“Great Hotel in Poughkeepsie” 5 of 5 stars

Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel
40 Civic Center Plaza, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601   |
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Poughkeepsie
Cypress, Texas, United States
“Great Hotel in Poughkeepsie”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I checked into this hotel on Monday the 18th of February, 2012. It was a very late check-in and the Host was very gracious in assisting me. The Hotel has charm from years gone by but is super clean. I was given a King size room with a great Poster Bed. Flat screen TV and the most powerful shower at any hotel that I have visited in the past 3 years and I travel alot.
I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who needs to stay in Poughkeepsie, it's also connected to the Civic Center.

Room Tip: Ask for a King Bed room, had a great working area and a great bed!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Osceola, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I think the reviews you will read on this hotel are accurate but I'd like to offer a different view. Overall we enjoyed our stay.

Keisha? was at the front desk upon our arrival and was friendly and helpful. She made us feel welcome (including our 10 year old). Our reservation was for two days but we ran into a snow storm on the way. The Hotel cancelled the two day reservation and changed it to one day and did not charge us anything additional. My plan was to take Metro North into NYC so my son could experience a New York City Christmas and once we checked in, the hotel provided us transportation to the Metro North/Amtrak Station. When we returned they provided transportation back.

They offered a free Full Breakfast in the morning, not one of the "Continental" breakfasts that other hotel chains offer. Eggs any style! My son had pancakes and my wife had French Toast which came with 6 slices of french toast and 8 slices of bacon!!!

In Poughkeepsie's hey day, this hotel was probably one of the finest in the area. It is a large hotel and right next to it is a convention center. It is an old hotel that appears updated.

For the price, it was a great value. I had a great nights sleep! My only complaint was the "warm" shower in the morning. After traveling, i was looking forward to a hot shower.

Again, I want to point out that Keisha made us feel welcome and if we are in the area again, we would stay at the hotel again. I'm not sure if there is a pool or fitness center but we did not use it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I stayed there one night in October. Clean but a little outdated. We had a non smoking room but smoke smell was coming through the vent in the Bathroom. The bar downstairs was nice as was the free breakfast. Friendly staff. Parking is a little crazy

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Frbg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed at this older hotel the middle of October and found it to be clean and up to date - at least on the 10th floor. River view was great. The free morning breakfast
was a full meal. Bar and grill is above average. Also the hotel staff picked up my
party at the Metro North rail station and transported us to the hotel. Elevator serve to our floor was good. I will stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Syracuse, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This hotel is relatively clean, but as many people have said, the decor is a bit dated. There is also a lack of power outlets in the room. There is only one outlet by the desk in the room, but it already has two lamps plugged into it, so in order to plug in my computer I had to unplug one of the lamps. The bed is very large, but it is extremely hard and very uncomfortable. When taking a shower, the water would not get hot. I had to settle for a lukewarm shower. While this hotel is certainly clean and safe, it is not a very relaxing environment.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed at the Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel for three nights this October, 2012.
It was a very nice hotel. Liked our stay. Staff were helpful, nice, answered all our questions.
Breakfast buffet wasn't good, but it was "adequate". The coffee cold.
Staff at the bar area, were exceptional.
note: A fire alarm went off (a false alarm, thank goodness) early morning. Thus causing 'everyone' to evacuate into a cold morning.
Upon check-out, we weren't offered any compensation. No apology, No Coffee, No breakfast.
No discount upon a next stay! Poor management.

Room Tip: With so many great locations/options for food, I won't eat at the hotel again unless their resta...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed here after a wedding at the Grandview. Overall the hotel seemed relatively clean but was definitely dated. After reading other reviews, I knew to make sure our room was on the 10th floor because that floor was an updated, non-smoking floor. Our room was clean and had definitely been updated... the bathroom left something to be desired but was not too bad. When went down to breakfast (which was included) the following morning we got onto the elevator on the 10th floor. The elevate kept going up and down but the doors would not open. Come to find out, this is a common occurrence. Finally, the doors opened on the 10th floor and we got out. We proceeded to take the stairs down the 10 flights only to find out the doors are looked from the outside, meaning we were not stuck in the stairwell. We then walked back up several flights of stairs until we were able to get out of the stairwell and I demanded that an employee take us down on the staff elevator. Most of the employees were really nice and helpful which made out stay, and the elevator debacle, a bit better.

Breakfast was alright... staff there was very young and was more concerned about how hungry they were then paying attention to the needs of the guests.

Overall, not a bad hotel, but certainly could use new elevators, some more updates, a more mature breakfast staff, and should strive to be in compliance with the fire code.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!