“Best lttle B&B in the Hudson Valley” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Copper Penny Inn

Copper Penny Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Poughkeepsie
Copper Penny Inn
You added Copper Penny Inn to your Saves list
2406 New Hackensack Rd, Poughkeepsie, NY 12603   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Poughkeepsie B&B and Inns
New England
“Best lttle B&B in the Hudson Valley”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We have been visiting the Hudson Valley every autumn for the last 10 years. This was our first stay at The Copper Penny. I wish we had found it sooner. It is a hidden gem tucked into the Hudson Valley! Wonderful atmosphere, engaging breakfast conversation, gourmet, (but not rich) food. Our room was the smallest of all of them, but we had enough space for everything and the bathroom made up for it in square footage. The decor fits well with the architectural structure of this 1800's building. All in all, it was perfect. Location, accomodations, food and the Innkeeper and chef's hospitality make this place a huge underpriced value! We will visit again next year!

Room Tip: The front "Lion Room" is quaint and cozy.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

My daughter was doing an overnight at Vassar and, having previously stayed at the Days Inn in Poughkeepsie, I was looking for a nicer place to spend the evening. From the moment I called The Copper Penny Inn to check rates and availability, the experience was 5 star. Michael, the owner, was friendly and informative, suggesting a better travel route than I had planned and offering advice on where to eat dinner in town. When I arrived I was struck by how lovely the property is. It's quite set back from the road, with a circular drive leading to a lovely inn. To the side of the inn there's a gorgeous stone patio surrounded by lawn and gardens. Inside, the gracious living room is comfortable and inviting-I wish I had more time to spend there.

The owner could not have been warmer, welcoming me in, offering me cookies and the use of a larder supplied with a great selection of teas and coffee. The room I stayed in, the Nest, was just perfect. They have approached everything with an eye to detail and comfort. The room had lovely period detailing while fulfilling contemporary levels of convenience. There were extra pillows and blankets, the bathroom was clean and sparkling, the view was onto a lovely home vegetable garden with corn stalks. My computer worked perfectly. The bed was great and I had a wonderful night's sleep.

I really want to rave about the breakfast. It was way beyond my expectations, even from a top quality b+b. Steel cut oatmeal with a wonderful selection of things to add- nuts, fruit, etc., homemade sausage which was out of this world, oj, muffin.... a really wonderful way to start the morning.

Staying here was a wonderful experience. I would highly recommend the inn to everyone heading that way. While it's slightly more costly than the hotel in town, the quality of the stay is so significantly better that it's worth every penny.

Room Tip: Ask for the large room with the king size bed or the nest.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Florence, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

tripadvisor ununderstandable....probably too many friends and family have been writing around....
we were asked to pay as soon as we got to the inn 167.22 dollars...given no receipt....and accomodated i a room that was tiny and supposed to be cozy....it revealed really poorly furbished with the saddest broken waste paper basket, windows that couldn't be opened....blue makeup towels not even good to clean the floor....a shower that didn't know about mixed temperatures and much more...
the gourmet breakfast was served probably too late for us and we renounced...
we are italian travellers used to beauty, taste and owner's attention at five stars bed and breakfasts....this one has only the price of one of those!

New York City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Michael the owner and Major D'Oumo obviously & understandably takes great pride in the physical space of his B&B. Our room was clean, spacious and comfortable. Breakfasts were hand-done, carefully planned, and very nicely executed. Since Michael's family lives there, it involved children -- who were fine with us, but if one wanted daytime quiet, or to nap, or just to sit on the porch and relax on the weekend, the volume of the yard games the kids and their friends played could be a problem. We were happy enough to be there though, despite a bill that was maybe (?) a little out of synch with that which was rendered.

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I just returned from several days at the Copper Penny Inn. A group of us attending a wedding rented the entire inn.

Our room was spacious and very comfortable; the ensuite bathroom was great as well. Michael recommended a trip to the Vassar art gallery that enriched my visit.

When it turned out half of us didn't eat wheat, Michael offered gluten-free options for all meals and snacks. I always pack some gluten-free food when traveling, but it was lovely to be able to enjoy a leisurely breakfast with the rest of our party.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Lodi, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

The Copper Penny is an incredible place! My boyfriend and I stayed one night in September, but I plan to be back and have already recommended it to many people traveling in the area. We were greeted by the Noah the Innkeeper, who was alright with us being late for check in due to navigation issues, and ushered into the relaxing common area. There, he assisted us in finding a place to dine, as well as offered us coffee, tea and fresh baked cookies (and man were they delicious!). We are both professional cooks, so good food is a priority on trips. Imagine our delight when Noah produced a HUGE binder full of restaurant menus and reviews, as well as a plethora of knowledge about the local fare (he is a current CIA student and works part time at the restaurant we chose to eat at). Needless to say, an incredibly inviting arrival.
We stayed in the Lion room, which was beautiful and cozy, perfect for a romantic night. The bed was comfortable, the private bath was immaculate and gorgeous, and the furnishings incredibly tasteful.
In the morning we met Michael, the owner of the Inn, who served us an incredibly delicious and locally sourced breakfast, some of which was made by CIA students. We talked food, local art scenes, wine making, etc..this is one knowledgeable and welcoming guy. Before we left he gave us a very helpful map and insider directions that aided us many times through the remainder of the trip.
This is how all B&B experiences should be...comfortable, relaxing, informative, delicious.

Charleston, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

First, the good news. We had the king room and it was lovely. Very comfortable bed, large bathroom, nicely appointed. The innkeeper, Michael, was as nice as everyone else reported and extremely helpful. And indeed, although a bit of a drive to most places, certainly within a reasonable distance to many terrific attractions. Grounds lovely, beautiful gardens and a nice wooded area as well as a nice outdoor seating area. Now the bad news. There is indeed road noise such that we had to sleep with the windows closed altho we would have preferred fresh air. More importantly our breakfast, altho it looked great, was so cold that it was inedible. For this kind of money, the inn really provides two things, a place to sleep and breakfast. Unfortunately they failed miserably on the second. To his credit, Michael was stunned when we told him so I guess it's unusual. BTW, he was not the cook. But he made no effort to compensate us for the problem. So for us, the inn was average at best.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Copper Penny Inn? Share your experiences!