“Cockroach for dessert?” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Columbus, Ohio
“Cockroach for dessert?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

I really don't understand the positive reviews. Went with my father and boyfriend. We ordered soups, and several different kabobs to share. Prices seem great at first glance, but everything is a la carte. You have to order rice, and yes...even bread. Food was salty and mediocre. Very small portions. Service was horrible. The chicken kebobs were brought out 15 minutes after the other kebobs, when we were nearly done. They explained when they brought it out that chicken on the bone takes longer to cook. You don't know how to time the prep so that all guests at the table are served at the same time? That's restaurant 101. Was not even worth the wait. Mostly bone, and not much chicken.

To top off this waste of time and money, while the waiter was preparing our check, I spotted a cockroach crawling on the wall right behind my seat. I popped out of my chair and called to the manager and the waiter to come over. The manager looked at the roach, glanced up at the ceiling (not sure why), and said, "It must have come from outside. We had the door open." Of course! Whenever I open my door, the roaches just march right in. LOL.

We should have known better than to eat here. We arrived at lunchtime on a Thursday, and there was only one other person there. And this is in a very high traffic area with many shops. It seems the bad food and service have condemned this restaurant to a slow death, as well they should. But faster would be better. If you do decide to try this place, even after you've read my review, just beware that you may have an unexpected guest joining you. They never did bother to kill that roach.

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

New York
“Absolutely terrific meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I was excited that Uzbek restaurant opened up in Port Wash, even though, we live on the South Shore of the Island, and could be in Brooklyn in 40-45 minutes, I did not want to deal with hassles of potential Belt Pkwy traffic and then trying to find a parking spot. Plus, we were going to the Old Westbury Gardens on the same day, so naturally, Port Wash location was close by. We came during lunch time on a weekday, so understandably, the place was empty. The NY Times review was very favorable, but the positive reviews on Yelp have been mostly filtered and I agree with the owner of Kazan, this seems like a predatory practice Yelp uses ot extort monies from restaurants for advertisement. I hope Yelp changes its practices, I can only imagine how many good businesses got hurt. In any case, on to our experience. We came with our 3 kids who are very, very picky eaters, but when they see good food, they know it. The hummus appetizer was sublime, if I had this at home, I would have used my index finger to swipe all the remains off the plate. The manty were delicioius, the dough on them so thin, that's how they should be, in many places, the dough is too thick to prevent the ripping of the manty, however, it's just plain wrong, as it's supposed to just serve as an enclosure to the mix of meat, onions and spices inside. In most places, I just bite a small piece of dough, and then rip it apart to take out the meat, throwing away the rest of the dough, however, here, I was able to eat the manty the proper way, that is, just stuffing the whole thing into my mouth and letting the juice burst inside instead of licking on my fingers. The kebabs were out of this world-we tried the chicken and the lamd, so tender, juicy and well-seasoned. The plov was top-notch, and the only one that is on the same level is the one that my best friend from Tashkent makes at home. Kazan is certainly a great addition to the LI culinary scene, if you are looking for an unusual, yet, authentic experience, go there, you won't be disappointed, it's good to come with a crowd of 4-6 people at least, and sample each of the dishes.

• Visited June 2013
Port Washington, New York
“Simply the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I am very familiar with this type of food - I lived in Queens for 10 years and tried all of the similar restaurants. I do have my favorite place in Queens, and now I have one in Long Island. I moved to Port Washington 3 years ago and if had a craving for shish kebabs had to travel all the way to Forest Hills. Thanks to Kazan-I don't have to do it anymore. Beef kebab is the best I ever had. Plov is out of this world-real Uzbek taste. Salads are very tasty and their logman is simply to die for. Definitely a "must go to place" if you like this cuisine, or would like to try something new and tasty!

• Visited July 2013
West Palm Beach, FL
“Great opportunity to sample delicious Central Asian cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

First - I'd like to say that this restaurant is listed twice in tripadvisor and should probably be combined with its other listing which is just Kazan also under Pt Washington.

My mother lives in Pt. Washington and had already ordered takeout twice and eaten-in once. She had sampled many of the items on the menu and was looking to try new ones. So I was looking forward to the experience. We're of Russian background so were familiar with the flavors and tastes of many of the items. The restaurant was not crowded for a Friday night at 7. Only 2 or 3 other tables were filled and there was no one at the bar. However some folks did come in at around 8:30 - so perhaps we missed the LIRR train crowd and the late evening patrons hadn't yet arrived.

There were 3 of us and we sampled a lot of food. We began with the Samsa and Pan Seared Pelmeni, along with some of the Lepshka (tandoori) bread. We all liked the Samsa - my mother did not like the pelmeni - she prefered pelmeni in soup offered elsewhere on the menu. We then went for 1 each of lamb and beef kebabs. Both were excellent - tender and juicy. In fact - when next we're in town, we'd like to come for lunch and have more of the kebabs. We also ordered the Assorted Pickled Vegetables as a salad and all enjoyed the very fresh, pretty looking dish.

My husband ordered the Manty - which takes 30 minutes to prepare - so he'd ordered that when we put in our initial appetizer/salad/kebab order. My mother had the Uzbek Plov and I had the whole fish (red snapper). We all tried each of the items and were pleased with the spices and flavors. All were displayed nicely. We were too full for dessert!

My rating is based on the subtle and delicious flavors/taste of the food. Service was attentive but nothing extraordinary. The interior was very attractive.

We will definitely go again. We hope that this fairly new restaurant succeeds. We would also suggest that they offer specials or change up the menu. My mother said that nothing has changed since opening other than one of the items hasn't been available for several months (but is still on the menu - Chebureki).

• Visited June 2013
Mineola, New York
“Great Food! Awesome atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We came here on Saturday Night and its a good thing we made reservations. There were six of us and we enjoyed every aspect of the restaurant. The Kebobs were juicy and tender. The salads were fresh and quite appetizing. We shared the Uzbek Plov and were "blown away" by the flavor...it was absolutely delicious. There was a live band playing and the bar was packed with people. Each of us tried their specialty cocktails..all of them were outstanding. I will definitely be back with more friends.

• Visited April 2013