“Gluten-free diets accommodated!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Copper Penny Inn

Copper Penny Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Poughkeepsie
Copper Penny Inn
You added Copper Penny Inn to your Saves list
2406 New Hackensack Rd, Poughkeepsie, NY 12603   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Poughkeepsie B&B and Inns
Seattle, Washington
“Gluten-free diets accommodated!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I just returned from several days at the Copper Penny Inn. A group of us attending a wedding rented the entire inn.

Our room was spacious and very comfortable; the ensuite bathroom was great as well. Michael recommended a trip to the Vassar art gallery that enriched my visit.

When it turned out half of us didn't eat wheat, Michael offered gluten-free options for all meals and snacks. I always pack some gluten-free food when traveling, but it was lovely to be able to enjoy a leisurely breakfast with the rest of our party.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Lodi, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

The Copper Penny is an incredible place! My boyfriend and I stayed one night in September, but I plan to be back and have already recommended it to many people traveling in the area. We were greeted by the Noah the Innkeeper, who was alright with us being late for check in due to navigation issues, and ushered into the relaxing common area. There, he assisted us in finding a place to dine, as well as offered us coffee, tea and fresh baked cookies (and man were they delicious!). We are both professional cooks, so good food is a priority on trips. Imagine our delight when Noah produced a HUGE binder full of restaurant menus and reviews, as well as a plethora of knowledge about the local fare (he is a current CIA student and works part time at the restaurant we chose to eat at). Needless to say, an incredibly inviting arrival.
We stayed in the Lion room, which was beautiful and cozy, perfect for a romantic night. The bed was comfortable, the private bath was immaculate and gorgeous, and the furnishings incredibly tasteful.
In the morning we met Michael, the owner of the Inn, who served us an incredibly delicious and locally sourced breakfast, some of which was made by CIA students. We talked food, local art scenes, wine making, etc..this is one knowledgeable and welcoming guy. Before we left he gave us a very helpful map and insider directions that aided us many times through the remainder of the trip.
This is how all B&B experiences should be...comfortable, relaxing, informative, delicious.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

First, the good news. We had the king room and it was lovely. Very comfortable bed, large bathroom, nicely appointed. The innkeeper, Michael, was as nice as everyone else reported and extremely helpful. And indeed, although a bit of a drive to most places, certainly within a reasonable distance to many terrific attractions. Grounds lovely, beautiful gardens and a nice wooded area as well as a nice outdoor seating area. Now the bad news. There is indeed road noise such that we had to sleep with the windows closed altho we would have preferred fresh air. More importantly our breakfast, altho it looked great, was so cold that it was inedible. For this kind of money, the inn really provides two things, a place to sleep and breakfast. Unfortunately they failed miserably on the second. To his credit, Michael was stunned when we told him so I guess it's unusual. BTW, he was not the cook. But he made no effort to compensate us for the problem. So for us, the inn was average at best.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hershey, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I needed more than just a hotel, so my wife would not shoot me for bringing her to my 40th high school reunion. We could not have had a better stay than at the Copper Penny Inn. Great location in Poukeepsie to visit all sites...train walking bridge, FDR/ Hyde Park/Culinary school/Vanderbuilt estates, Milbrook wine tour, Samuel Morse "code" museum, and Vasaar is right down the street! Great Owners-very accomadating, love the house/rooms/gardens/chickens, great breakfast-I am so tired of those hotel breakfast things...you gottah stay here...tell them Dr. C. sent you!

Room Tip: rooms and rate posted on line to help you choose the right room/price for you
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

The Copper Penny Inn was a great find and a hidden gem. The inn keeper makes a delightful breakfast in the morning and was very helpful with local restaurant recommendations. I would highly encourage a visit. The inn also has wireless internet and is very close to Vassar, two things that were mistaken in other reviews. I couldn't be more pleased with our stay.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

There are several things which make this Inn a distinctive pleasure. First is the certainty that Michael, the owner, loves his place. You can feel it. From the wall treatment to the unique breakfast servings to the artwork and furniture, he knows what he's doing. The person who said that the Copper Penny is run-down simply doesn't have a clue what he is talking about. There is TLC here from one end to the other. The dining room doesn't have prints on the wall...it has art. Second, Michael knows the town. We were able to plan our limited time in Poughkeepsie to perfection. We went to a suggested small restaurant nearby and had dishes that were unique, scrumptious, and reasonably priced. M. tuned into our needs, got us where we needed to go, and gave us brilliant directions through the city and up to Hyde Park and then back to CT. Thanks, Michael. There's more to say, but, simply put, we're sending our friends to the Copper Penny Inn.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Sherman Oaks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

The rooms are lovely, breakfast terrific, and service really sweet. My room was large with old hardwood floors and an amazing bathroom with a large stall shower and a great old bathtub. All the little touches were spot on. All of this was a bit surprising because, aside from the large copper penny hanging from the sign on the road, the building itself looked like little more than a nice, well-kept home. I wasn't even entirely sure I was in the right place once I drove in the driveway because there was no additional signage on the B&B. When I checked in, I was shown where the night snacks were: homemade oatmeal and chocolate chip cookies (way too good), apples, hot water and teas, cold filtered watwr in the fridge. The common areas are great too. I've stayed in a few other places in the area and this is the best by far.

• Stayed May 2012

Been to Copper Penny Inn? Share your experiences!