we would gratefully appreciate being informed right away,
so that we can rectify the problem.
If this guest would like to give us another chance, I will do
whatever I can to make their stay Comfortable & Relaxing.
Please feel free to call Vinnie @ (315) 402-6021

Been to Knights Inn Pulaski? Share your experiences!