“Rooms smelled horrible!!! Receptionist treated me like I was lying when I complained. Will not be back!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn Suites Poughkeepsie

Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 14 hotels in Poughkeepsie
Albany, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Do not expect good service here. I reserved a whirlpool suite for almost $200 with taxes. I looked forward to a relaxing, wonderful experience. The first room they gave me smelled like it had not been used in years, there was such a strong, musty, offensive odor. I requested a new room and the attendant was actually RUDE to me. He said that the new room should be fine and that if I had any more complaints he would send maintenance up to check it out. His tone made it perfectly clear that he did not believe me about the odor, not was he willing to make sure I ended up in a clean room that met my expectations. The second room smelled bad as well. Like cigarette smoke. I was told it was a non-smoking hotel, but it was obvious that either the room I was in used to be smoking or that a previous guest had not abided by the no smoking policy. I didn't bother to call the front desk as all he was willing to do was send up maintenance and that would be useless. You can't make a smell like that just magically dissapear. I just tried to make the best of it, putting scented lotion under my nose all night, so I wouldn't smell the horrible odor. Obviously, this hotel is not cleaned or staffed well. On a further note, the attendant at the front desk when I checked in refused to enroll me in the rewards system for Hilton. I asked him to please do it and apply my visit to the program. He said I would have to do it on-line in my room, get the number and then give it to him to apply it. I explained that I didn't have a computer and he was completely unapologetic. Worst "relaxing" night out ever!!!! Don't make the same mistake I did!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel - then you'll find a good room, hopefully! Lots of other hotels in the are...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
HamptonInnSuitesGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn Suites Poughkeepsie, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your experience with room odor and Front Desk Agent at our hotel. The problems you mentioned with our Front Desk Agent have been addressed. We appreciate you bringing this to us so that we can correct the issue and ensure it is not a problem for future guests. Please contact me directly so that we may further discuss the incident and come to satisfactory resolution. We are very sorry for any hassle or stress this may have caused you during your special time and we would really love to have you back so we can show you what our warm Hamptonality is all about.

314 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I was in the Poughkeepise are last month visiting some friends before the holiday. I had stayed at a few Hamptons before and found them always to be nice and consistent and this one was no different. It was very clean and it seemed like it had just opened. The front desk staff was very helpful, and it was obvious they either lived in the area or knew it very well. The breakfast in the morning was also larger than I expected and had a good amount of choices. Overall this was a great stay and when I come to visit again next year I plan on staying at the Hampton Inn again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
HamptonInnSuitesGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn Suites Poughkeepsie, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
On behalf of our entire staff, thank you for your review and recommendation to other travelers. Your kind words and mention of future visits mean the world to us. If there is anything we could have done to make your stay more enjoyable please let me know. We look forward to your return visit.
boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed here for one night - the overall stay was perfectly comfortable. The biggest complain we have is that this place is terribly wasteful - the breakfast was served entirely with desposable plates, bowls, cups, utensils, napkins. At the end of the meal, we were ashamed at the amount of trash we generated. When can you use reusable meal ware?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel! We truly do have an amazing staff and they do such a great job to make sure that our guests feel at home and have an exceptional stay - thank you for noticing!
I want to let you know that Hampton Brand is highly invested in preserving the environment and in 2009 introduced TAKE CARE program in all its hotels. Hampton Inn brand realizes that each year, 40 billion polystyrene utensils are thrown into landfills across the country. A large part of our Take Care initiative means moving to products that promote sustainability and renewal. What does this mean? It means that we’re making efforts to incorporate quality, affordable products that are either made with recycled content or are biodegradable. Since then all of our flatware is made from potatoes, Taterware is about as natural as you can get. This product is 100% compostable and won’t contaminate the soil or runoff water. It’s also approved by the FDA for direct food contact and can withstand hot food and liquids. Our TAKE CARE coffee cups are made of recycled paper materials. Moreover all of our hotels collateral and facial and toilet tissues are made from recycled content. Soap, shampoo and moisturizer- these products are 99% natural and biodegradable. The packaging is made with recyclable materials and features graphics printed with soy-based inks.
Hampton Brand realizes that If you buy a Styrofoam cup or plate, generations to come will be able to dig it up, rinse it off and use it—for up to 500 years! At Hampton, we want to make a different kind of lasting impression. Through our focus on renewal, we’re reducing our environmental footprint and increasing our standing as a responsible, lighthouse brand. I hope this information will show our Hamptonality and you will choose our Hotels for you next stay
N.Y.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed here this past week, We had a total of three rooms can't say enough about the Great staff at check inn and when we departed, the room was spotless, the beds clean,comfortable and the comp breakfast in the morning was fabulous with a great selection of muffins, sausage, eggs, juices and coffee. A really pleasant stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post such wonderful comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We are so glad you decided to give our hotel a try and found the amenities and the customer service were more than you expected. Thank you for staying with us and you look forward to seeing you when...
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Neither Expedia nor this hotel would make good on their mistake of not having the right number of beds in the room. I made a reservation through Expedia for Thanksgiving night for a room that could sleep 5. The confirmation said 5. I called a few days before the reservation date to confirm and was told by the hotel that the room can only sleep 4 and it was Expedia's mistake, but they could give me a room for 5 at a much higher price. They were not pleasant or helpful, and told me if I didn't want the more expensive room to call Expedia. i called Expedia and they said the hotel listed that room on their site for 5, so it was the hotel's fault and they called the hotel while I waited on line. When they came back they said there was nothing they could do but I could get a more expensive room. I will not use Expedia or any Hampton again. Neither disputed that it was not my mistake but neither took any responsibility.

Room Tip: Don't book through Expedia. Expedia booked a room for 5 and when it turned out the room could no...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your experience with reservations On Expedia site. The problems you mentioned with were addressed. I do apologize that you were given wrong information in third party website and mistake was spotted by our Front Desk agent when you call our Hotel directly. Please know that we are obligated to follow local Fire codes when it comes to maximum occupancy in each room. This is done having guest safety in mind. We appreciate you bringing this to us so that we can correct the issue with Expedia to have correct information on their site and ensure it is not a problem for future guests. Please contact me directly so that we may further discuss the incident and come to satisfactory resolution. We are very sorry for any hassle or stress this may have caused you during your special time and we would really love to have you back so we can show you what our warm Hamptonality is all about.
Kannapolis, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

This Hampton was very welcoming, impeccably clean and very comfortable. We were upgraded to a "junior suite" level room secondary to HHonors membership. The room was very spacious with plenty of room to spread out, read the paper, and relax. Breakfast was fine - standard Hampton protocol. The common breakfast area appeared either new or recently renovated. This chain does a nice job of paying attention to small cleanliness details - "clean remote", clean sheets/duvets, changed paper cups daily (no suspect glassware with paper covers). Overall, we were very pleased with our stay and will return when in the area again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
We appreciate you filling out our review on TripAdvisor! the staff is greatly invested in their property, looking to provide the best in comfort and cleanliness. Thank you for noticing their efforts, we hope to see you again in the near future!
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

stayed here for the second time while working at the FDR presidential library at Hyde Park, which is a 15-20 minutes drive away. The hotel is standard Hampton Inn - functional, well-run, and comfortable. Good breakfast (included in room rate), helpful staff, and handy location (if you have a car, of course: Galeria Mall just south. Italian restaurant next door - Coppola's is good). Has a swimming pool (which I didn't use) and exercise room (which I did) - latter in good shape, with a variety of machines; but overrun by a horde of subteens at the weekend (despite the house rules requiring parental supervision, etc.); it's a tribute to the machines that they withstood the battering. Come Monday, the horde had vanished and peace returned. I don't criticize the hotel for the subteen invasion, nor the subteens who behaved the way they normally do. This was mid-Dec., so maybe a feature of the Xmas vacation. But if you want a tranquil weekend, think again.

Room Tip: top floor probably the best bet for peace and traquillity, esp. at weekends
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
On behalf of our entire staff, we appreciate you taking the time to write your review of our property. I've shared your comments with our staff at our recent team huddle. We hope to see you again the next time you visit Poughkeepsie, NY in weekend with no sports teams in house. We're delighted you chose to stay with us!

Been to Hampton Inn Suites Poughkeepsie? Share your experiences!