“Unpleasant” 2 of 5 stars

Save up to 20%
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Poughkeepsie
“Unpleasant”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in numerous places around the country. I have been very lucky to be able to travel often. However I am beyond displeased with this best western. Never in my life have I been treated so poorly, and I can genuinely say it was mainly based off of the customer service, which gave me this impression. My group was threatened, she (the manager) was rude, downgrading, and disrespectful. Our party were all in our late twenties, yet treated like a high school group on a field trip. We were even threatened to be charged illegally for other rooms, if there were noise complaints, which of course, there weren't. Even after, her offensive behavior, we found numerous beetles in the room. I will never stay in this hotel again, nor would I recommend this location to fellow travelers. I give credit to the other hotel patrons who apologized to us for the disrespect we were given, by management, which is appreciated, however I am appalled at how this location is being run.

• Stayed September 2013
Carol R, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Inn & Suites At the Falls, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
I am sorry your group feels this way. We do have policies and try to make every guests stay exceptional. We do not tolerate parties in the rooms so that the other guests are not disturbed. That being said I just wanted to make sure that a party was not planned and to tell you our policy. I hope you do come back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Manorville, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

My friends and I rented a room for a single night for the weekend. We had 5 people going and 4 people registered. In the past, at other Best Westerns, as long as we told them we had 5 people we would receive an additional charge which we were willing to pay. No problem! What the REAL problem was when my friends and I checked in. The back door to the hotel was open and closer to our car, and rather than lugging all the suitcases the long way, we chose the back entrance which was already propped open. No sooner had we done this, we get a knock at the door from the manager who immediately tells us that we have to leave because they do not allow parties. What? We had been in the room for 15 minutes, so what party? We were being watched, we were told, and because we had some alcohol we were assumed to be having a party. I am 27. I am allowed to have a beer. When we offered to throw out the alcohol, if that was the problem, we were told we could either leave then and get our money back or leave later when the police would escort us out and we wouldn't get our money back. What? This woman assumed we were going to have a party and attempted to kick us out on something that hadn't happened. Considering one of the guests in the room is a COP, I highly doubt we were going to have an all night party. We were there for a haunted house! She also accused the men in the room of not being registered, when in reality, only my friend and three GUESTS were registered. Eventually, after explaining that we were not trouble and that we were going to pay the fee for the extra person, the manager left. To make sure that we wouldn't come back to the room with our stuff on the curb, the gentleman went and apologized for any confusion and asked how much the additional person would be. We were told 15 dollars. Fine. That is fine. However, the manager changed her tune and said that we had 4 women registered, even when she said none were, and threatened to charge us if people in other rooms left because of our behavior, which she cannot even do!
We were quiet, courteous and no complaints were made against us. There was a wedding party making plenty of noise, however, because it is a wedding party I doubt anyone would complain because it's a wedding! Let them be happy and rejoice!
I just never felt so insulted or uncomfortable in a hotel before.
I did not rate the experience entirely low because the gentleman at the front desk was polite and apologized to us. The room was clean, from the small amount of time we spent there because we went to the Headless Horseman attraction for the most part, and the breakfast was nice. The area is also nice and a lot of amenities are nearby.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
I am sorry your group feels they were treated wrong. We were trying to uphold policies of the hotel and to let guests know that we do not allow parties in our rooms like some hotels do.
Ithaca, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Hotel was nice and clean. Rooms were clean and decor nice. Beds comfortable. Unfortunately hotels in Poughkeepsie seem to be rather expensive, with this hotel being on the lower end of things for $150 night. Hotel located in safe neighborhood. Advertised a hot breakfast, but that was kind of a joke. Typical cold breakfast items and then I guess they consider hard boiled eggs, microwave breakfast sandwiches (YUCK) and make your own waffles to be a hot breakfast-they advertised Hot - eggs, meat, etc. LOL.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Carol R, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Inn & Suites At the Falls, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for staying with us.
Boucherville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Very good hotel, very quiet, good breakfast. Room was large, nice, and well maintained room. The location of the hotel is far from restaurants The access: from the interstate I87 il take a while to get to the hotel

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Carol R, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Inn & Suites At the Falls, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Bristol, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Because I read a lot of reviews before booking something now, I have found some great places to stay and some great restaurants, too. The Inn & Suites at the Falls is not your average chain hotel. It is super clean & updated, with a charming inn-like atmosphere and a nice location by the Falls. Complimentary breakfast with make your own waffles was outstanding. Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Carol R, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Inn & Suites At the Falls, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Thank you for staying with us.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We walked into the lobby to check in and immediately noticed a very odd smell. Like an overwhelming of Pledge cleaner. We strongly considered trying to cancel our reservation and moving to a different hotel.

The gentleman at the front desk was friendly. We got to our room and again noticed an odd smell. We weren't sure if we were imagining things due to the lobby stench. The room itself was decent. Furniture and bed was modern, the rest not so much. The windows and the doors have not been upgraded for sometime.

We left for a few hours and left the window open. Once we got back we could still smell the stench in the lobby but didn't notice I in our room.

Luckily we only had one night there. If it was any longer we definitely would have switched hotels. The price of the room was fine but I would have paid the little bit of difference for a different hotel.

We personally would never stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013
For the life of me I can't figure out what odor there could have been. I will continue to try and figure this out. That being said we work very hard to keep our hotel clean. The staff and I take great pride in our work. I'm sorry you did not enjoy your stay. We would love to have you back to see that this is not our norm.
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We stayed for one night, as a break in a long journey back to JFK, and an excurtion to the Walk over the Hudson bridge. We were greeted by Shonte on reception, who was so polite and helpful, suggesting local restaurants, and helping us find our way. Hotel is very clean, and room was good. Comfortable beds, nice breakfast, good wifi and a/c.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS The Inn & Suites At the Falls? Share your experiences!