“Barely acceptable” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 Poughkeepsie

Save Saved
You added Super 8 Poughkeepsie to your Saves list
Super 8 Poughkeepsie
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2349 South Road, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601 (Formerly Arnav Inn)   |
Ranked #8 of 14 hotels in Poughkeepsie
New York City, New York
“Barely acceptable”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

Recently stayed here because I was traveling with my 2 small dogs and needed a "pet-friendly" place. The pet policy here is absurd; $25 per night PER PET! There is absolutely no reason to charge for an additional dog! I know some people who travel with their pets may not be very considerate, but even so, $25 per night is more than enough to cover possible extra cleaning should that be necessary. Our room was large, as others have stated, with a King bed, but there was a big empty space between the bed and the window with one hard, not rolling chair; no couch, no comfy lounge chair, no ottoman, no desk chair, meaning we had to lie in bed to watch TV or read. The carpet was wrinkled in places, almost to the point of being a tripping hazard. The refrigerator froze all the food. The continental breakfast was a joke! I should have stayed at the Hampton Inn next door which served a full hot breakfast and charged a $40 PER STAY pet charge regardless of the number of pets or days stayed.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Urvi7, Manager at Super 8 Poughkeepsie, responded to this review, March 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to send your comments. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you experienced. Our pet fees are same for all the guest and I have addressed these concerns about room funitures with my staff and management. Please contact me personally the next time you are planning a visit to Pooughkeepsie. I promise you will have a better stay.

92 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Carrollton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

I have stayed at approximately 10 local hotels in the area over the 4 years my daughter has attended one of the local colleges. Since staying at this one, we have only came here. The staff is very accomidating. During our most recent stay, there was a city wide power outage from 4:30 am to 7:30 am. The staff sprang into action conserving heat by closing all the hallway doors and were everywhere. Felt very comfortable to go back to my room and go back to bed. They had all under control. The nice lady who cleaned the room always came back when it was convenient for us. And when she did come back to clean our room she really spruced it up. We will only stay here in the future on our trips to Poughkeepsie.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Urvi7, Manager at Super 8 Poughkeepsie, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how much you have enjoyed your stay. I hope we have exceeded your expectations! I am so proud of my team and glad to hear they made your stay a memorable one. We hope to see you again on your next visit to the Poughkeepsie!
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

I stayed in a non-smoking room, king sized bed on the first floor for 3 nights. The room was very large, easily could have fit two kings. The mattress was firm and had very warm blankets. The heater worked extremely well, but there was a slight odor when I first turned it on. From what I could tell, the room had always been non-smoking.
There was a mini-fridge, however it was set to freeze everything. There is a microwave in the lobby however, so that was not a problem.
The room was clean, and the staff did a nice job of putting the room back in order every day.
A few negatives about the room- One was a small thing; the hotel only provided shampoo and not conditioner. The second, a much larger issue, is noise.
While the halls are quiet and the staff is quick to respond to noisy people in the halls/common areas, I ended up awake half the night because I could hear the ceiling creaking as the people above me walked around their room.
If you're going to stay at this hotel, a second floor room is a must- but then you'll have to use the stairs because there is no elevator.

The breakfast is standard fair- plain bagels, two kinds of cereal, and some mini-muffins. The juice machine was functional although the juices were rather off color from what I expect orange or apple juice to look like. The toaster was too enthusiastic, and had to be watched constantly or the bagel would burn. There is no sign posted to this effect.

The staff wasn't overly friendly, but did everything I'd expect. I had no problem checking in late, 9pm.

The hotel is in a very good location- it's about 5 minutes drive from the local mall and maybe 15 to downtown. I was easily able to drive around to Poughkeepsie and New Paltz without stressing out about the drive 'home'. The only thing I'd mention is from Route 9 it looks like there is only one entrance to the hotel (which is off of a one way street), but if you go around the other hotel and restaurant in the same plaza then you come out to an exit which goes out to a light, allowing you can turn in either direction.

For an inexpensive hotel, it met my expectations in most respects. The only issue was the noisy ceiling but a second floor room would solve that.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor won't have creaking ceiling issue- but there are only stairs, no eleva...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Urvi7, Manager at Super 8 Poughkeepsie, responded to this review, January 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to give us review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us and we will utilize your response by continuing to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be. We hope to be of service to you in the future.

Again, thank you for completing our Hotel and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 845-462-7800
Hudson Falls, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

I conduct business in Poughkeepsie every month and stay at this location. The staff is always friendly and often when I arrive to check in and I state my name they reply with "We have been expecting you Mr. LaBelle".

Last night they were very busy at arount 9:45 PM and Joanne was great she was being pulled in every direction possible and the service she was giving was still Great!!!!

I will be back next month...........

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
supeight, General Manager at Super 8 Poughkeepsie, responded to this review, November 7, 2011
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to give us a feedback, which is extremly valuable to us, so we can utilize your response by continuing to focus on making each and every guest including you my Labelle experience the best it can be.

We will see you next month.

READING
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

Like MBCNY, I was leary of staying here based on previous reviews, but was very pleasantly surprised. The staff was great--even got us an extra pillow for the bed without any problem. Room was very clean and well cared for. Bed was clean and very comfortable. We had a king room and it was very large! Microwave in the room, but no refrigerator. We were only there one night to be relatively close to a bike trail we were riding the next day, but could have easily stayed there several days without any problem. Only reasons I gave this a 4-star instead of a 5 was: we could really hear the people upstairs walking around, even thought they weren't particularly noisy; and the breakfast wasn't as good as we've had at other places like this--2 kinds of cereal and a couple pastries. Would definitely stay here again if in the area, though!

Room Tip: We had the king room which was really large! Only about 45 minutes from the Harlem Valley Rail Trai...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
supeight, General Manager at Super 8 Poughkeepsie, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
Thank you for taking you time to let us know about you experience. We hope to see you in future.
Central New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

I was very worried about staying here because of all the negative reviews, but I needed a place that would accept pets and the Super 8 did. I, along with several members of my extended family ended up staying here because of a funeral. The staff was wonderful to us. The room I stayed in was a designated pet room so I expected the worst, but I was pleasantly surprised. There were no odors and it was very clean. The amenities were basic but suited our needs for a short stay.
So, if you are looking for a place to stay at a good price the Super 8 is fine.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Various
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

Rooms not cleaned, bedding dirty (body odor from previous guests)...staff helpful, but could care less. Breakfast buffet had stale food. Showers good. Sign outside stating that the land is for sale as Prime Commercial Location means they are waiting to tear the place down....so no one there cares about these ratings, cause it will be gone soon....we can only hope...

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to Super 8 Poughkeepsie? Share your experiences!