“Always a great meal!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
South Colton, New York
“Always a great meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Every time my brother and sister-in-law visit from Virginia, they want to dine at the 1844 House. We always get a great meal and the atmosphere is very quaint and homey. It is the best restaurant in the area for fine dining.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Valentine's Day Romantic Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

1844 House is the best restaurant in this area!!!!! Since relocating to Potsdam from the city, I miss all the fine dining the city had to offer.

I consider 1844 House the "ONLY" true fine dining restaurant you will find in this area. It is sad since there are so many people in this community that would appreciate similar restaurants like 1844 House. I find it unusual that none of the other restaurants in this area can't provide the same level of service.

Meals are a little pricey, but worth every penny in taste and presentation!!! I don't mind spending money on excellent food, service and atmosphere. I find the portions to be perfect. The servers and wait staff are there when you need them, and don't "hover" over you during your meal. They are very professional and knowlegeable but not intrusive.

The "House" is small, but big with charm and warmth. It is tastefully decorated and immactulately clean unlike many of the area establisments. I believe that the cleanliness of the rest rooms is always a good indicator of the cleanliness of the entire restaurant.

Our Valentine dinner date was just as delicious as all the other dinners we have had at 1844 House. They featured a lovely blush sparkling wine, and the most amazing dessert I have ever tasted. I ordered the special lobster entree', and was not disappointed at all. Their house salads are always fresh. My dessert was the Cream Puff Swan. (see photo) The swan body was a cream puff floating in a pool of raspberry sauce and dusted with confectionary sugar. The wings were made from melted sugar drizzled in a pattern on wax paper to harden. It was so beautiful and decadant.

I highly recommend the 1844 House to anyone travelling to Potsdam, NY. It is fine dining with the highest standards and freshest ingredients.

The only two things I would suggest, but not necessary, would be more space between tables. The restaurant is small. The wait staff should be equipped with crumb vacuums to remove crumbs after dinner and before dessert. We discussed this with our waitress that evening. She thought it was a good idea. Just a nice touch. :)

• Visited February 2013
Boone, North Carolina
“Been a While, But....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

It has been a while since I have been here, but I have never had a bad meal - great food, good service...interesting choices. Pricey, but worth it!

Visited August 2012
Massena
“Lovely Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

My wife and just returned home from a lovely dinner at the 1844 House resturant in Potsdam N.Y. We went for the early dinner menu where the meals have smaller portions than their regular menu. The food was fantastic as usual. We are happy with the smaller portions as they satisfy our hunger and do not make us over full. The food is much richer than what we are use to so the larger portions really fill us up. The staff was just fantastic with the waitress there refilling the wine glasses as they got down a little and all the courses came just as the previous was done and we had a couple minutes to digest them. The timing was great as we never sat waiting but were not rushed to finish either. We recommend the resturant to everyone who wants a more formal dinner setting than what is offered at many north country resturants.

• Visited January 2013
Potsdam, New York
“A Matter of Taste?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I have been to the 1844 House more times than I can count, and too often I leave with the nagging sense that the experience lacked something. It is not the lack of atmosphere - the place has plenty - an old house that years ago was a private residence but long ago was converted to a restaurant and with much of the charm retained from the original home. It is not the lack of service - the hostess and wait staff always are right there, friendly, helpful, courteous. It's not the lack of a sense of privacy or intimacy - the low ceiling and spacing of the tables seems just right to keep conversations from excessively spilling over into neighboring ones. I'll attempt to illustrate my dilemma by describing an early January 2013 outing to the 1844 House.

My spouse and I, accompanied by another couple, had dinner at the 1844 House on a recent Friday evening. We had reservations for a time a little before the crowd arrived, and we were seated immediately on arrival. As we were trying to limit our caloric intake a bit in a post-Holiday return to more moderate eating habits, we opted not to have appetizers, but did indulge in a round of pre-dinner libations, which were nicely served and hit the spot. We ordered dinner, which included for our group two orders of the beef filet, a seafood pasta, and my order - a dinner course comprise of the french onion soup and the entre caesar salad with medallions of beef tenderloin. Speaking only for myself, I found the soup to look elegant with its cheese covered crouton lying thickly and nicely browned at the brim of the casserole, but the dish, unfortunately, lacked character - it was not oniony, did not have an identifiable broth base, it had nothing that stood out and made me want to say - this is good! The beef medallions on the caesar salad were done to perfection - medium rare was my choice - and were tender and nicely flavorful. The caesar salad, on the other hand, seemed a bit lackluster - the lettuce was tired in the way it might be had it been in contact with the dressing for quite a while, and the dressing itself lacked the piquancy of a freshly prepared caesar dressing. One of our party had the flourless chocolate cake and loved every bite of its absolutely beautiful presentation. We ended the meal with a round of coffees - it made a good finish, though the coffee was not very hot.

So what did the sense was lacking during this meal experience at the 1844 House? As has often been the case for me at the 1844 House, I would say for me it was the taste experience - for me it was lacking. Clearly this is a very individual matter, and I should be quick to say that my dinner companions did not come away feeling the same. But will I return? Of course I will - the 1844 House is a wonderful place where dining need not only be about the food.

• Visited January 2013