“Lobby Nice, Rooms Not so Much” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Poughkeepsie
Queens, NY
“Lobby Nice, Rooms Not so Much”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

The lobby area has a very nice modern theme to it, and the staff are very pleasant. However, the rooms are tiny (beds face the window rather than the TV) with paper thin walls and the rest of the hotel just feels awfully outdated. The hallways have wallpaper and carpeting that look like they're from the 80s, and the ugly beige bathroom tiles have a similar look. They really need to modernize these features of the hotel (to match the lobby). Oddly, there seems to be no vending machines anywhere in the hotel, despite the "vending" signs on each floor. They only have ice machines. Finally and while we didn't use it, the pool area looked junkier than other Courtyards we've stayed at. I'm a bit surprised how many glowing reviews this place got. I love Courtyards, but this one just doesn't measure up to the typical Marriott standards, in my opinion.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Lori_Poughkeepsie_GM, General Manager at Courtyard Poughkeepsie, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding our hotel in Poughkeepsie. We sincerely appreciate guest feedback as it helps us to improve our product and services. We are pleased to advise you that we are in the process of renovating our guest rooms. This will provide our guests with a completely updated facility by spring 2013. Having completed the lobby last year, adding the Bistro for breakfast, dinner, evening bar service and Starbucks has added convenience and a sophisticated element to our lobby and public space. Our 24 Hour market with its fresh food and large selection of snack and drinks has replaced vending machines. We do hope that you will consider stopping in to see all of the changes on your next trip to the Hudson Valley.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Albany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

spent a weekend night just before Christmas, and would definately recommend to others. The hotel is clean and spiffy, the staff and management attentive and friendly. A solid choice if youre in the area.

• Stayed December 2012
Lori_Poughkeepsie_GM, General Manager at Courtyard Poughkeepsie, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel and staff. We always appreciate feedback from our guests. We hope to see you again soon.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

It has to take something either very special or horrible to cause me to take the time to review a property, place or product. I am taking the time to write about one of the service people, Salim Akkawi who works in the restaurant area of the hotel. Although having slept well in the hotel, I awoke not in the best of moods, having had a quite alot on my miind. I was not rude but I certainly was not all that pleasant when finding out how breakfast worked here; it not the usual buffet style but you have to order everything all at once and I had not even had my coffee. Mr. Akkawi was very polite and quite frankly, very kind at seeing my mood. He left my tab open so that I could have coffee first and "wake up" and then proceed to order my breakfast. He always had a smile and kept repeating that "nothing was a problem" and that he "would take care of everything". His attitude was genuine which is rare and although I was a stranger he really seemed to want myself and my family to be very comfortable. He is an asset to this hotel and I did thank him personally and apologize for my mood. His response was that service is his business and he just wants everyone to feel comfortable and good. He wished me a happy holiday and his warmth was truly a gift. As for the rest of the hotel, the lobby is beautiful and the fireplace is very welcoming. The rooms are big and the beds are comfortable. My only complaint is that the room itself could have been cleaner. I would not dare to sit in the bathtub after finding a few hairs that did not belong to any member of my family. I did however take a shower and that was fine. Overall it is a place that I would recommend for the weary traveller.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your sincere review and comments regarding your experience with Salim in our restaurant. I know that Salim is truly interested in making every guest interaction special. Thank you for recognizing this in your review. We will be sure to share your feedback with all of our staff and will paying close attention to the bathroom cleanliness. We hope to see you again and wish you a healthy and happy new year.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

Didn't think the twelve miles or so from I-84 was a very big deal. Until we hit the traffic! It was stop and go for a solid twelve miles, which took at least 45 minutes. But if your interested in saving a few bucks, it might be worth the aggravation. It looked like the renovations definitely stopped at the lobby. But the rooms were clean. Except for the bad smell from the heating unit. Front desk service was pleasant though which is always nice.

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of our hotel. We appreciate the extra effort that guests take to share their experiences. As you noted, we did complete a full renovation of our lobby and public spaces last year. This included the addition of our Bistro with fresh choices for breakfast, dinner and drinks. We have plans in place to complete our guest room renovations in early 2013. We do hope that you will consider visiting us again soon.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I had to stay here while waiting on the movers to arrive with my belongings. Location is on the "main drag" and was convenient to my new residence. Front desk staff friendly & knowledgable. Lobby area features a nice bistro where you can order from a limited menu food & drinks. Rooms were comfortable, wi-fi worked well. Bath area a bit small but adequate. I didn't take advantage of it but the hotel features an indoor pool & jacuzzi. Some rooms feature a fridge, be sure to ask. Overall a comfortable place to stay!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to stay with us while you were in the process of transitioning to your new residence nearby. We understand that there are many options for hotels in the area and appreciate the opportunity to be your host. We hope that you are comfortably settled in your new home. Please consider stopping by to see our renovations which are expected to be complete in March 2013.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Overall, the stay was great. Everyone was helpful and friendly. The rooms were clean, but only one downfall was the pull out sofa had no sheets. They were very accommodating and took care of the sofa bed, with no issue. I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012
Sylva
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My brother made reservations for our family to stay in Poughkeepsie next to the wedding venue. The hotel staff was friendly, accomodating, and helpful. The room was clean, no smell of smoke and comfortable. I am very pleased how Marriott always knows how to treat their customers. Never a surprise and always enjoyable.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poughkeepsie
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie
Days Inn Poughkeepsie
Days Inn Poughkeepsie
#7 of 13 in Poughkeepsie
3.5 of 5 stars 360 reviews

Been to Courtyard Poughkeepsie? Share your experiences!