“Would not recommend this hotel, ever!” 1 of 5 stars

Mercury Grand Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2170 South Rd, Rt. 9, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601   |
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Poughkeepsie
Ottawa
“Would not recommend this hotel, ever!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as a family for one night. We were greeted by a friendly girl at the front desk but when it came time to ask her to shut down the hip hop thumping party next door around midnight, she was less than effective. She eventually gave us a new room after three calls but at 12:30 am moving two young children and a grumpy husband makes for a lousy start of a vacation. Not to mention when we arrived our room was at least 85 degrees inside, reeked of cigarette smoke and the smoke alarm was chirping. Even after changing the batteries it still chirped so the manager just took the batteries out. Great. The hotel is home to a Saturday night comedy club - the joke was on us!

Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
North Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We were at the Clarion back in May 2012 with a huge wedding entourage for 3 days. Staff beyond friendly and accommodating. Hotel and the room is a little worn/outdated could use a facelift no doubt, but not a big deal, ideal location off the main road, access to restaurants, pharmacies, walmart, kohls’, etc..

Pool was not in any condition to use. Continental breakfast was good, no issues

Considering price, holiday weekend with area college graduations, all in all a good deal with no real complaints.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Cleveland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I stayed with my daughter for one night on Oct. 6 because her college tennis team was booked here. The front desk staff were friendly enough, but the place just did not smell good. There are no elevators. The rooms are very old and dated. The wall paper in the hall was coming off. It really needs to be refurbished. There were 2 double beds in the room and the bedding/sheets were old and the mattress was not comfortable at all. My daugher is used to the low budget hotels because when they are "on the road" that's what the college books to save money. But she wasn't thrilled with the room either. My husband & I prefer the Marriott properties. I've stayed at the Best Western in Olean, NY which was really nice. This hotel chain needs to step it up on this one!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hopewell Junction, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I had a great experience at this hotel. The staff was extremely friendly (everybody from the Bartenders to the cooks and servers.) My room was very clean..no complaints. The hotel has an ideal location on rt. 9 which is perfect for those who are traveling in the area. Affordable prices and fantastic breakfast. Theres an indian resturant, multiple bars, and a comedy club for guests to enjoy. I plan on coming back very soon. I spoke with the sales manager as well. He was a nice fellow.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This "motel" is something I never would have stayed in had I been the person booking our room reservations for this conference. Once I arrived and checked into the room, I was reminded why I hate low budget hotels. However, the price for this place is way too much for what you get.

First let me state that the hotel front desk clerk was nice and very helpful.

Following are the problems I have with this hotel:
1) Windows are old, doesn't have a window screen, and we're in desperate need of replacement.

2) The furniture belongs in someones great, great grandmothers house.

3) The bathtub had crud in it that had fallen out of the air vent that is directly about the tub. The tub had scratches and in general just looked untidy. I certainly would taken a tub in it.

4) The wall paper is peeling from the water leak, we are in a top floor room, which is their 3rd floor.

5) Dead bug on the floor lamp stand.

6) Doors are dirty.

I just got the overall feeling that their cleaning isn't up to par. We were there for just 1 night, but I wouldn't recommend it for just one night (unless you're used to this caliber of hotel).

There are better options up the road (heading north on highway US9) and I recommend check them out first.

I write this as I'm about

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Falmouth, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Hi Threre,

We booked a night at this hotel on booking.com but never ended staying there. The price was $149/night + Taxes. We accidentally booked a smoking room on booking.com (not sure how, but that is what showed up on the reservation at the hotel). The hotel was not able to move us to another room because they didn't have any available. We took the keys, went to the room, and within 30 seconds of being there we decided that the cigarette smell of the room was too overwhelming for us to endure the entire night. We went to the front desk and requested a refund. The told us to contact Booking.com first but it shouldn't be an issue. We called booking.com, reached a live (U.S. based) person immediately, and within 5 minutes they had called the hotel manager and negotiated a full refund. Needless to say, I was very impressed with booking.com.

I can't attest to the non-smoking rooms, but the smoking rooms at the Clarion were pretty bad...

We ended up staying at the Courtyard Marriott in Fishkill for $159/night + Taxes which was great.

Hope someone finds this helpful.

Cheers!

Chuck

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

This hotel has an excellent staff and I always feel welcomed. If you are looking for entertainment check out their comedy club. If you want a hearty meal check out their restaurant. Most of all is you want to relax this hotel is for you. It clean, many upgrades have been done, quaint and a good place to just Be. The manager has a smiling face for you which helps you feel at home.
If you like the simple things try it out. Very central to shopping malls etc.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Mercury Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!