“great staff and great location” 4 of 5 stars

Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel
40 Civic Center Plaza, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601   |
Ranked #8 of 14 hotels in Poughkeepsie
Frbg
“great staff and great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed at this older hotel the middle of October and found it to be clean and up to date - at least on the 10th floor. River view was great. The free morning breakfast
was a full meal. Bar and grill is above average. Also the hotel staff picked up my
party at the Metro North rail station and transported us to the hotel. Elevator serve to our floor was good. I will stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

141 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Syracuse, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This hotel is relatively clean, but as many people have said, the decor is a bit dated. There is also a lack of power outlets in the room. There is only one outlet by the desk in the room, but it already has two lamps plugged into it, so in order to plug in my computer I had to unplug one of the lamps. The bed is very large, but it is extremely hard and very uncomfortable. When taking a shower, the water would not get hot. I had to settle for a lukewarm shower. While this hotel is certainly clean and safe, it is not a very relaxing environment.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed at the Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel for three nights this October, 2012.
It was a very nice hotel. Liked our stay. Staff were helpful, nice, answered all our questions.
Breakfast buffet wasn't good, but it was "adequate". The coffee cold.
Staff at the bar area, were exceptional.
note: A fire alarm went off (a false alarm, thank goodness) early morning. Thus causing 'everyone' to evacuate into a cold morning.
Upon check-out, we weren't offered any compensation. No apology, No Coffee, No breakfast.
No discount upon a next stay! Poor management.

Room Tip: With so many great locations/options for food, I won't eat at the hotel again unless their resta...
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed here after a wedding at the Grandview. Overall the hotel seemed relatively clean but was definitely dated. After reading other reviews, I knew to make sure our room was on the 10th floor because that floor was an updated, non-smoking floor. Our room was clean and had definitely been updated... the bathroom left something to be desired but was not too bad. When went down to breakfast (which was included) the following morning we got onto the elevator on the 10th floor. The elevate kept going up and down but the doors would not open. Come to find out, this is a common occurrence. Finally, the doors opened on the 10th floor and we got out. We proceeded to take the stairs down the 10 flights only to find out the doors are looked from the outside, meaning we were not stuck in the stairwell. We then walked back up several flights of stairs until we were able to get out of the stairwell and I demanded that an employee take us down on the staff elevator. Most of the employees were really nice and helpful which made out stay, and the elevator debacle, a bit better.

Breakfast was alright... staff there was very young and was more concerned about how hungry they were then paying attention to the needs of the guests.

Overall, not a bad hotel, but certainly could use new elevators, some more updates, a more mature breakfast staff, and should strive to be in compliance with the fire code.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I attended a friend 's wedding that took place at the Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel last weekend. It was a nice property overall. We arrived super late on Friday night (like 2 AM because of unexpected travel delays). I had previously informed the hotel we would be a late arrival but 2 AM was far later than I expected so I called to let them know and they said it wasn't a problem. Indeed, when we finally got there our room was waiting for us. As others have mentioned, the parking is free and is in a municipal lot attached to the hotel. My boyfriend parked the car without incident while I got us checked in. The wedding had reserved a room block for guests; when I reserved my room months ago I requested a non-smoking quiet room (meaning away from elevators and vending machines). We were put into a room on the 7th floor (apparently a non-smoking floor) with a huge king sleigh bed but it was right near the elevators and the vending machines. The room itself was nice, the king size bed was quite comfortable, the bathroom was clean and a decent size. We needed to have the toilet fixed at one point during the weekend but that wasn't a big deal. The hotel offers free wi-fi and I easily accessed it through my iPAD. The connection appeared to go down a couple of times.

The hotel serves a free hot breakfast to overnight guests each morning. The hot breakfast was decent; they had coffee, orange and cranberry juices, cold cereals and milk, an omelet station, scrambled eggs, home fries, sausage, bacon, danish, and a smattering of fresh fruit. If you're a vegan this breakfast wasn't too accommodating. Breakfast on Saturday appeared to run smoothly but Sunday's breakfast seemed to get a few logistics wrong: they ran out of glasses, spoons, and numerous food items by shortly after 9 AM and seemed a little pokey in getting these things refilled. The Sunday breakfast was packed.

My friend's wedding took place in one of the conference rooms and was a basic wedding set up (gazebo in front of the room, chairs arranged to view the ceremony). After the wedding, there was a short cocktail reception across the hall with passed hors d'oeuvres and some food stations. There was precious little vegetarian food (and again if you're a vegan you'd be completely out of luck). My friend had told me they'd tried to have some vegan options but the hotel simply didn't offer anything. They also had sushi, cocktail shrimp, some chicken pasta and stir fry dishes. My meat and seafood eating boyfriend said that these food items were all good.

We went back across the hall to the reception. First course was a salad, then we were given a choice of entree. I of course had the vegetarian option, which was a veggie lasagna. It was good but the inside was cold, the portion was massive and I couldn't finish. My boyfriend had salmon that he said was good; others who had either prime rib or chicken said those meals were good, too. Dessert was wedding cake (of course!), bananas Foster, and a tray of petit fours. I'm not sure if the hotel made the cake but it was OK. The Bananas Foster and the petit fours were delicious. My friends wedding was one of 5 I believe that were going on at the same time. The facilities and staff definitely seemed prepared to handle all of these events.

The hotel did a nice job with my friend's wedding; most importantly the bride and groom were very pleased with the way it turned out so there you have it.

The hotel lobby is small and appears to be newly renovated. We were given two coupons for two free drinks at the Market Street Grill, the bar located in the lobby. When we tried to use them we were told they weren't good on Saturday nights; I discussed this with the staff when I checked out and they stated that they had made a mistake because it was a new promotion. It would have been nice to have been comped for the two drinks but I didn't make a big stink about it. Late Saturday night we were in the bar and had some food. I had the spinach and strawberry salad and my boyfriend had an Asian stir-fry with shrimp. The portions were huge; my salad was excellent and my boyfriend said his meal was excellent, too. We didn't take the food back to the room with us but each room has a refrigerator and a microwave, so if you're staying a few nights you could take leftovers upstairs with you.

I'm not sure if the Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel is the only game in town but it certainly was nice enough for our stay to enjoy our friend's wedding.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I know this was an impressive hotel in its day but it is in serious need for some upgrading. I attended a wedding here in October 2012. Let me begin by saying the municipal parking is shared by the Civic Center. There was no gate/ticket/ or attendant to clarify any questions. After taking nearly 20 minutes to locate a parking spot we finally made our way into the filthy elevator. (Not to mention it felt very unsafe walking through the parking area that was riddeled with beer bottles and garbage. )The stench of urine flowed right into the hallway of the hotel lobby. I'm sure the economy has taken its toll on this location, but steps need to be taken to compensate for that.
The staff were all quite friendly....except for the bartenders at the wedding whom couldn't provide
a smile and seemed miserable. The food was acceptable for its mass production. The rooms were dark with poor lighting, the bed was hard as cement. The heating element in the room would only provide heat no fan or a/c. The elevators were slow and dangerous. The doors would stay open for only a few moments and then violently slam.
For the money this hotel charges and for what you get.....I would take my business elsewhere.

Shoreview, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We had a pretty good stay here and based on the other reviews, were actually (somewhat) pleasantly surprised.

Probably the weakest aspect of our stay was the first impression. The surrounding area in downtown Poughkeepsie is a little rough, and as we approached the hotel I noticed the faded sign that simply read "Hotel" in the 1980's Radisson font. We pulled into the jam-packed drive past the ugly attached civic center and into a gross city-run garage (parking is free). Then we walked through the nauseating smell of fried food exhaust into a smoky elevator.

Once inside, things got better. The staff was exceptionally personable. The hotel was clearly "grander" in the 1980s but has been renovated to slightly above 2-star standards. The hallways were outdated but clean. The room was also newly renovated, with good mattresses, marble-topped furniture and a large flat screen. The HVAC worked fine and the room was quiet enough. We awoke next morning to a complimentary but otherwise unexceptional American breakfast. (Although I thought the several "gratuity not included" signs were odd; free breakfasts often include a tip jar but it really wasn't full-service.)

The truly above-average part of our stay was the banquet service. The food was great and plentiful. Calamari, oysters, carving stations...and that was the appetizer course! The kitchen worked the miracle of grilling steaks to order for the guests, and mine was huge and well-cooked. Bananas foster was flamed in front of the guests, which was very cool.

Two miscellaneous things I also noticed: first, the hotel seems to take cleanliness seriously. The mattress was wrapped in a protective sheet and the tv remotes are these "easy to sanitize" models. Also, while we didn't use it the room service menu was the most affordable I have ever seen...basically normal restaurant prices.

All in all, I would only stay here as a normal traveler if I got a great deal. However, based on my experience as a guest I wouldn't hesitate to host an event here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!